JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
oscardetorro (Offline)
New to JF

anyone shop at costco - 01-17-2011, 05:17 AM

I am moving to Japan in a few months. Will be living in Katsuura. I am wondering if anyone shops at costco regularly, curious how it compares to the states.

I am from Hawaii, and the Costco here has 9 Lb. bag of frozen tropical fruit, and an assortment of frozen berries at a great price. They also sell bulk brown rice. Wondering if Japan Costco carries these and in general what its like. I have tried emailing Coscto and calling but no help.
Thanks for nay help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-17-2011, 05:44 AM

My wife and I shop at Costco regularly. It's over a 2 hour drive away from us so we only head in about once a month though. I've never been to the US so don't know how it compares. You can certainly get frozen fruit. Not sure what 9 Lb's is though as I come from a country that actually has a populace not so butt dumb they couldn't change to the metric system
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-17-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Not sure what 9 Lb's is though as I come from a country that actually has a populace not so butt dumb they couldn't change to the metric system
Wow. Now we are going to make fun of something so petty as this? How about we play nice, or not at all?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
oscardetorro (Offline)
New to JF

01-17-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Not sure what 9 Lb's is though as I come from a country that actually has a populace not so butt dumb they couldn't change to the metric system
My bad, I should have used metric. I happen to be fluent in metric and standard. The conversion factor is 2.2.
So 9Lbs * 1Kg/2.2Lbs. = 4.09Kg

Do you know if they sell brown rice? Thanks for the response!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-17-2011, 06:16 AM

Don't feel the need to apologize.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

01-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Wow. Now we are going to make fun of something so petty as this? How about we play nice, or not at all?
Do you even understand the use of the smilies MMM? They are there for a reason you know? It was a joke...how do you not see that?

Last edited by GoNative : 01-17-2011 at 06:46 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Do you even understand the use of the smilies MMM? They are there for a reason you know? It was a joke...how do you not see that?
Please pardon me for not seeing the humor. I didn't realize you can say whatever you like as long as you put a smiley at the end.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

01-17-2011, 08:47 AM

Pardon me for not realising how touchy some of you Americans are about still using an outdated measurement system!!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Pardon me for not realising how touchy some of you Americans are about still using an outdated measurement system!!
And pardon me for calling a dick post a dick post.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

01-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't call it "outdated", I find it better in quite a few ways. In America most food products are sold by the pound, whereas in Japan the price is for every 100 grams. For Japan (and most other countries) the metric system works well, but America is a big country, and one coast to the other is more than 3000 miles, which is quite a few more kilometers.

As for Costco, in Japan you must pay 4000 yen per year for a membership. Japanese Costco stores are also extremely busy, so be prepared to wait a while in line after shopping. I often go to Costco because it is one of the only places in Japan which offers American style pizza at a near American price.