LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-01-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Why do so many think that this country will look after them?

when there is scarcely enough room for our own people.
Because they are often fleeing countries that make the UK seem like a paradise. Not too hard to understand really.
We have a world where wealth is horribly disproportionately distributed. Rich countries like the UK, US, Australia (wherever) will always be destinations for the desperate from countries not so fortunate.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Because they are often fleeing countries that make the UK seem like a paradise. Not too hard to understand really.
We have a world where wealth is horribly disproportionately distributed. Rich countries like the UK, US, Australia (wherever) will always be destinations for the desperate from countries not so fortunate.

Maybe. But actually this country is extremely expensive to live in for many of us-- apart from greedy bankers or those which people who take their money out of the country so that they do not pay tax on their riches.

There is so much corruption in many countries that often money sent out in AID-- just goes to those corrupt people who are in power.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-01-2011, 10:52 PM

Urm, how did my thread become about illegal immigrants to other countries?

Anyway, to clarify I never thought the issue was limited to Japan.

I am not sure what the illegal immigrant situation is in Japan, especially of westerners which if we are honest is where the majority of the people I am talking about here post from.

However comparing it to the U.K I don't think that many would go as far as to live rough to try sneak into Japan, or anything related to what we see at calais. Far more will be the visa overstayers who go with every intention of coming back then meet someone, or get caught up in a course/illegal job and decide to stay for that. I don't think very many "I must, must, must get to Japan and work as xyz" people sit planning how to sneak into Japan.
This would be far too difficult and force them to face reality that Japan is not a magical wonderland where all your dreams and everything you can't do at home will come true if you just get there and it is definately possible to get your dream job

I guess, without sounding too arrogant, it is my understanding that many people who would "do anything" to get to Britain are because they see our welfare system as one that will look after them well, or it as a place to get more money for the same work, and other such reasons. They see England as the dream-land for these reasons, and that is understandable in many ways.

I know there must be some, but I don't get the feeling that there are groups of Britian-o-philes who want to come here to be the next JLS, make episodes of teletubbies, star on the Jeremy Kyle show, look at a pic of cheryl cole in the newspaper and whatever else is seen as British.

Of course there are Japanese and other nationality teens who love these things, my pen pal is obsessed with McFly and Lily Allen but she would never just decide the best thing to do is pack up and move here as it will be fabulous amazing to be in the same country as them, let alone think she could be the next big pop star.

Yet there seem to be many Japanophiles who want to go because of J-Rock, manga/anime and idols. They think if they just get to that place they can break into that industry, or even that eing in the same place as that will be fantastic.
Some even think this about more traditional things such as shrines and being surrounded by the "mysterious symbols that means things like hope, peace and tiger" to me this is no better or worse, it is still a strange mixing of things you like/find aesthetically pleasing and appreciate with reasonable life goals.

Other than certain otaku/nerd interests being ever-so-slightly more accepted or at least less harshly attacked in terms of bullying, for most who post here I cannot see why they are so desperate for Japan-or-bust.

I guess this is just the place they come for others to tell them that it is a wonderful place and an amazing dream and if they work hard enough they will be a uber successful manga-artist or otherwise live happy ever after in the magical land of the rising sun and it will be so much nicer than anywhere else.

I don't believe in giving people false hope.

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.

Last edited by princessmarisa : 01-01-2011 at 10:54 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-01-2011, 11:05 PM

sorry Princess but immigration to Japan was mentioned so I thought comparing with UK would be useful.

Maybe not but I don't know if Japan is as hot on immigrations as we need to be.

This is seen as a soft touch-- but things are changing-- although its hard going and we have to pay to send refused immigrants to return to their own country

as we are part of EUROPE we already have many immigrants from those countries.

when I see people asking about moving to Japan-- I see replies that tell them they have to have a degree.

and that teaching EFL seems to be one of the few options.

so thats not too generous is it?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-01-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
sorry Princess but immigration to Japan was mentioned so I thought comparing with UK would be useful.

Maybe not but I don't know if Japan is as hot on immigrations as we need to be.

This is seen as a soft touch-- but things are changing-- although its hard going and we have to pay to send refused immigrants to return to their own country

as we are part of EUROPE we already have many immigrants from those countries.

when I see people asking about moving to Japan-- I see replies that tell them they have to have a degree.

and that teaching EFL seems to be one of the few options.

so thats not too generous is it?

I was talking about people who want to legally emigrate to Japan for flimsy reasons, I really can't see how bringing up a Daily Mail period about "Clamping down on the bloody foreigners who speak our language badly" is at all relevant.

Also why do you leave so many carriage returns and extra spaces?
I find your posts quite hard to follow, I take it you class yourself as fluent in English otherwise some of what you say could be taken as hypocritical.

I am not sure what you think is generous/ I guess you mean that the answers given are apt and not too fostering of false hope.
That is well within my point, everyone tells them they can get over there by getting a degree and start of as an ALT or similar, but very few seem to point out that that is little different to teaching in most countries. If you don't want to teach in your own country, or are willing to put the effort into getting a teaching related job at home, why would you suddenly be able to manage it in a situation 10x harder?

It seems we are encouraging people to use teaching as a route into something totally unrelated and that , oh it's easy to get your dream just get a degree, go be a jet, then the week after you'll have made it as a manga-ka or be fabulously happy in Japan-Land.

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-01-2011, 11:35 PM

ah well Princess what ever you say!!!!!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

01-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Well, I have no personal interest in getting a job in Japan.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-03-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Well, I have no personal interest in getting a job in Japan.
Of course not. One out of every 3 posts you make is in support of your country's A-bombing.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

01-03-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Of course not. One out of every 3 posts you make is in support of your country's A-bombing.
I support the A-bombing of Japan to end the war and have a job, bought a house, own a bar and had my first child here in Japan. Don't see how having a job and living here has anything to do with our opinions on what happened during the war.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-03-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
I support the A-bombing of Japan to end the war and have a job, bought a house, own a bar and had my first child here in Japan. Don't see how having a job and living here has anything to do with our opinions on what happened during the war.
Despite the history lesson I gave you in the other thread?

Also... who "supports" the A-bombing.

Even if I did subscribe to your version of history, I wouldn't call myself a "supporter" of it.