JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Big earthquake in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36530-big-earthquake-japan.html)

kouichisan 03-15-2011 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsygypsy (Post 856515)
4th reactor is on fire now.

:eek: crap

termogard 03-15-2011 02:26 AM

neighbours

Russia mulls additional support over Japan quake, vows solidarity

PARIS, March 14 (AP) - (Kyodo)—Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told his Japanese counterpart Takeaki Matsumoto in their meeting Monday that Russia is considering additional support to help Japan address rescue operations in the aftermath of a powerful earthquake last week and nuclear plant accidents, a Japanese official said.
In their talks held in Charles de Gaulle Airport in the suburbs of Paris ahead of a two-day meeting of the Group of Eight foreign ministers, Lavrov also expressed solidarity with the Japanese people to overcome the disaster, the official said.

Matsumoto thanked Lavrov for Russia's assistance, by telling him that Moscow's support will encourage the Japanese people, according to the official.

Lavrov told Matsumoto that his country will decide specifically what kind of additional support it will extend to Japan by taking into account Tokyo's request, the official added.

Source

Additional units of rescuers from Russian Federation to fly in Japan

MOSCOW, March 14 (Itar-Tass) -- Another group of Russian rescuers and two nuclear experts from the Russian state corporation Rosatom flied to Japan from Moscow, the information department in the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations told Itar-Tass on Monday.

“An airplane Il-76 took off at 4 p.m. Moscow time on Monday from the Ramenskoye airfield outside Moscow to Tokyo. The airplane is carrying 50 rescuers from the Leader major rescue task force and the special rescue equipment,” the EMERCOM information department reported. “Japan did not ask for the help of the teams of rescue dog handlers, therefore, only the rescuers flied to Japan,” the information department said.

Two Rosatom nuclear experts flied by the same special flight together with the Russian rescuers. “These two nuclear experts flied to Japan to give the assistance to their Japanese colleagues and to provide for the non-stop information to Rosatom about the current information on the emergency reactors at the Japanese Fukushima-1 nuclear power plant,” the Rosatom deputy general director Alexander Lokshin, who heads the Rosatom emergency headquarters on the natural disaster in Japan, told a press briefing in Rosatom on Monday.

“The airplane will make an intermediate landing in Krasnoyarsk to take aboard 25 rescuers from the Siberian regional emergencies center,” the EMERCOM information department reported.

“The Siberian rescuers have the equipment and the outfits to remove the debris and to perform chemical and radiation reconnaissance missions. They are ready for the autonomous work within two weeks,” the press service of the Siberian regional EMERCOM center reported. The team of Siberian rescuers include those who had already worked in the earthquake zone on the Iturup Island in 1994 and on Sakhalin in 1995.

An airplane An-74 with 25 rescuers is to take off from the Khabarovsk airport.

“The mission of our rescuers is to search for people under the debris, recover injured people and to give the first medical aid to them,” the EMERCOM information department reported. “The Russian rescuers will work on their own for 15 days at first and may be further with additional food supplies to be made for them,” the EMERCOM information department added.

ITAR-TASS News agency

tipsygypsy 03-15-2011 02:26 AM

Tokyo 100CPM = 1micro sievert/hour

termogard 03-15-2011 02:35 AM

scheme

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsygypsy (Post 856519)
Tokyo

What does that mean? Live geiger counting in Tokyo area?

tipsygypsy 03-15-2011 02:36 AM

@termogard

Yes.

termogard 03-15-2011 02:43 AM

Tokyo area

Just found in the Net :

Source: NHK LIVE. The increase of radiation levels allegedly caused by reactor No4 fire.

dannavy85 03-15-2011 02:49 AM

an exposure of 1 full sievert/hour is a fatal dose.

tipsygypsy 03-15-2011 03:00 AM

reactor No.4 fire is extinguished

termogard 03-15-2011 03:04 AM

rods

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsygypsy (Post 856530)
reactor No.4 fire is extinguished

Good news!

According to some sources, reactor No4 does not contain fuel rods, only spent fuel.

GoNative 03-15-2011 03:06 AM

I believe #4 reactor was already shut down well before the quake.

