(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Are Chinese mothers superior? - 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM

According to author Amy Chua they are.

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com

Quote:
A lot of people wonder how Chinese parents raise such stereotypically successful kids. They wonder what these parents do to produce so many math whizzes and music prodigies, what it's like inside the family, and whether they could do it too. Well, I can tell them, because I've done it. Here are some things my daughters, Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do:

• attend a sleepover

• have a playdate

• be in a school play

• complain about not being in a school play

• watch TV or play computer games

• choose their own extracurricular activities

• get any grade less than an A

• not be the No. 1 student in every subject except gym and drama

• play any instrument other than the piano or violin

• not play the piano or violin.

I'm using the term "Chinese mother" loosely. I know some Korean, Indian, Jamaican, Irish and Ghanaian parents who qualify too. Conversely, I know some mothers of Chinese heritage, almost always born in the West, who are not Chinese mothers, by choice or otherwise. I'm also using the term "Western parents" loosely. Western parents come in all varieties

All the same, even when Western parents think they're being strict, they usually don't come close to being Chinese mothers. For example, my Western friends who consider themselves strict make their children practice their instruments 30 minutes every day. An hour at most. For a Chinese mother, the first hour is the easy part. It's hours two and three that get tough.

Despite our squeamishness about cultural stereotypes, there are tons of studies out there showing marked and quantifiable differences between Chinese and Westerners when it comes to parenting. In one study of 50 Western American mothers and 48 Chinese immigrant mothers, almost 70% of the Western mothers said either that "stressing academic success is not good for children" or that "parents need to foster the idea that learning is fun." By contrast, roughly 0% of the Chinese mothers felt the same way. Instead, the vast majority of the Chinese mothers said that they believe their children can be "the best" students, that "academic achievement reflects successful parenting," and that if children did not excel at school then there was "a problem" and parents "were not doing their job." Other studies indicate that compared to Western parents, Chinese parents spend approximately 10 times as long every day drilling academic activities with their children. By contrast, Western kids are more likely to participate in sports teams.

What Chinese parents understand is that nothing is fun until you're good at it. To get good at anything you have to work, and children on their own never want to work, which is why it is crucial to override their preferences. This often requires fortitude on the part of the parents because the child will resist; things are always hardest at the beginning, which is where Western parents tend to give up. But if done properly, the Chinese strategy produces a virtuous circle. Tenacious practice, practice, practice is crucial for excellence; rote repetition is underrated in America. Once a child starts to excel at something—whether it's math, piano, pitching or ballet—he or she gets praise, admiration and satisfaction. This builds confidence and makes the once not-fun activity fun. This in turn makes it easier for the parent to get the child to work even more.

Chinese parents can get away with things that Western parents can't. Once when I was young—maybe more than once—when I was extremely disrespectful to my mother, my father angrily called me "garbage" in our native Hokkien dialect. It worked really well. I felt terrible and deeply ashamed of what I had done. But it didn't damage my self-esteem or anything like that. I knew exactly how highly he thought of me. I didn't actually think I was worthless or feel like a piece of garbage.

<continued>
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-17-2011, 10:27 AM

She has received a lot of criticism for this, and has back-tracked in many ways after its publication. She says she didn't endorse is, but just wrote about her experience.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-17-2011, 10:33 AM

It looks like an endorsement to me.

She's got some interesting points but she doesn't make them very well and I don't think she is qualified to make them which I think makes her essay a bunch of drivel.

The only thing of substance that she brings up to me is the idea that Western parents spoil their children but don't push them and instead let them get their own way. I've seen examples of this.

But she goes way too far in the other direction in my opinion.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-17-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
According to author Amy Chua they are.

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com
Im sorry i had to stop reading to get my breath after the 0% comment.....excuse me i have to go laugh some more just by wrighting it.