JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

cosmetic surgery - 12-03-2010, 09:21 PM

Cosmetic surgery seems to be very popular now.

Is there the same interest in Japan?

I feel that so many celebrity magazines make girls or women feel inadequate-- . Ipersonally think its a real shame that the body one is born with sometimes feels not good enough-- so girls have boob jobs and other things- but is it really necessary?

I can understand if someone is really embarrassed about part of themselves-- there is a genuine need to have some help-- but should young girls also have cosmetic surgery?

shouldn't they wait until they are fully developed-- before going under the knife or having botox etc.

I am uncertain if men have surgery to fix something they are unhappy with.

It seems to be very big business here but is it also in Japan?

Do men appreciate women who have had cosmetic surgery or all they use to try to look younger.

I feel that with older women that lines make character-- but surgery can kill that. you don't see the real person.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 12-03-2010 at 09:23 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Brass (Offline)
JF Regular

12-03-2010, 10:51 PM

In America plastic surgery is actually becoming very popular with men. Ask any plastic surgeon who has been in the business for a long time and he'll tell you that back in the day 95% of his clients were women but these days it's near 50/50.

I'm actually considering plastic surgery myself. In America looks are the most important thing you can offer to the opposite sex (sadly). America is a *VERY* superficial place. Probably the most superficial on earth.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-04-2010, 11:11 PM

thanks for that. I feel its a shame not to be happy with the body you were given.

its like keepin up with the JONE's as we would say in UK.

Its good to be proud of who you are and not just want to follow the crowd.

I blame many of these celebrity magazines and shows really-- and the pictures in them are usually air brushed so not a true picture at all.

I wonder if MEn actually like women who have had boob jobs. having an artificial substance underneath the skin.

Also the other worry is those who believe they have to be skinny-- almost skeletal------------One of my gr daughers has anorexia and I swear its because of Victoria Beckham and her ilk.

It seems so artificial and unnecessary to me. Of course if people want to spend their money having surgery its up to them I guess.

I wonder what sort of surgery the men have.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
12-04-2010, 11:13 PM

I think it's pretty much the same in most countries. I know one of the most common surgeries in Asia is eyelid surgery..

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#5 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

12-04-2010, 11:19 PM

I'm not talking about getting a boob job for the sake of getting a boob job, but there's plenty of cosmetic plastic surgery out there that really does help people, and unless you have a problem that should be corrected then you'll never know what it's like.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
In America plastic surgery is actually becoming very popular with men. Ask any plastic surgeon who has been in the business for a long time and he'll tell you that back in the day 95% of his clients were women but these days it's near 50/50.

I'm actually considering plastic surgery myself. In America looks are the most important thing you can offer to the opposite sex (sadly). America is a *VERY* superficial place. Probably the most superficial on earth.
Take out "America" and replace it with "Southern California" and you might be accurate.

If you think it is superficial, then why are you considering it? You aren't making any sense.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-04-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I'm not talking about getting a boob job for the sake of getting a boob job, but there's plenty of cosmetic plastic surgery out there that really does help people, and unless you have a problem that should be corrected then you'll never know what it's like.

yes but young girls bodies change naturally and surely they should not have a boob job -- after all what happens when a woman with such a thing has a baby-- what happens then? I was very small until I had my children-- then after breast feeding my babies my breasts developed.

many people have things done because they are not confident with themselves. Its a shame because surely our character shows through the way we look. Obviously if there is something one really hates about oneself or some thing disfiguring-- then go ahead-- but just to follow the CELEBS or your Peers?

in the end of course its up to the individual but I bet millions of pounds and dollars etc are made from this industry.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

12-05-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
yes but young girls bodies change naturally and surely they should not have a boob job -- after all what happens when a woman with such a thing has a baby-- what happens then? I was very small until I had my children-- then after breast feeding my babies my breasts developed.

many people have things done because they are not confident with themselves. Its a shame because surely our character shows through the way we look. Obviously if there is something one really hates about oneself or some thing disfiguring-- then go ahead-- but just to follow the CELEBS or your Peers?

in the end of course its up to the individual but I bet millions of pounds and dollars etc are made from this industry.
I think we have somewhat of a general consensus on this. My problem however is that you're using the word "cosmetic surgery" as a definitive word. I have a friend who recently had cosmetic surgery. The procedure he had literally no correlation to his physical health or physical well being, but instead to help alleviate the mental trauma he'd faced his entire life.

But even if it is just some girl looking to get a boob job or nose job or whatever, you can't just disregard the psyche behind why she wants to do it, why she feels inadequate, and what can be done to help her after she's still not satisfied after the procedure, which is a common case. This opens the doors to a much deeper meaning as to why people go through these procedures from a mental standpoint. Some of these people could be considered "sick" for lack of a better term, if they're willing to mutilate themselves based on what they've seen on TV. So don't you think these people would be better off getting some kind of help rather than being chastised for being "artificial?"

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post

Some people could be lazy too. Like if someone came up to me and said, "You can have any plastic surgery you want", I'd say, "Heck yeah! I want a tummy tuck!" Stomach = my problem area, always has. I hate doing stomach exercises. So yeah, in my case, it'd be laziness. I'd rather get the tummy tuck and start from scratch.

Then there are some who get the surgeries because they have done all they could on their own and nothing worked or it didn't work efficiently. Sometimes, it's not all about self esteem or self confidence, I feel.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-05-2010, 10:00 AM

I'm going to take a risk and go on-topic by trying to answer the OP rather than taking this conversation down the expected path of "is it good or not"

I teach English in Japan, as a result I meet people from pretty much all walks of life, even English haters. One of my most popular lessons is about piercings/tattoos/plastic-surgery.

I'd have to say that about 1% of my students have had plastic surgery if not less. Everyone seems to have a very strong idea of exactly what they would get if they did get it done, and yes eye-lids is one of the most popular, along with nose enlargement lol.
Either way, it doesn't seem to have caught on very much here, it's not shunned really but it's not seen in a good light. It is assumed, though, that a celebrity will have had it done, as a career requirement practically.

The one rationale I always get for "Why not do it?" is always "I can just use make up to make myself prettier ... "

So, that is the mentality of the vast majority of Japanese women I teach.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.