JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-18-2011, 09:53 PM

Forgive me if this has been said somewhere else on this thread, but 100+ pages is a lot to read through

But is this considered the 'big one' that people have been predicting for Tokyo?
I know that it was focused nowhere near Tokyo, but it seems like something that would fit the bill.

If not, Tokyo's lucky it wasn't the focus of the 'big one' after all.
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post comparisons - 05-29-2011, 11:34 PM

Soil contamination from Fukushima crisis comparable to Chernobyl: study

Wednesday 25th May, 06:46 AM JST

TOKYO —
Radiation released by the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has caused soil contamination matching the levels seen in the Chernobyl disaster in some areas, a researcher told the government’s nuclear policy-setting body Tuesday. ‘‘A massive soil decontamination project will be indispensable before residents in those areas can return,’’ said Tomio Kawata, a research fellow of the Nuclear Waste Management Organization of Japan, at the meeting of the Japan Atomic Energy Commission, which sets policies and strategies for the government’s nuclear power development.

According to Kawata, soil in a 600 square kilometer area mostly to the northwest of the Fukushima plant is likely to have absorbed radioactive cesium of over 1.48 million becquerels per square meter, the yardstick for compulsory migration orders in the 1986 Chernobyl catastrophe.

Kawata also said soil in a 700 square km area is likely to have absorbed 555,000-1.48 million becquerels per square meter, which was a criteria for temporary migration during the Chernobyl disaster.

Kawata estimated the soil contamination using data on radiation levels in the air monitored by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.

The size of the contaminated areas in the Fukushima crisis is one-tenth to one-fifth of those polluted in the Chernobyl disaster, Kawata said.

While the expected radiation exposure from 1.48 million becquerels of cesium is around five millisieverts a year, below the government’s benchmark of 20 millisieverts for evacuation orders, decontamination will still be necessary before evacuees can return as radioactive cesium binds strongly to soil, making it hard to reduce radiation levels, Kawata said.

JapanToday
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-30-2011, 09:15 AM

apart from this previous posting I notice that some are trying to get rid of Prime Minister Kan. what effect will this have on Japan?
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

05-30-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
apart from this previous posting I notice that some are trying to get rid of Prime Minister Kan. what effect will this have on Japan?

One thing I've noticed about Japanese politics is the political life of the Prime Minister in Japan is somewhat volatile. They go through PMs there like crazy. The last one resigned due to, among other things, the fact he couldn't deliver on his campaign speech to lessen the US presence in Okinawa. I'm sure Kan will step down soon and they'll have yet another PM. That's the political life in Japan.

Last edited by JohnBraden : 05-30-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old
GoNative (Offline)

06-02-2011, 09:28 AM

A good link for current radiation levels found in major Japanese cities. Currently New York is receiving more radiation than any Japanese city!

News - Radiation Levels at Major Cities in Japan (Updated June 1, 2011) - Official Tourism Guide for Japan Travel
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post interview - 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Fukushima Workers Speak Out
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

robots - 06-25-2011, 12:56 AM

High tech equipment malfunctions in robots working at the Fukushima nuclear reactor could be due to extremely high levels of radiation interfering with equipment electronics.

A T-Hawk drone helicopter taking radiation measurements outside of reactor 2 unexpectedly crash landed on the roof top of Fukushima reactor 2 and officials have yet to give an explanation.

Source
Old
GoNative (Offline)

06-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
High tech equipment malfunctions in robots working at the Fukushima nuclear reactor could be due to extremely high levels of radiation interfering with equipment electronics.

A T-Hawk drone helicopter taking radiation measurements outside of reactor 2 unexpectedly crash landed on the roof top of Fukushima reactor 2 and officials have yet to give an explanation.

Source
So now you're resorting to posting some rubbish from some guys blog that is filled with absolute BS 'news' stories. Not enough sensationalist crap for you in the mainstream media at the moment?
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile stories - 06-25-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
So now you're resorting to posting some rubbish from some guys blog that is filled with absolute BS 'news' stories. Not enough sensationalist crap for you in the mainstream media at the moment?
You know, I see no rubbish and crap here except your posts
Old
GoNative (Offline)

06-26-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
You know, I see no rubbish and crap here except your posts
Really, you are going to actually try and say that that blog in your link is a credible source of information on what's occurring in Japan? Please don't make me laugh so hard!!