JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   teaching an old dog new tricks. (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/35333-teaching-old-dog-new-tricks.html)

dogsbody70 12-24-2010 01:32 PM

teaching an old dog new tricks.

They say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm not sure about that.

I know many members are very familiar with modern technology-- unlike this Old Dog.

Please can any expert advise this Dog how to convert cassette tapes onto CD so they can go on line-- OR-- IPOD. If I record speech onto my own IPOD-- How can I then upload onto the net so that I can send the file to another person?

I know there are ways to do this-- but being an OLD DOG-- I will appreciate advice from the younger generation.

No hurry-- but just when you have the time or inclination to guide me.

Many thanks in advance. Dogsbody70

RealJames 12-24-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 843408)
They say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm not sure about that.

I know many members are very familiar with modern technology-- unlike this Old Dog.

Please can any expert advise this Dog how to convert cassette tapes onto CD so they can go on line-- OR-- IPOD. If I record speech onto my own IPOD-- How can I then upload onto the net so that I can send the file to another person?

I know there are ways to do this-- but being an OLD DOG-- I will appreciate advice from the younger generation.

No hurry-- but just when you have the time or inclination to guide me.

Many thanks in advance. Dogsbody70

Your PC may have a "Line in" or a "mic" input on the back, get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm wire and plug your tape deck or record player into your pc

next step is to get some recording software, there are so many now, I used to use db poweramp (just google for it) because it detected silence between tracks to start new mp3s automatically.

to send them to friends just attach them in an email

I'm not sure which parts of this all are difficult, so start with that and when you get stuck somewhere throw up another post :)

edit: you could also just get vuze and search for the stuff you wanna rip, you might be able to find it and save yourself the effort...

dogsbody70 12-24-2010 03:09 PM

thanks very much . what on earth is VUZE?

Koir 12-24-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 843415)
thanks very much . what on earth is VUZE?

Quick googling seems to say it's a torrenting client, something that may be completely unhelpful or illegal for use.

RealJames 12-25-2010 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 843417)
Quick googling seems to say it's a torrenting client, something that may be completely unhelpful or illegal for use.

yup, that's right,
it could be uhelpful, or illegal, or legal, or helpful, all depending on how you use it, kind of like a gun :P

you can use it to search for the music you already own, and then downloading it's mp3s should be legal, last I checked.

seiki 12-25-2010 06:18 AM

Vuze is fairly easy to use. I also liked using jimmyr.com.

dogsbody70 12-25-2010 08:15 AM

um thank YOU. Most of my cassettes are classical or speech. Not sure if they would be online but Iprefer to be legal-- thanks for help.

Aniki 12-25-2010 09:55 AM

Cassetes...*sigh*... just got struck by nostalgia.

dogsbody70 12-25-2010 10:01 AM

I have loads of them.

also records 33rpm etc.

Used to have a wind up gramophone.

Its unbelievable how technology has progressed SO MUCH--

meanwhile poor little cassettes are feeling lonesome and unwanted.

Aniki 12-25-2010 11:34 AM

Unless you got something extremely rare that can't be found anywhere else, I recommend you to look for the songs on the net. So, maybe the "old dog" should learn a trick how search and download, instead of playing with audio converters, which require more time and explanation.