JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

Feelings Toward Hiroshima and Nagasaki. - 12-27-2010, 04:11 PM

Does Japan still hold any grudge or hard feelings for America from the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings anywhere? (military,politics,youth) or have they completely forgaven us, (not forgetting). What do you think?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-27-2010, 05:57 PM

No one will ever be able to forgive the US for that, or Iraq, or Vietnam, or Korea, etc.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
No one will ever be able to forgive the US for that, or Iraq, or Vietnam, or Korea, etc.
Se meten en todo, no?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

12-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Does Japan still hold any grudge or hard feelings for America from the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings anywhere? (military,politics,youth) or have they completely forgaven us, (not forgetting). What do you think?
It's 'forgiven' not 'forgaven'.
Generally if you talk to the average person on the street, then no, there aren't many deep grievances.
Mostly because a lot of people now weren't even born at the time. Politically speaking, America has made it's apologies and worked towards amending it. The general consensus I experienced was that it was a terrible, terrible thing that shouldn't have happened, but that playing the blame game and harbouring unfocussed hatred towards America in general over it is pretty pointless. I got this sentiment from middle-aged people as well as younger people. In fact, the only time I came across any REAL anger about it was an encounter with a very drunk, very old man who cussed out my American friends in a bar. And you know what? The other elderly patrons there were quite genuinely apologetic about it. It was an incredibly rare occurrence, and from what we could gather, the man had lost an awful lot in Hiroshima. Perhaps they would treat older Americans differently, but most older people who broached the subject simply wanted to hear what our thoughts and views on it were as non-japanese, and they were surprisingly open to listen to views of Japan's errors, as much as those of the west.
As far as I'm concerned, you hear more anger and more generalized racism and more full-fledged comments of how it is totally 'unforgivable' in America and the west. I used to work with the elderly here in the UK. Many of them were still VERY anti-Germany and anti-asian, and were adamant that they should be allowed to be so because of their experience in the wars. Defensively so, I mean. I worked with the elderly in Japan too, and there was noticeably less belligerence about it. Perhaps I just worked with rather un-representative groups and my experience is unsual, but there it is for you.

Quote:
The people who care very very deeply or who have personal experience of it might not be able to forgive things Hiroshima, but for most people, it's hardly a massive issue in their lives. Sure, the average person might say this or that country has done this or that bad thing and I don't agree with it, but the idea of going as far as 'forgiving' or 'not forgiving' probably doesn't even occur to them. They just don't feel that strongly either way about it.

Iraq, Vietnam etc aren't really the topic in hand here either, so I don't see the point in mentioning them.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

12-27-2010, 11:52 PM

What Columbine said is accurate I think and more or less reflects my experiences.

lol.. I think I'm more angered by the events than the average Japanese person.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-28-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
The people who care very very deeply or who have personal experience of it might not be able to forgive things Hiroshima, but for most people, it's hardly a massive issue in their lives. Sure, the average person might say this or that country has done this or that bad thing and I don't agree with it, but the idea of going as far as 'forgiving' or 'not forgiving' probably doesn't even occur to them. They just don't feel that strongly either way about it.

Iraq, Vietnam etc aren't really the topic in hand here either, so I don't see the point in mentioning them.
I was just pointing out how the US always seems to be in the middle of all major human catastrophes. It's not only an opinion but a proven fact. Every country that has a war going on, the US's in it somehow. And strangely enough, American citizens seem to back up every move made by their army, like they truly believe they're doing a great job by being sent away from their homes to propagate peace and democracy. Like taking part in a war they have no business being in is the best way to make their ideals prevail.

The thing is, a lot has happened since Hiroshima and Nagasaki. A lot of wrong decisition were made back then by people from both sides. And they're all dead or soon to be, so in a way they've all paid for what they did. However, as of today, history is repeating itself. And ok, World War II was horrible and it should have never happened, but why are we not trying to change what's taking place now? Cause it's just as bad. If not worse.

