JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ajltucker (Offline)
New to JF

Questions regarding CNI and marriage certificate - 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on getting married in Japan.

I will be getting married to my fiancée in July who is a Japanese national and hoping to return back to Britain with her on a coming over on a spouse visa.

I understand I need to obtain a CNI in the UK and obtain a translated copy from a Consular Official in Tokyo.

I have contacted the embassy and was told that my fiancée would be able to pick up my CNI from the embassy to help move everything along provided she produces the original CNI, a copy of my passport (Endorsed by a notorial member of public) and the correct fee. The solicitor also recommended that the CNI and my passport be officiated with an apostille also.

Has anyone had there CNI picked up on their behalf before?

Could anyone also tell me if I need to be present in order to obtain the Certificate of Acceptance of Notification of Marriage or kon-in-todoke-juri-shomeisho? Of if again my fiancée can present the correct papers on my behalf?

The reason I ask this is so that she may begin preparation for her visa as soon the Kon-in-todoke-juri-shomeisho has been obtained as I will only be in Japan for three weeks.

I appreciate this topic has come up many times before but I have been unable to find answers to my specific situation.

I would be very grateful for any help or advice people may have.