JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Roppongi:Tokyo's most controversial night spot (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36358-roppongi-tokyos-most-controversial-night-spot.html)

Sinestra 03-01-2011 02:17 PM

Roppongi:Tokyo's most controversial night spot

Most of us who have been to Tokyo have either heard the warnings or experienced some of what is in this article. Some of things mentioned in the article actually happened to a friend mine. If you have not heard the horror stories of Roppongi well take a look. Its not all bad certain places can be a lot of fun for a night out but there are several little tricks that can help you avoid issues.

It decently written with some pretty accurate information so i thought i would post it up since its a good read.

Roppongi: Tokyo's most controversial night spot | CNNGo.com

tipsygypsy 03-01-2011 02:29 PM

I feel much safer hanging out in Roppongi rather than Kabuki-cho.

josebrown 03-01-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsygypsy (Post 853691)

can you explain why?
I was not going to touch kabukicho anyway but any experience info helps
thanks

BobbyCooper 03-01-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsygypsy (Post 853691)

Is there even one single dangerous place in beautiful Japan :)

maybe there are some dark coners you shouldn't walk through.. but is it even a bit comparable to let's say outside of Japan ;D

I think the safety first of all makes this country so amazing! There is really no other place wich is safer, at least what I heard!

WingsToDiscovery 03-01-2011 10:45 PM

I've never feared for my safety in Roppongi (I'm from Baltimore, so what's sketchy in Tokyo is nothing) but I absolutely can't stand the dumpiness of hideous gaijin guys trying to get girls and Nigerians begging you on every corner to come to their club. All while everyone is pissed drunk and there's garbage everywhere.

tipsygypsy 03-01-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josebrown (Post 853741)
can you explain why?
I was not going to touch kabukicho anyway but any experience info helps
thanks

One simple reason. Ropponig is concidered as luxurious playground for adults.
So, yakuza try not to make so many troubles. Thus people feel safe and they spend more money for expensive foods and booze. Of cours the money goes to yakuza. On the other hand, I often see the turf conflicts among yakuza, Chinese mafia, Korean mafia, colombians, nigerians in kabuki-cho.
I guess only places you can hear gun-shot sounds in japan are kabuki-cho and nishinari osaka

BobbyCooper 03-01-2011 11:29 PM

Isn't it safe to say that Japan is the BY FAR safest country in the World right now? And for a long long time now? :confused:

MMM 03-01-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyCooper (Post 853760)
Isn't it safe to say that Japan is the BY FAR safest country in the World right now? And for a long long time now? :confused:

I thought Switzerland had a lower crime rate, but it is a safe place. Saudi Arabia has a lower murder rate. But regardless, even if Japan is very safe, crime still happens and one should never leave one's guard down too far. Especially in places like Roppongi and Kabuki-cho at night.

BobbyCooper 03-02-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 853763)
I thought Switzerland had a lower crime rate, but it is a safe place. Saudi Arabia has a lower murder rate. But regardless, even if Japan is very safe, crime still happens and one should never leave one's guard down too far. Especially in places like Roppongi and Kabuki-cho at night.

there must be some stats out there too. If I find a nice list I'm gonna post it here.

yea, but Switzerland is way too small too have any crime.

1.Denmark
2.NewZealand
3.Ireland
4.Norway
5.Japan

The World’s Safest Countries for Any Traveler | .TR

The safest countries in the World to visit and Stay | ReasonPad

tipsygypsy 03-02-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyCooper (Post 853760)

uuh yes, Japan still is a safe country. I really felt that when I visited Compton and Watts LA. It was like everything I saw there scared the crap out of me :rolleyes: