JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
That time of the year has come when all you can think about is... Christmas presents. - 11-18-2010, 12:31 AM

So, we're approaching December and with it comes the craziness that is having to think of what to get everyone for Christmas. I don't know about you guys, but every year I find myself struggling to come up with something good to buy, like, I spend HOURS trying to figure it out. Is it the same for you guys? Cause I don't know if it's just me, but this whole thing gets on my nerves. Especially when a friend tells you how happy she is cause she came up with a great idea for a present, then she asks if you've thought of something and GAAAAAAAH I have a sudden mood swing. That bad. And it is wrong cause buying stuff for your loved ones is supposed to be a happy thing, something you do out of joy, but I get all stressed up and end up just getting whatever just to get it over with. Cause honestly... parents? I mean, what is one supposed to get for their parents? Like they don't have everything they need already! So really, I could use some help. Words of inspiration. Fresh ideas. Anything.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-18-2010, 12:40 AM

One of the many things I love about being in Japan is being 1000's of km away from any family. Being so far away means I don't have to worry at all about getting any gifts for them all. We have a video skype chat on Christmas Day with family and that's about it. There's only my wife and child I need to get gifts for and we normally have some friends over for Christmas dinner. To be honest my wife and I rarely get each other anything but now with a kid Christmas takes on a bit more meaning again.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

11-18-2010, 12:57 AM

Screw presents, Christmas break is always gift enough for me. lol

But, seriously, I don't think you're the only one that stresses over what to buy. Personally, I don't care whether I get no gift or the "wrong" gift, it's a bit corny to say, but I just appreciate hanging out with the family. I'd be grateful to receive anything at all.

I don't know you or your family. But you do. You should have some idea of what they enjoy doing or what might interest them. An expensive gift is fine and all, but a meaningful gift can stay with a person for a lifetime.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

11-18-2010, 01:10 AM

I like this pagan festival.

Off-topic edit: Yo suki 4-0.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 11-18-2010 at 01:12 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-18-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
So, we're approaching December and with it comes the craziness that is having to think of what to get everyone for Christmas. I don't know about you guys, but every year I find myself struggling to come up with something good to buy, like, I spend HOURS trying to figure it out. Is it the same for you guys? Cause I don't know if it's just me, but this whole thing gets on my nerves. Especially when a friend tells you how happy she is cause she came up with a great idea for a present, then she asks if you've thought of something and GAAAAAAAH I have a sudden mood swing. That bad. And it is wrong cause buying stuff for your loved ones is supposed to be a happy thing, something you do out of joy, but I get all stressed up and end up just getting whatever just to get it over with. Cause honestly... parents? I mean, what is one supposed to get for their parents? Like they don't have everything they need already! So really, I could use some help. Words of inspiration. Fresh ideas. Anything.

our children never give us anything I don't expect them to.

Being a part of the family is the most important and getting stressed over what to buy etc is unnecessary.

I have to laugh when you say that your parents have everything already-- Are you sure about that? I should think that something hand made with love is precious. even a simple card telling them how much you love them. I hate this materialism.

Christmas was about the birth of Christ--

How many people realise that? It should not be about expensive gifts.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

11-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative
One of the many things I love about being in Japan is being 1000's of km away from any family. Being so far away means I don't have to worry at all about getting any gifts for them all.
Ahhh lucky! Maybe I should consider moving far far away if that would spare me the agony x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydalert
Personally, I don't care whether I get no gift or the "wrong" gift, it's a bit corny to say, but I just appreciate hanging out with the family. I'd be grateful to receive anything at all.
But they expect to get something! They get me stuff so I gotta give something back. Not getting anything at all is out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I have to laugh when you say that your parents have everything already-- Are you sure about that? I should think that something hand made with love is precious. even a simple card telling them how much you love them. I hate this materialism.
I am no artist. I would screw it up if I tried something hand-made. And the card thing might work if I was like 5, which ain't quite the case unfortunately.

