LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-13-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
This thread has obviously served its purpose.

To try and balance out and deflect criticism of the extreme views presented in other threads lol

I think the better strategy is to just be balanced from the start.

Saying "Japan is <insert positive here>" does not cancel out the fact that "Japan is <insert negative here>" may or may not be factually or even relatively incorrect and I'm not going to stop criticising people for holding views that I think are innaccurate or offensive just because of the existence of this thread.
Yeah the Idea was twofold,
for the labeled "haters" to be shown as having both good and bad opinions
for those of us who've been here long enough to start taking things for granted to re-appreciate those things.

@Columbine, Honestly I think the drug thing was my biggest culture shock coming here.

@Nyororin, It sounds like you were in the thick of it back home. Like you I was the only one back home that didn't try any drugs, it can be tough, at least those days are behind me now!

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-13-2011, 05:05 AM

No drugs and the related crime is a huge difference to most western countries. It's hard to describe really just how good it is to live in a place that has virtually no crime. We have never locked the front door to our house since we've owned it, even if going away for a few days. We never lock our car, often we leave it running if heading into a shop for a short time. We can walk anywhere at anytime with no fear whatsoever of being mugged or getting into some violent encounter. Now this is in rural Hokkaido and I'm not sure if it's the same in the bigger cities but to live where there is virtually no crime at all is incredibly liberating. You can't really understand how good it is until you've lived it.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
No drugs and the related crime is a huge difference to most western countries. It's hard to describe really just how good it is to live in a place that has virtually no crime. We have never locked the front door to our house since we've owned it, even if going away for a few days. We never lock our car, often we leave it running if heading into a shop for a short time. We can walk anywhere at anytime with no fear whatsoever of being mugged or getting into some violent encounter. Now this is in rural Hokkaido and I'm not sure if it's the same in the bigger cities but to live where there is virtually no crime at all is incredibly liberating. You can't really understand how good it is until you've lived it.
Conversely, people tend to be more safe-aware in some ways, and not in others. Having lived in Oxford and then the 'burbs in Osaka, I noticed that the girls in Hirakata were hardly ever walking/cycling around at night (say between 10pm and 2am) by themselves or even in pairs in the way that the Oxford girls routinely do. Conversely I saw more than one Japanese girl in a nightclub blithely leave her drink on the side and go and dance, which the Oxford girls would NEVER do. I mean, you know drugs are a rarity in Japan because a lot of people just know very little about drink spiking. There's a single hit for it on ALC and it's a mere definition.

That's what I like about Japan. I'm sick of worrying about drinks spiking and taking friends to hospital.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Hem1ngway (Offline)
New to JF

10-08-2011, 09:16 PM

I've never been to Japan. i'ts on my to visit list. I'd really want to see it.
But when i read your points i'd have to agree it sounds great.
i always loved to look up their culture and loving what i found. I'm saving up to visit japan one day. i really can't wait
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Ahmeem (Offline)
New to JF

I love Japanese people - 01-06-2012, 09:05 AM

I love Japanese people because i see them every where in Maldives and contribute to us financially and socially for nothing in return at all. Most of all a handful of Japanese women are married to Maldivians meaning that some what matching is there... I love japan