JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-03-2011, 11:10 AM

to FILEO

I am wondering if I have hurt you by talking about immigrants in this country.

If so I am very sorry.

I will PM you if that is alright with you. Immigration is a very sensitive matter.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
to FILEO

I am wondering if I have hurt you by talking about immigrants in this country.

If so I am very sorry.

I will PM you if that is alright with you. Immigration is a very sensitive matter.
Sure Babs, PM me any time.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by File0 View Post
This would be my bad, sorry. I came up with a bad example. It might sound like illegal immigrants but it was about a summer work in England for two university students who wanted to visit as many museums and places as they could with not much money in their pockets - so they didn't even bring a cent home in the end, only their memories...If we used a word like Britanophile, I'd say they could have been described by that - for that time I mean - people who I know don't want to live in England because you sometimes have a real bad attitude towards foreigners, it's hard to love your hospitality.

But we admire your literature, your painters, your film-industry, your humor, your sports and so on. . . and some does it in an unnatural/crazy level = Britanophile.
And it happens to other countries too. People want to live in other countries like crazy sometimes - kids think if they play soccer good enough they can play into themselves to the Arsenal or I don't know where, or if they sing good enough they can kiss their dream-lord(pop-star) one day.

Why are these examples different than the ones with Japan? Maybe because they look so different, they cannot fit into so easily, and it seems weird somehow, and apparently the settling can be harder too, but still, if they want to dream why can't they? Being rude towards them doesn't mean that you're helping them, it means they will go elsewhere to ask their questions. If you really didn't want to give false hope you'd use different language (I mean: much more acceptable tone).
I never said they are so different, just that I see a lot of Japanophile examples on a Japan-Forum and wanted to understand why they think the dreams are realistic!
Quote:

You've said you'd not heard anyone saying such tings about other countries... what was that about then? And I'm not sure anymore what the issue is.
I said I had not heard it myself, not I didn't think it existed.
I posted on JF because I was interested why people do it about Japan.

Quote:
Are you saying that being a westerner means: you are a native English speaker (you speak similar languages maybe?); or that if you're a westerner you will learn Japanese language by using your English knowledge? What's your point with this?
I meant that this forum mainly has westerners, so most of the threads on here are posted by westerners. So most of the example of ravid japanophilia I see are from westerners, so I do not know or not if other Asians get crazy about Japan.

Quote:

You are mentioning a bit different factors here. Wasn't it about the language and drawings originally? I don't know why are you so tense about this? Crazy people exist everywhere...it's good for you if you don't know many.
I am not crazy, just a little confused, I know there are what you call "crazy" people everywhere, I just wanted to try understand their thought process so that they would seem less "crazy"
I'm not sure how you meant this, could you clarify it a bit more?

Quote:
So you weren't interested in any optional answer after all.
I shouldn't have replied before . . . One cannot see your real words behind your written ones, I mean you even contradicted your own words(which I pointed out before), you must be really angry at these fun-boys...
Please quote which part of my reply you are talking about here, because I was talking about how others (not you as far as I remember) started talking about illegal immigrants in Britain and getting really tense about that.
If it is about people who legally come to Britain to be an Anglophile then that is also interesting information, yes.

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. I couldn't decide what to do with the thoughts about immigrants in Britain or other 'dreamlands', I think it's best not to bother with them any further in here. They are pretty harsh/hurtful though, I feel you look down on others a bit . After all this is the 21th century, I won't get mad on foreigners(often British people) just because they work or live here - who rarely learn our language, because it's too hard for and it's expected from us to speak theirs...
I have never said anything about immigrants into Britain, other than I think some come because they think we have better welfare system and a possible better life for them, and that anyone can understand why someone would like that?

I think nothing negative about them at all, illegal immigrants it is different because of flaunting the law, but you can still see why they try.

Check who said what because I am the one who didn't want this turning into some foreigner bashing party.

I do agree if you live in a country, any country you should try learn the native language to a workable level, but no one should expect any kind of native fluency straight away. Yet you can see that it will be hard to get a job without very good language skills.

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-03-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmarisa View Post
I am not crazy, just a little confused, I know there are what you call "crazy" people everywhere, I just wanted to try understand their thought process so that they would seem less "crazy"
Sorry, I didn't think you were crazy, in fact I might misused the word - I thought from the sentence: 'someone goes crazy about something' that the use of the word crazy to describe a person is similar(and not too harsh or offending), guess I was wrong...(it would have been better if I hadn't used any)

Quote:
Please quote which part of my reply you are talking about here, because I was talking about how others (not you as far as I remember) started talking about illegal immigrants in Britain and getting really tense about that.
If it is about people who legally come to Britain to be an Anglophile then that is also interesting information, yes.
I quoted the sentences which I was referring to, and they weren't about immigrants...

Quote:
I have never said anything about immigrants into Britain, other than I think some come because they think we have better welfare system and a possible better life for them, and that anyone can understand why someone would like that?

I think nothing negative about them at all, illegal immigrants it is different because of flaunting the law, but you can still see why they try.

Check who said what because I am the one who didn't want this turning into some foreigner bashing party.

I do agree if you live in a country, any country you should try learn the native language to a workable level, but no one should expect any kind of native fluency straight away. Yet you can see that it will be hard to get a job without very good language skills.
I didn't mean to address these things to you, it's clear you wanted to avoid this topic now, that's why I said it was my fault and asked you to forgive me for making a wrong example...
----------------------------------------------------
You do realize that is not probable that any of those people will reply here?
But if they did, in my opinion, there would be as many answer for your question as many people made posts about it.

Last edited by File0 : 01-04-2011 at 10:12 PM.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-04-2011, 04:00 AM

Not 1 in 3....maybe 1 in 4.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2011, 08:51 PM

Thank you for this thread, I've noticed this for wayyyyy too long now.

What makes me most confused, like you said, is why do only the Japanophiles get as... obsessed as they do?
Places like France get far far far more tourists than Japan, yet there is no 'OMG Bonjour!!! Croissant!!' people on the net. Neither are there people who want to just magically move there. Same with basically every country EXCEPT Japan. It' the only country that I personally have seen that has an obsessed fanbase.

My guess is that it's because Japan's pop culture is quite.... young person aimed. So the naive youth probably target all of their childish ways at Japan. Seems quite hard for them to grow out of too as I've seen plenty of later teens (like 17 and 18) that still seem to be asking these questions.

The big thing that no one seems to want to commit to is the language. Most I've seen say that they 'will learn the language if need be, I promise!' which is just stupid as they're acting like it's an overnight issue.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
01-29-2011, 10:12 PM

I have no problem with immigrants in any country. The problem comes when they enter illegally. If its all done normal & above board, its fine, but I really feel if your moving to another country, you really must change yourself to fit in with the culture & its people. Expecting people to either accept every aspect of your previous culture or change for you, is just arrogant. I expect they may let 1 or 2 things slide if your still fitting in, but only it your showing that your trying to fit in.

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Tsuruneru Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuruneru Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuruneru
01-29-2011, 10:29 PM

Because there not thinking. MMM talked about this months ago. But it was more of if you want to live in Japan.

I don't care what people say anymore. Your opinions no longer matter to me. No matter what i say no one cares they just keep going.
I have no enemies my opponent is my teacher.
(けとだ!) (こい) (とどめだ!) I Am Shadow The Hedgehog