And yes, they do have everything they need. My mom, I always get her a necklace or clothes. And it's the same for her birthday. And she likes it and wears it and goes around proudly saying she got it from her thoughtful doughter. But the truth is, I always go for that stuff cause necklaces and clothes, a woman can never get enough of them, not because I think it is something "special" or put much thought into it. Now the boyfriend part is even more complicated. I've never met a guy who owns half as many cothes as my boyfriend does. So the clothes option is out. I know what he'd really like would be a trip somewhere but I can only spend so much... Mind you, his birthday is only a few days away from Christmas, so not only do I have to worry about his Christmas present, but also his birthday present cause the dates are so close together! See? That's the stress I'm talking about x)

So anyway, what are you all getting for your partners?

Last edited by Suki : 11-18-2010 at 01:23 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

11-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
But the truth is, I always go for that stuff cause necklaces and clothes, a woman can never get enough of them, not because I think it is something "special" or put much thought into it.
Never bought my wife any jewellry or clothing in the 13 years we've been together and doubt I ever will. Even the engagement ring was a hand me down from my grandmother. I prefer to give her experiences rather than trinkets and material items. Experiences she remembers for years. Like going out to the best restaurant in town, or staying in a fancy hotel for a weekend or treat her to a day at a spa getting massages, manicures and such things.

On her birthday recently for instance (we couldn't go away as we were both working) I got up early and made her breakfast in bed, let her stay in bed later than usual and got our little girl ready for day care. I had a birthday cake delivered to work (we work at the same company) and when we got home I ran her a bath with some relaxation bath salts I'd got her and she bathed whilst I cooked dinner. Finally gave her a card thanking her for all the great stuff she does in our marriage. Didn't have to worry about going out and trying to find the right gift. Just gave her a great day to remember and she definitely appreciated it.

Think beyond just getting material items. Think about giving your mum an experience she'll remember for many years to come. Maybe tickets to a live show or something else she may be interested in or always wanted to do. Experiences you can look back on over the years are worth far more than some trinkets as far as I'm concerned. And never underestimate the value of a heartfelt card expressing thanks and your love for someone. That will work whether you're 5 or 55 or beyond.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

11-18-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
But they expect to get something! They get me stuff so I gotta give something back. Not getting anything at all is out of the question.
I think you missed my point. lol
What I was suggesting was that, whatever you got, they would most likely be grateful for.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 11-18-2010 at 08:24 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-18-2010, 05:11 PM

ha ha suki you are probably right about the card LOL.

If you already know wha tyour mum likes then there is no problem.

I never expect anything fr0om my family-- lucky if I get a card-- but if we can get together-- thats the best pressie really.

We've been married for over 46 years-- and long ago given up exchanging gifts.

I always wanted records or CD's usualy chose my own LOL.

We tend to give our gr children money especially the older girls.lucky if we even get a thankyou that really does make me mad.

\we bought our gr son a helmet and gloves for when he rides his Moped now he is sixteen.

a nice bouquet is always appreciated by some or a bottle of wine.

I got a puppy for one of the teenage girls sa couple of months. all their family love the dog to bits-- so I think we have done our fair share.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

11-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Think beyond just getting material items. Think about giving your mum an experience she'll remember for many years to come. Maybe tickets to a live show or something else she may be interested in or always wanted to do. Experiences you can look back on over the years are worth far more than some trinkets as far as I'm concerned.
Awsome. I'll do that and I won't have to worry about my dad cause it's a two-people gift, so! killing two birds with one stone

As for my boyfriend..., what you did to your wife is truly amazing and you're right, I'm sure that made her day more than any other gift would have. However, everyone expects to get a little something for Christmas. Taking your time to make their day a special one is fine, but also they'd want something they can keep, not a big thing, but just a little something. It's Christmas, there has to be some unwrapping, right? x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart
whatever you got, they would most likely be grateful for.
I know that. People are polite and will always be thankful, but I've been giving presents to the same people for many many years, and it's about time I stop getting them the same stuff and come up with something new. I know they'll still like what I get, no matter what, but then it's about getting whatever just so that you can say at least you got something, and that's what I'm trying to change.

Dogs, those are all very nice prezzies! No wonder your grandkids loved them! My grandad always gives me money. It's easier for him cause he'd go crazy if he had to think of a present for each of his grandchildren (we're only 5, but still, he's not the type to go Christmas shopping), so the fact that you take the time to think of what's best for each of them is very cute. I mean, the money is okay, but I'm sure the appreciate the detail.