GoNative 03-15-2011 03:47 AM

Here is a table comparing doses of radition and their effects. With all the figures being thrown around it's hard to know what kind of exposure you need to be concerned about.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/env_rpt/aser95/tb-a-2.pdf

Is there anywhere they have a real time map of the where the radioactive gases are moving with radiation levels at different sites? That would be helpful!

tipsygypsy 03-15-2011 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 856543)
Here is a table comparing doses of radition and their effects. With all the figures being thrown around it's hard to know what kind of exposure you need to be concerned about.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/env_rpt/aser95/tb-a-2.pdf

Is there anywhere they have a real time map of the where the radioactive gases are moving with radiation levels at different sites? That would be helpful!

If you have no difficulty reading Japanase

CSO

wappydoppy 03-15-2011 04:12 AM

It's only a short clip, but it's the size of the wave

YouTube - Japan Tsunami at full height from the ground level.

This, from Sunday, has more or less no coverage in Western media

YouTube - Volcano Mountain Blast with Massive earthquake 8.9 in Japan, Tsunami Eathquake 13.03.2011

GoNative 03-15-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsygypsy (Post 856549)
If you have no difficulty reading Japanase

CSO

Thanks for that tipsy. From what I can tell from those links most areas away from the reactors have little to worry about at this stage.

wappydoppy 03-15-2011 05:18 AM

Hmm...right, well, as my previous post was all doom and gloom - for all you fans of cats - here's some good news from Japan's 'Cat Island'

http://blogs.catster.com/the-cats-me...ws/2011/03/13/

:ywave:

tipsygypsy 03-15-2011 06:47 AM

German calculation

GoNative 03-15-2011 07:05 AM

Nice find Tipsy. So today looks like the worst day for those south of the reactors so far. Will be interesting to see if levels reach unsafe levels for long in any major populated areas. I hope they don't!

tipsygypsy 03-15-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 856638)
Nice find Tipsy. So today looks like the worst day for those south of the reactors so far. Will be interesting to see if levels reach unsafe levels for long in any major populated areas. I hope they don't!

radiated cloud caused by No.3 reactor explosion had passed Tokyo this morning. and the level of radiation increased from 20CPM to 80CPM then.

We assume another one caused by No.4 reactor explosion will reach Tokyo around 20:00-24:00 tonight. I'm not sure how the level of radioactivity would be then.

GoNative 03-15-2011 07:30 AM

That's not too bad then. It's not unusual to have up between 350-400 cpm when you fly in a plane on a trans continental flight. Sure we're talking differnt types of radiation but that's nowhere near unsafe levels in Tokyo.

orca 03-15-2011 09:53 AM

With all the pictures coming out from this disaster, I can't help but notice how clean everybody is, is it just me or is it in almost every pic everybody is really clean wearing really clean clothes that look freshly washed and ironed even days after this has happened, including all the rooms they are taking shelter in all the blankets like they just come out the wash and everything freshly ironed crisp and clean, in fact only today did I see just one picture of a guy who had a bit of dust on his hands. Amazing.

Usually with natural disasters like this u would naturally see people covered in dirt and dust and looking dishevelled and untidy and terrified screaming, and here are these people calm and, again, I just can't help but notice, very very clean!

CarlVercetti 03-15-2011 11:00 AM

Hi everyone, i'm Italian and i leterally LOVE Japan, more of my country (Italy...). I'm very worried about the situation and the Italian News are really idiots to give information. First they say that Tokyo it's in normal situation and the radiation are very low, later they say that Tokyo is desert and the radiation is very high so I ask to someone that live in Tokyo the real condition of the city and of the Fukushima's Nuclear Plant.
I hope that Japan will back Stronger than before as soon as possible because it's my favourite country and it's my dream to come (not for living. I will die of heart attack in case of Eartquake :|. )

termogard 03-15-2011 11:27 AM

Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant

2 Attachment(s)
Damaged reactor of Chernobyl Power Station : disaster of 1986 and current protective sarcophagus.

Celte 03-15-2011 11:34 AM

After Chernobyl we got serious fallouts in Eastern France and in Corsica, though the french authorities didn't let us know first.

Then we were told not to eat mushrooms and milk products.

Look at this :
YouTube - Cloud Of Lies - evolution du nuage radioactif de tchernobyl par le Sergent ( 26 avril 1986 )

I hope japanese authorities are more responsible than ours back then.

termogard 03-15-2011 12:04 PM

authorities

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celte (Post 856718)
After Chernobyl we got serious fallouts in Eastern France and in Corsica, though the french authorities didn't let us know first.

Then we were told not to eat mushrooms and milk products.

