JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Big earthquake in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36530-big-earthquake-japan.html)

JohnBraden 06-26-2011 12:43 AM

NHK did report that an unmanned helicopter crash-landed on the roof of Reactor No. 2 because of loss of control. At the time, officials didn't know what the cause was.

I haven't clicked on the link nor will I, but, in his defense, what he posted was partly true.

JohnBraden 06-27-2011 03:06 PM

Didn't you make a thread about this already?

financrisval 06-27-2011 04:36 PM

hello

I hope that strong earthquake will not happen anymore not only in japan but all the country in the world .

RickOShay 06-28-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by financrisval (Post 870031)
I hope that strong earthquake will not happen anymore not only in japan but all the country in the world .

I suggest you take a geology class and rephrase your statement to say something like, I hope that a strong earthquake like that will not take such a high toll on lives and leave such great destruction ever again any place in the world.

RealJames 06-28-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickOShay (Post 870102)
I suggest you take a geology class and rephrase your statement to say something like, I hope that a strong earthquake like that will not take such a high toll on lives and leave such great destruction ever again any place in the world.

Why cant those damned tectonic plates just get along ffs.

GoNative 06-29-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 869864)
NHK did report that an unmanned helicopter crash-landed on the roof of Reactor No. 2 because of loss of control. At the time, officials didn't know what the cause was.

I haven't clicked on the link nor will I, but, in his defense, what he posted was partly true.

My issue is the blog itself as a source of information on what is happening in Japan. If you take a look at the blog you'll see that it is just another conspiracy nutters website. The fact he is using that site to get his news or information is either just getting desperate (for anything sensational) or is a testament to what a nutter he is himself.

JohnBraden 06-29-2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 870197)
My issue is the blog itself as a source of information on what is happening in Japan. If you take a look at the blog you'll see that it is just another conspiracy nutters website. The fact he is using that site to get his news or information is either just getting desperate (for anything sensational) or is a testament to what a nutter he is himself.

Gotcha.... Looks like he was speculating about the radiation affecting the piece of equipment. It could have been a myriad of things that made it crash. Heck, the controller may have run out of batteries for all I know....

You're right about the source of the info being sketchy at best....

termogard 11-04-2011 02:13 AM

claims

Thousands rally for Fukushima compensation, decontamination

National Oct. 31, 2011 - 09:45AM JST ( 21 )

Thousands of people attend an anti-nuclear rally in Fukushima City on Sunday.

Thousands of people angered by Japan’s nuclear power plant accident rallied in Fukushima on Sunday to demand full compensation for victims of the crisis, and swift decontamination of their neighborhoods.

The rally in Fukushima city, some 60 kilometers from the plant, was attended by around 10,000 people, its organizers estimated.

“Our town should be decontaminated at the earliest possible date and our life should be restored as it was before March 11,” Tamotsu Baba, mayor of Namie town, told the rally, according to Jiji Press.

A 9.0-magnitude earthquake and monster tsunami on March 11 crippled the plant’s cooling systems and sparked reactor meltdowns, a series of explosions and the release of huge amounts of radiation into the environment.

All the 21,000 residents in Namie, just north of the Fukushima Daiichi plant, were forced to evacuate from their homes and remained sheltered in the prefecture and elsewhere in the country.

More than seven months after the disaster, tens of thousands of people remain evacuated from homes and businesses in a 20-kilometer no-go zone around the plant and in pockets beyond.

Fully decontaminating those areas is expected to take decades.

Source

Ryzorian 11-07-2011 07:49 PM

Nothing in life is free. If you want energy at a decent rate you have to pay the piper.

termogard 11-17-2011 12:19 AM

contaminated rice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryzorian (Post 886068)
Nothing in life is free. If you want energy at a decent rate you have to pay the piper.

Entirely correct.

High radioactivity detected in some Fukushima rice

An inspection of recently-harvested rice in Fukushima Prefecture has found levels of radiation higher than the government-allowed limit.

The Fukushima Prefectural government says tests have detected 630 becquerels per kilogram of radioactive cesium in rice from a field in the Oonami district in Fukushima City. The government's maximum allowable level is 500 becquerels per kilogram.

Oonami is about 50 kilometers from the disabled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

The prefectural assessment followed tests conducted by a local agricultural cooperative on Monday, which pointed to higher dosages than the interim tolerable limit.

The prefecture says the farm in question produced about 840 kilograms of rice this year. It says the harvested rice is being kept in a warehouse and has not gone into circulation.

The prefecture says it has asked all farmers in the district to suspend rice shipments.

The central government says it has begun to assess whether to ban rice shipments from the district altogether.

This is the first time that radiation levels higher than the government limit have been found in rice crops since the nuclear accident.

Last month, the prefecture allowed shipments from the district after tests at 2 locations largely confirmed radioactive levels lower than the legal limit.

The prefecture says it will reexamine the crops from all 154 farms in the district.

A prefectural agriculture department official says the prefectural government is appalled by the test results. He says the prefecture will try to obtain information on distribution of rice from surrounding areas, and will investigate why the rice contained such high levels of radiation.

The head of the local agricultural cooperative says his cooperative takes the fact that radioactive cesium has been detected in the district seriously despite the contradictory results of earlier tests. He says his cooperative plans to conduct more detailed tests.

NHK News