Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-02-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
See what you're doing?

You're playing 2 wrongs make a right.

I don't play that game and I refuse to go along with a narrative of history that reads like a Star Wars movie.
So are you saying the Rebels shouldn't have blown up the Death Star after the Imperials blew up Alderaan?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-02-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So are you saying the Rebels shouldn't have blown up the Death Star after the Imperials blew up Alderaan?
Huh? I'm not sure I follow.

I believe the analogy would work if the rebels blew up Coruscant with the Imperial starfleet all but decimated and Palpatine was holed up in his palace. But they didn't because then they wouldn't be the "good guys" anymore wouldn't they.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 01-02-2011 at 07:23 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-02-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Huh? I'm not sure I follow.

I believe the analogy would work if the rebels blew up Coruscant with the Imperial starfleet all but decimated and Palpatine was holed up in his palace. But they didn't because then they wouldn't be the "good guys" anymore wouldn't they.
You are saying the "two wrongs don't make a right" analogy doesn't work, and mentioned Star Wars.

I am not asking you to rewrite the movie, but am asking if the Rebels were in the right, or in the wrong in blowing up the Death Star.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Question wrongs - 01-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
You are saying the "two wrongs don't make a right" analogy doesn't work, and mentioned Star Wars.

I am not asking you to rewrite the movie, but am asking if the Rebels were in the right, or in the wrong in blowing up the Death Star.

Seems, the matter of discussion is over. I would not to call it offtopic, but the bombings of japanese cities and Star Wars events.....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-02-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:

I'll play along.

I would say in the right. What's your point?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-02-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I'll play along.

I would say in the right. What's your point?
But surely thousands, if not tens of thousands, or maybe hundreds of thousands of innocent people were killed when the Death Star was destroyed, but since the Imperials destroyed Alderaan, that was justified. Right?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-02-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
But surely thousands, if not tens of thousands, or maybe hundreds of thousands of innocent people were killed when the Death Star was destroyed, but since the Imperials destroyed Alderaan, that was justified. Right?
Where in the star wars movies were there innocent people on the death star?

Star wars is a movie of where caricatures representing good battle caricatures representing evil.

The problem is that people think of WW2 in the same way.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Where in the star wars movies were there innocent people on the death star?

Star wars is a movie of where caricatures representing good battle caricatures representing evil.

The problem is that people think of WW2 in the same way.
The storm troopers did not choose to be storm troopers, but were bred to be agents of the Empire.

Is a pit bull bred to fight evil by choice, or by happenstance?

But you are saying theoretically, the Rebel use of force against the Empire is justified, or essentially two wrongs can make a right.

However in a similar situation the Americans were not justified in using A-bombs against Japan to end the war.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-02-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
The storm troopers did not choose to be storm troopers, but were bred to be agents of the Empire.

Is a pit bull bred to fight evil by choice, or by happenstance?

But you are saying theoretically, the Rebel use of force against the Empire is justified, or essentially two wrongs can make a right.

However in a similar situation the Americans were not justified in using A-bombs against Japan to end the war.
1- This is not a similar situation to America using the A-bomb. Not only that I've pretty much spent the entire thread explaining why it was unjustified and I don't really want to do it again but to cut a long story short.. Japan had been seeking avenues to surrender as early as 1943, the Japanese forces were all but defeated and it was only a matter of time before they did surrender. This is something that US intelligence at the time was claiming. (however the president insisted that the a bombs be dropped causing immense suffering for generations to come).

2- You're overthinking Star wars. I said I refuse to go along with a Star wars narrative of history where one side is caricaturized as good and the other evil.

3- I would still say that the destruction of the death star was justified.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 01-02-2011 at 08:24 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
1- This is not a similar situation to America using the A-bomb. I've pretty much spent the entire thread explaining why it was unjustified.

2- You're overthinking Star wars. I said I refuse to go along with a Star wars narrative of history where one side is caricaturized as good and the other evil.

3- I would still say that the destruction of the death star was justified.
1. Why not? If you don't want to play ball, I can't make you. I would say, however, it is very easy in 2011 to look back 60+ years and judge how decisions were made. I would ask you to look at it in the context of the time.

2. Again, think about it in the context of the time. You can decide that neither side was right or wrong or good or evil, but that's not the narrative of the time. Was Japan, Germany and Italy seen simply as other countries, or as evil by the Allied countries? It seems like you are are saying if the other side is evil, then it is justified, but it isn't fair to consider the Axis forces as evil. However, I am sure you know how they were viewed: as evil.

3. Why?