Look at this :
YouTube - Cloud Of Lies - evolution du nuage radioactif de tchernobyl par le Sergent ( 26 avril 1986 )

I hope japanese authorities are more responsible than ours back then.

Interesting link, thanks, never knew about!

As for milk products, it's believable...... but why mushrooms?!

------------------------

Red wine 'can protect against radiation'

Impending nuclear attack? Then scientists may soon recommend that it is best you start drinking heavily and not just because you may be facing oblivion.

According to the latest research, red wine - along with its many other claimed benefits - may also protect you from radiation exposure.

A team at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine have discovered that resveratrol, the natural anti-oxidant found in red wine, can protect cells from the damage caused by radiation.

In experiments on mice the scientists found that when combined with the chemical acetyl and administered before radiation exposure it protected the cells and helped prevent death.

The results, to be presented to the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, could lead to drugs to counteract poisoning in the wake of a nuclear emergency or attack.

"New, small molecules with radioprotective capacity will be required for treatment in case of radiation spills or even as countermeasures against radiological terrorism," said Dr Joel Greenberger of the Department of Radiation Oncology at the university.

Source

And the best ever Red Wine is produced in France, right?;)

"According to latest research" , they wrote.:D I know that Soviet crewmembers of nuclear subs used to drink small amounts of red wine to protect themselves of possible radioactive exposure. There are movies about submariners depicted such scenes.

GoNative 03-15-2011 12:08 PM

Thankfully there has not been a complete breach of the vessels that protect the cores in any of the reactors. This is nothing like the same magnitude of Chernobyl.

termogard 03-15-2011 12:16 PM

reactors

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 856726)
Thankfully there has not been a complete breach of the vessels that protect the cores in any of the reactors. This is nothing like the same magnitude of Chernobyl.

Yes, now the main source of radiation is a vapor from damaged blocks, I suppose mainly from broken pipelines of cooling system or emergency vent valves of reactor vessels.

Watch the wind !:eek:

GoNative 03-15-2011 12:21 PM

I thought the main source was the continued venting of gases to reduce pressure in the cores. I haven't heard anything about damage and leakage. Has there been something about that in the media? I must admit I've taken a break from the media for a bit. It can get a bit too depressing glued to it all the time!

termogard 03-15-2011 12:31 PM

damage and leakage

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 856730)
I thought the main source was the continued venting of gases to reduce pressure in the cores. I haven't heard anything about damage and leakage.

You are right, speaking of venting of gases . But after those powerful hydrogen explosions cores also could get a certain damage, cracks for instance.

coltostallion 03-15-2011 12:33 PM

Japan has been very open with the radiation levels. Tokyo is about four hours south of Fukushima, and while they have noticed a slight increase in radiation, it's very slight. The level in Tokyo now is reported to be 0.8184 micro-grays over a 24 hour period. Thus, if you spent 4,686.72 years in Tokyo at this level, you would accumulate the same amount of radiation as getting a single X-ray.

Celte 03-15-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by termogard (Post 856725)
Red wine 'can protect against radiation'

Is this serious ? Then we should be okay in any nuclear accident here. Do we know which one of Bourgogne, Beaujolais or Bordeaux protects best ? I will grab a bottle from my cellar. :D

As for the mushrooms, it's because it keeps easily the 134Cs and 137Cs, as you can see : SpringerLink - Oecologia, Volume 73, Number 4

termogard 03-15-2011 12:42 PM

Red Wine as a Best AntiRadiation Cure

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celte (Post 856734)
Is this serious ? Then we should be okay in any nuclear accident here. Do we know which one of Bourgogne, Beaujolais or Bordeaux protects best ? I will grab a bottle from my cellar. :D

I think, Bordeaux would protect perfectly:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celte;856734As for the mushrooms, it's because it keeps easily the 134Cs and 137Cs, as you can see : [url=http://www.springerlink.com/content/g22774h2u10h3m3x/
SpringerLink - Oecologia, Volume 73, Number 4[/url]

Understood, thank you!:)

Celte 03-15-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 856730)
I thought the main source was the continued venting of gases to reduce pressure in the cores. I haven't heard anything about damage and leakage. Has there been something about that in the media? I must admit I've taken a break from the media for a bit. It can get a bit too depressing glued to it all the time!

Rated 6 out of 7 according to the media here.

I don't know what it means exactly.

