JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
pumpum (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-25-2011, 01:33 PM

lol im a little drunk and thought this thread was about "wife in japan"

The things that come to those who wait are the things that are left by those who got there first !
(#12 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile wives - 01-26-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpum View Post
.... and thought this thread was about "wife in japan"
BTW, it deserves a separate thread
(#13 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

01-26-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
mmhh.. I think that is quite a confusing question for many. I asked the same topic on a different board a while ago..

Some will tell you it's possible and that there are many Hot Spots (for free) around Japan.. and some will tell you, that it's hard to find them and that they are not really useable without a set amount?!

I am really stuck right now, whether I should by a Smartphone or not?! lol^^

also here.. FREESPOT

and.. 公衆無線LANサービスはYahoo!無線LANスポット - Yahoo!無線LANスポット
Does anybody from you know if those Free Spots are legit?

and if it were useful to buy a Smartphone from home before heading to Japan?!

thanks guys
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-09-2011, 10:44 PM

Has anyone in Japan heard of this company?

Mobile Internet - Rentafone Japan - Pocket WiFi / MiFi Rental

Last October I used the internet in my Tokyo hotel for 1050 yen/day (ripoff!) and I was using AT&T international data plan at $50/50Mb. I learned the hard way that internet can get quite expensive there. When I go back to Japan in March, I want to try and rent the pocket WiFi (MiFi) for 8900 yen for the time I'm there. It may sound like a lot, but compared to what I paid for last time, it's not that bad. At least I'd be able to take it with me and use my iPhone in airplane mode and manually turning on the WiFi.... If it's unlimited data, I can do all I need to do with my iPhone (GPS, Hyperdia, and social network) and then when I get to the hotels I'll be at, I can use my laptop for scouting the next day's activities.

So what do you think? Is it a reasonable thing? I'd be using the B-mobile system. I know it's using the NTT Docomo 3G system, but at least I'd be able to take it with me. I understand that in the mountains (Nagano, Matsumoto, Nikko) and the rural areas, the reception may be a bid dicey, but in the main cities I'd go to (Tokyo, Osaka, Kobe, Sendai, Hiroshima, Okayama, Kyoto, Nagoya, Nara) etc, it should work well. Am I correct?

Last edited by JohnBraden : 07-09-2011 at 10:49 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2011, 12:34 AM

I have used RentafoneJapan for a number of years now. Their personal service and rates are supurb! Convenient to use too. It is my "go to" phone company now for my frequent Japan trips (ever since they changed the laws about gaijin and cell phones and my Docomo Japanese keitai account and phone is no longer able to be maintained).

I have not used the data unit you describe....... but my other experience s tell me that it will do exactly what they are saying it will do.

Coverage is good....... never had any issues.

best,

...........john

Last edited by JBaymore : 07-10-2011 at 12:36 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-10-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
I have used RentafoneJapan for a number of years now. Their personal service and rates are supurb! Convenient to use too. It is my "go to" phone company now for my frequent Japan trips (ever since they changed the laws about gaijin and cell phones and my Docomo Japanese keitai account and phone is no longer able to be maintained).

I have not used the data unit you describe....... but my other experience s tell me that it will do exactly what they are saying it will do.

Coverage is good....... never had any issues.

best,

...........john
Thanks John!