So, has the world forgiven the United States for dropping an atomic bomb on civilians? Well, that was more than 60 years ago and nothing can be done about it. And the world was a crazy place at that time, I can understand crazy decisions being made under desperate situations. I'm not saying they should go unpunished because there was a reason behind their action, I am saying I can understand why it happened. The question isn't if the population of today (who can't even come close to imagine what it must've been like to live back then) has been able to forgive the US for the massacre in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the question is, why are they still sending people out to kill? Really. Over one million people have died in Iraq. Why is it any different from the Nazis killing the Jews? Everyone agrees that what the Nazis did was wrong, then why are we not stopping the killing in Iraq? I fail to see how it's any different. I can forgive the US for what they did in WWII cause it made sense at that time, but I cannot begin to understand why the fuck they're still fucking things up in Iraq. Leave them alone. Get back to your country. Let them have a civil war and have it their way. Mind your own business. Don't start a war that has no possible justification.

So what I'm saying is, let's worry about Uganda and Somalia and Pakistan and Colombia and Ethiopia and Nigeria and Algeria and Iran and Thailand and Yemen and Iraq. Let's try to do something about ongoing wars, because whatever happened happened, we can't change that, but there is something we can do about what's taking place now. So let's not blame the US for dropping a bomb half a century ago, instead let's make sure they never do that again. And that starts by putting an end to Iraq war. Hope this answers your question as to why I mentioned Vietnam, Korea and Iraq. It's not out of context, it has everything to do with this topic.

EDIT: And before someone mentions it, I know the Iraq war was supposed to end in August this year. Well, I'd like to see about that. It is still an ongoing conflict, so it applies.

everything is relative and contradictory ~

Last edited by Suki : 12-28-2010 at 12:53 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

12-28-2010, 01:05 AM

In my 7 years here I've never had a Japanese person ever even mention the war. Mentioned it a few times myself but at least among younger people I know (aged 20-40) they seem to have little knowledge or interest about it. Hokkaido of course is a long way from the what happened down south.

In Australia among the elderly there's still a reasonable amount of resentment towards the Japanese. Few of them would feel much empathy for the those affected by the atomic bombs considering the horrendous amounts of people who suffered and were killed by the Japanese as they invaded most of the countries of eastern and south eastern Asia. I personally feel considering the options at the time and the terrible toll the war had already taken that the use of atomic weapons was entirely justifiable and if anyone should be seeking forgiveness it's the Japanese not the Americans.

Last edited by GoNative : 12-28-2010 at 01:11 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post justification - 12-28-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
I personally feel considering the options at the time and the terrible toll the war had already taken that the use of atomic weapons was entirely justifiable and if anyone should be seeking forgiveness it's the Japanese not the Americans.
Justifiable, you said?! There is a difference between attacking Pearl-Harbour ( a Naval base) and dropping of armed nuclear devices on cities, filled by civilians.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-28-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
I was just pointing out how the US always seems to be in the middle of all major human catastrophes. It's not only an opinion but a proven fact.
Come on. this is just more run-of-the-mill America bashing. That's so 2007 on JF.

But let's look at some of the greatest catastrophes in human history.

The Great Fire of London in 1666?

The Bhola Hurricane of 1970?

The 1960 Chile Earthquake?

The Indian Ocean Tsunami of 2004?

Sorry, Americans may have been killed in these events, but Americans didn't cause them.

Are you talking about war?

WWI? Not started by Americans

WWII? Not started by Americans

The Korean War? Not started by Americans

Vietnam? Not started by Americans

So really, enough is enough. It is an opinion and a misguided one.

Quote:
And strangely enough, American citizens seem to back up every move made by their army, like they truly believe they're doing a great job by being sent away from their homes to propagate peace and democracy. Like taking part in a war they have no business being in is the best way to make their ideals prevail.
You clearly know NOTHING about what American people think and how they feel about being in the Middle East right now.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2010, 03:41 AM

My experience of this is small but perhaps very relevant.

Whilst in Hiroshima peace gardens, an elderly Japanese man approached us and in broken English asked if we were American, with a stern look on his face. Before we had much chance to answer he said he did not like Americans and they should not be in Hiroshima Peace Gardens.

We replied that we were British and all of a sudden he was our best friend and talked at us in a mixture of Japanese and English for the next part of an hour and nice as it was it was very hard to leave when we had other things to see.

He kept repeating that he was so glad we were not American, and did we know what the Americans had done to Hiroshima.

To me it always confused me, I am not the best at history but surely us British are at least partly responsible for the bombings too?

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.