Another source in english :

Quote:

Residents living within 30km (18 miles) of the plant have been advised to leave the area, or to stay indoors, and try to make their homes airtight.
There is a useful table with the levels of exposure :
BBC News - Q&A: Health effects of radiation exposure

CarlVercetti 03-15-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coltostallion (Post 856733)
Japan has been very open with the radiation levels. Tokyo is about four hours south of Fukushima, and while they have noticed a slight increase in radiation, it's very slight. The level in Tokyo now is reported to be 0.8184 micro-grays over a 24 hour period. Thus, if you spent 4,686.72 years in Tokyo at this level, you would accumulate the same amount of radiation as getting a single X-ray.

So the situation is still "calm" in Tokyo? Because here the media says that Tokyo it's looks like a Ghost Town and there is a "Radiation Allert" but they didn't say anything about the level.

GoNative 03-15-2011 01:09 PM

Here is a statement made by the UK governments chief Scientific Adviser. The notes were taken by the Chief Exec of the British Chamber of Commerce Japan, today:

Quote:

BCCJ Members Update on Japan’s Nuclear Power station situation

At 5pm Tokyo time (Tuesday 15th March 2011) a telephone briefing was given by Sir John Beddington the UK’s Chief Scientific adviser and Hilary Walker Deputy Director Emergency Preparedness at the Department of Health.

“Unequivocally, Tokyo will not be affected by the radiation fallout of explosions that have or may occur at the Fukushima nuclear power stations.”

The danger area is within the 30 kilometer evacuation zone and no one is recommended or will be allowed to enter this area other than those people directly involved with the emergency procedures currently being undertaken at both Fukushima 1 & 2.

Sir John went on to answer a series of questions including a comparison between Chernobyl and Japan. He said “they are entirely different, Chernobyl exploded and there was a subsequent fire with radioactive materials being launched 30,000 ft into the air. The maximum height of any Fukushima explosions would be no more than 500 metres."

“The radiation that has been released is miniscule and would have to be orders of 1,000 or more for it to be a threat to humans” This was confirmed by Hilary Walker.

He went on to say that the Japanese authorities are doing their best to keep the reactors cooled and that this is a continuing operation. All workers on site dealing with the emergency are being fully decontaminated at the end of each shift.

When asked on how reliable was the information coming from the Japanese authorities as to radiation levels he said “this cannot be fabricated and the Japanese authorities are positing all the readings on the recognized international inforamton sites which they are obliged to do. Independent verification shows that the data provided is accurate”.

In answer to a specific question from the Head of the British School in Tokyo, Sir John Beddington and Hilary Walker said that there was no reason at all for the school to be closed unless there were other issues such as power outages and transport problems.

David Fitton, First Minister at the British Embassy in Tokyo moderated the teleconference and confirmed that a transcript of the briefing will be available on the Embassy website later today.

I hope this well help to reduce some of the fearmongering going on by some of the media out there.

Inglar 03-15-2011 01:27 PM

I would like to bring condolence to the Japanese people. Be strong. The whole world is worried about you. Russia.

GoNative 03-15-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlVercetti (Post 856737)
So the situation is still "calm" in Tokyo? Because here the media says that Tokyo it's looks like a Ghost Town and there is a "Radiation Allert" but they didn't say anything about the level.

Tokyo is quieter than normal but this is mostly due to the fact there are continuing rolling power blackouts which is affecting transport significantly. Many workplaces remain closed. It has little if anything to do with radiation levels which have barely increased at all in Tokyo.

tipsygypsy 03-15-2011 01:38 PM

We just had another big earthquake. it wasn't as big as the one on 11th. but the epicenter was pretty close to Mt. fuji this time. We have another nuke plant in Shizuoka, and Mt. Fuji is the biggest volcano in Japan....

godwine 03-15-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsygypsy (Post 856753)
We just had another big earthquake. it wasn't as big as the one on 11th. but the epicenter was pretty close to Mt. fuji this time. We have another nuke plant in Shizuoka, and Mt. Fuji is the biggest volcano in Japan....

When did this happen? Any news coverage yet?

tipsygypsy 03-15-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 856754)

about 5minutes ago. and it seems nuclear plant in Shizuoka and Mt. Fuji both are ok.

but this time, even people in Osaka could feel the quake.

termogard 03-15-2011 01:55 PM

NHK english live

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 856754)

Here is a net version of NHK Live coverage