JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

Why Japan? - 02-24-2011, 07:36 AM

I've got one simple question to ask people around the world. As my recognition, nobody really did give a damn about Japan a decade ago. But recent few years people suddenly and pretty much simultaneously started asking me about Japanese fashion, music, manga, and many other cultures through SNS. Of course I'm glad that foreign people started liking us. But, I really don't get it. What caused this strange phenomenon? What made you pay attention to Japan?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-24-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
I've got one simple question to ask people around the world. As my recognition, nobody really did give a damn about Japan a decade ago. But recent few years people suddenly and pretty much simultaneously started asking me about Japanese fashion, music, manga, and many other cultures through SNS. Of course I'm glad that foreign people started liking us. But, I really don't get it. What caused this strange phenomenon? What made you pay attention to Japan?
I am not sure how old you are, but I have been a student of Japanese for more than 20 years, and to be honest, the interest in Japan might have been greater in the 80s and 90s than it is now in the US. I used to teach Japanese at a local private school, and they have phased it out, sadly. The start liking happened a long time ago. I would ask why people are now looking at other countries.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
TrainOfThought (Offline)
JF Regular

02-24-2011, 08:13 AM

Well, I've liked Japan since I was really young. At first I didn't know why, and I knew very little about Japan in general. Then, about 10 years ago, I started playing a game called "Shougun: Total War" and heard Japanese for the "first" time, and I really liked the sound of it, I also got to hear a few instruments. It was all so different from what I was used to, and I think that made it extra interesting.
The reason I like Japan now, 10+ years older is mainly the language (which I finally decided to start studying), the food and a bunch of other things. You'll also find the most awesome tv-shows in japan. How i miss the old PrideFC and gaki no tsukai..

"Where you invest your love, you invest your life."
Mumford and Sons - Awake My Soul

"We can hope for the future, but there may not be one."
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not sure how old you are, but I have been a student of Japanese for more than 20 years, and to be honest, the interest in Japan might have been greater in the 80s and 90s than it is now in the US. I used to teach Japanese at a local private school, and they have phased it out, sadly. The start liking happened a long time ago. I would ask why people are now looking at other countries.

Thank you for the quick response. I am 34 now. And I had spent 2years in California in the mid 90s. And you maybe right at one point. Whole world was more interested in Japan more than these days at business level only because Japan had bigger economic power than now. But I never felt people around the world were interested in Japanese culture back then. My most intimate friends were Vietnamese and Mexican when I was in California. Most American people never looked so interested in hanging out with Japanese. I made more American friends after I came back to Japan than when I was in the states. Kinda strange isn't it? haha Anyway, thank you for your opinion.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-24-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainOfThought View Post
Well, I've liked Japan since I was really young. At first I didn't know why, and I knew very little about Japan in general. Then, about 10 years ago, I started playing a game called "Shougun: Total War" and heard Japanese for the "first" time, and I really liked the sound of it, I also got to hear a few instruments. It was all so different from what I was used to, and I think that made it extra interesting.
The reason I like Japan now, 10+ years older is mainly the language (which I finally decided to start studying), the food and a bunch of other things. You'll also find the most awesome tv-shows in japan. How i miss the old PrideFC and gaki no tsukai..

Thank you for your reply. Your case is kinda similar to the process I got into American culture. Through the entertainment.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-24-2011, 10:17 AM

Yeah. I always used to like Digimon. First I liked Pokemon,then Digimon came out and I got more into that,and it's stayed with me. I was always a Power Rangers fan and then one day I found out that it was actually adapted from Super Sentai and then a couple of years later I got back into it and then I gradually got into Kamen Rider and GARO and stuff.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-24-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Yeah. I always used to like Digimon. First I liked Pokemon,then Digimon came out and I got more into that,and it's stayed with me. I was always a Power Rangers fan and then one day I found out that it was actually adapted from Super Sentai and then a couple of years later I got back into it and then I gradually got into Kamen Rider and GARO and stuff.

Very interesting. That's just like how I got into western culture. In my case, it began with Iron Maiden and Ozzy Osbourne. Then, German and Swedish metal/hard rock bands, then American bands like Metallica, Pantera, White Zombie, Biohazard, Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies and so on & on & on.... Then hiphop, house, drum n' bass, reggae, trip hop....it goes on & on & on & on.
I was just like western music otaku. We both have been thuru the otaku process to get attracted to each others' culture. Interesting.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
PratikGizmo (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to PratikGizmo Send a message via Yahoo to PratikGizmo
02-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post

Why japan??...well.. some how "japan" was embedded in my mind since i was a little kid ,...as far as i remember,,..when i was 10 yeas old ...i went to "Ajanta caves" with my family,..well.. i am an indian,..and live in india,..so we often go to ajanta,....well.. the funny thing i saw in ajanta..was that.. my parents,the tour guild,..and all the other grown up people were interested in these man-made holes within the mountain...it didnt take long for me to realize that i was not the only one..i saw a group of japanese kids there!..it was first time i ever saw japanese people....the interesting for me was that...thies kids had super Hi-tech! toys!! it was a weird game boy with camera in it..O_o!..i went a bit near to talk to those kids,well ya they were friendly and curious like me too,..all the kids had a camera,cell phones,..some weird game boys!....and i had a wooden toy car with a string on it..-_-"!..i really felt like a cave-man there!!..and the weird part was..that they loved my LAME wooden toy car..==". they all were well dressed..and I had kechup on my shirt ><.........this was when i was first interested in japanese people,..then after when i was 14 ...i saw amazing Digimon,Pokemon!&..CCS..on CN..thies anime's helped me to learn more about the japanese culture...and hey!..xD..the kids i saw in ajanta,..looked the same as the kinds from Digimon!. ..Japanese kids are So different from me .. .
....sorry if my reply was long..
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-24-2011, 10:33 AM

for me until i met ,my japanese friend here in uk i only thought of the japanese during the war--------------never ever thought about japn apart from that.

i have read a lot about the war----------------i now like their historical art and craft skills.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikGizmo View Post
Why japan??...well.. some how "japan" was embedded in my mind since i was a little kid ,...as far as i remember,,..when i was 10 yeas old ...i went to "Ajanta caves" with my family,..well.. i am an indian,..and live in india,..so we often go to ajanta,....well.. the funny thing i saw in ajanta..was that.. my parents,the tour guild,..and all the other grown up people were interested in these man-made holes within the mountain...it didnt take long for me to realize that i was not the only one..i saw a group of japanese kids there!..it was first time i ever saw japanese people....the interesting for me was that...thies kids had super Hi-tech! toys!! it was a weird game boy with camera in it..O_o!..i went a bit near to talk to those kids,well ya they were friendly and curious like me too,..all the kids had a camera,cell phones,..some weird game boys!....and i had a wooden toy car with a string on it..-_-"!..i really felt like a cave-man there!!..and the weird part was..that they loved my LAME wooden toy car..==". they all were well dressed..and I had kechup on my shirt ><.........this was when i was first interested in japanese people,..then after when i was 14 ...i saw amazing Digimon,Pokemon!&..CCS..on CN..thies anime's helped me to learn more about the japanese culture...and hey!..xD..the kids i saw in ajanta,..looked the same as the kinds from Digimon!. ..Japanese kids are So different from me .. .
....sorry if my reply was long..

No, it wasn't long at all. I really enjoyed reading your post. Thank you so much.