JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Big earthquake in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36530-big-earthquake-japan.html)

Sangetsu 03-11-2011 08:48 AM

The shaking continues, the aftershocks are quite large. Video is coming from outlying areas showing collapsed homes and buildings. People throughout Tokyo are stranded as the trains are not running, and there aren't enough taxis or buses to move people around.

ryuurui 03-11-2011 08:54 AM

phones are stil overloaded.

Got feedback from my friends in Akita. Some areas got no power, no phones, no net, collapsed homes. Reports of fires in Tokyo as well.

persephonequinn 03-11-2011 08:57 AM

Guys & Girls, please be safe.
I received my last message from my friend at Sendai - Miyagi telling me absolutely massive earthquake, and when I reply, he no longer reply me. Hope he is safe, and also everyone in Japan

termogard 03-11-2011 09:01 AM

earthquake

Sad, but I hope national emergency warning system (best in the World) worked in time and death toll is minimal...
Our hearts with you , friends !

Nyororin 03-11-2011 09:03 AM

We felt it here... It was enough to wake me up from napping. The cats came screaming for me to open the bedroom door - I did - and they came in and refused to leave my side... Then it started shaking.
It wasn`t bad enough here to cause any real damage, but it was definitely a LONG quake. We`re still feeling most of the aftershocks that are over 5.

It was a huge quake... BUT - don`t confuse the 8 something at the epicenter with the actual shaking in populated areas (high 6 ~ low 7 at it`s worst). The quake itself isn`t the biggest issue. It`s the wide spread of the quaking - a 6 or 7 wouldn`t be a big deal in one spot with most of it dissipated before spreading too far. This one was a very shallow quake with a huge radius of impact. Not to mention the tsunamis. But the biggest is that it shook Tokyo quite a bit.

I do think that there won`t be THAT many casualties as the area being hardest hit by the tsunamis was already on alert. There was an earthquake of close scale earlier this week (the 9th?) that was warned to possibly be a "pre" quake.

Right now they`re saying 14 confirmed deaths and 20 or so missing people, which is pretty low (in my opinion) for something this wide spread.

As for the washed away cars and ships - most are empty. Fishing close to the coast will bring you home by noon. Ships further out won`t suffer much, if at all. The ships being overturned, etc, are ships in port.

Columbine 03-11-2011 09:20 AM

lkshaglkh just woke up, oh my goodness. Thankfully most people I know in Japan near Tokyo and further north already seem to be online and leaving comments, so they must be OK.

Stay safe all; be careful of those aftershocks.

Raemond 03-11-2011 09:22 AM

I shall pray for my fellow men and women,in this hard time..:(

fatalbert130 03-11-2011 09:25 AM

OMG!
The farm village of the coast of Natori City was destroyed by a tsunami.

国内最大の地震 津波厳重警戒 NHKニュース

eaask 03-11-2011 09:29 AM

Hello

i\'m very sad from this news

incredible news....

sorry i have 1 question,,,

i will travel to Morioka next week ... what\'s your opinion ???
it\'s dangerous or no ??

tipsygypsy 03-11-2011 09:31 AM

aftershock, after aftershock, afta afta afta shock!! they just hit us minute after minute, second after second. damn,,,is this like beginning of the end of Japan?