JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   I want to have a Japanese name (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/35074-i-want-have-japanese-name.html)

Sitron 12-03-2010 11:32 PM

I want to have a Japanese name

I have a typical Arabic name, and besides the prejudice that comes along with it, it's kind of boring. So I have decided to legally change name to a Japanese one. They are way more beautiful and exotic sounding These are the names I'm thinking of, which do you think is the best:

Sousuke
Akira
Kaneda
Keitaro
Shuji

WingsToDiscovery 12-03-2010 11:53 PM

None. You're not Japanese.

Jaydelart 12-04-2010 01:31 AM

How old do you have to be to legally change your name where you come from?

Ronin4hire 12-04-2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitron (Post 840431)
I have a typical Arabic name, and besides the prejudice that comes along with it, it's kind of boring. So I have decided to legally change name to a Japanese one. They are way more beautiful and exotic sounding These are the names I'm thinking of, which do you think is the best:

Sousuke
Akira
Kaneda
Keitaro
Shuji

I like Keitaro

It's old school.

I wouldn't change my name but my girlfriend is half Japanese half Austrian.

If we ended up having a kid I'd like to give it a Japanese and German first or middle name. I like Ryosuke.

NanteNa 01-27-2011 06:14 PM

OMG! Go for Uzumaki Naruto! DO EEETTT

JamboP26 01-27-2011 09:19 PM

As much as I love the 'idea' of a Japanese name, I'd prefer my name pronounced with a Japanese accent. "Ohayo gozaimasu, Jaimeizu" Genius

Although, I have given myself the nickname 'Miku', from my middle name 'Nicholas', which is 'Miklos' in Greek, so.... shorten that and..... voila!! A Japanese nickname. lol

JasonTakeshi 01-28-2011 12:54 AM

Sitron I can smell you from here.

Sangetsu 01-28-2011 09:00 AM

An interesting fact is that if you become a permanent resident o Japan you can legally take a Japanese name. There are no restrictions, you could change your name to Miyamoto Musashi, and that's what would be printed in your passport.

BokiB 01-28-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sangetsu (Post 848601)
An interesting fact is that if you become a permanent resident o Japan you can legally take a Japanese name. There are no restrictions, you could change your name to Miyamoto Musashi, and that's what would be printed in your passport.

You can or you have to? I thought it was a legal obligation to take a Japanese name

RobinMask 01-28-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BokiB (Post 848605)
You can or you have to? I thought it was a legal obligation to take a Japanese name

I think that's only if you take up citizenship. To be a permanent resident I would imagine its optional, as Sangetsu seems to say. Even then I'm not sure about it being obligatory to take up a Japanese name when one becomes a citizen, I think that rule no longer exists (assuming I'm right in that it existed at all).

Edit: Japanese nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - yeah, according to wikipedia (reliable, I know . . . ) it was only when becoming a citizen that one had to adopt a Japanese name, and this practise stopped around the 80's.