JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#501 (permalink))
Old
CarlVercetti (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Hi everyone, i'm Italian and i leterally LOVE Japan, more of my country (Italy...). I'm very worried about the situation and the Italian News are really idiots to give information. First they say that Tokyo it's in normal situation and the radiation are very low, later they say that Tokyo is desert and the radiation is very high so I ask to someone that live in Tokyo the real condition of the city and of the Fukushima's Nuclear Plant.
I hope that Japan will back Stronger than before as soon as possible because it's my favourite country and it's my dream to come (not for living. I will die of heart attack in case of Eartquake :|. )
(#502 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant - 03-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Damaged reactor of Chernobyl Power Station : disaster of 1986 and current protective sarcophagus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chernobyl_Disaster.jpg (70.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 800px-Chernobyl_Nuclear_Power_Plant.jpg (105.5 KB, 39 views)
(#503 (permalink))
Old
Celte (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2011, 11:34 AM

After Chernobyl we got serious fallouts in Eastern France and in Corsica, though the french authorities didn't let us know first.

Then we were told not to eat mushrooms and milk products.

Look at this :
YouTube - Cloud Of Lies - evolution du nuage radioactif de tchernobyl par le Sergent ( 26 avril 1986 )

I hope japanese authorities are more responsible than ours back then.
(#504 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post authorities - 03-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celte View Post
After Chernobyl we got serious fallouts in Eastern France and in Corsica, though the french authorities didn't let us know first.

Then we were told not to eat mushrooms and milk products.

Look at this :
YouTube - Cloud Of Lies - evolution du nuage radioactif de tchernobyl par le Sergent ( 26 avril 1986 )

I hope japanese authorities are more responsible than ours back then.
Interesting link, thanks, never knew about!

As for milk products, it's believable...... but why mushrooms?!

------------------------

Red wine 'can protect against radiation'

Impending nuclear attack? Then scientists may soon recommend that it is best you start drinking heavily and not just because you may be facing oblivion.

According to the latest research, red wine - along with its many other claimed benefits - may also protect you from radiation exposure.

A team at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine have discovered that resveratrol, the natural anti-oxidant found in red wine, can protect cells from the damage caused by radiation.

In experiments on mice the scientists found that when combined with the chemical acetyl and administered before radiation exposure it protected the cells and helped prevent death.

The results, to be presented to the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, could lead to drugs to counteract poisoning in the wake of a nuclear emergency or attack.

"New, small molecules with radioprotective capacity will be required for treatment in case of radiation spills or even as countermeasures against radiological terrorism," said Dr Joel Greenberger of the Department of Radiation Oncology at the university.

Source

And the best ever Red Wine is produced in France, right?

"According to latest research" , they wrote. I know that Soviet crewmembers of nuclear subs used to drink small amounts of red wine to protect themselves of possible radioactive exposure. There are movies about submariners depicted such scenes.
(#505 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Thankfully there has not been a complete breach of the vessels that protect the cores in any of the reactors. This is nothing like the same magnitude of Chernobyl.
(#506 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post reactors - 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Thankfully there has not been a complete breach of the vessels that protect the cores in any of the reactors. This is nothing like the same magnitude of Chernobyl.
Yes, now the main source of radiation is a vapor from damaged blocks, I suppose mainly from broken pipelines of cooling system or emergency vent valves of reactor vessels.

Watch the wind !
(#507 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-15-2011, 12:21 PM

I thought the main source was the continued venting of gases to reduce pressure in the cores. I haven't heard anything about damage and leakage. Has there been something about that in the media? I must admit I've taken a break from the media for a bit. It can get a bit too depressing glued to it all the time!
(#508 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post damage and leakage - 03-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
I thought the main source was the continued venting of gases to reduce pressure in the cores. I haven't heard anything about damage and leakage.
You are right, speaking of venting of gases . But after those powerful hydrogen explosions cores also could get a certain damage, cracks for instance.
(#509 (permalink))
Old
coltostallion (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Japan has been very open with the radiation levels. Tokyo is about four hours south of Fukushima, and while they have noticed a slight increase in radiation, it's very slight. The level in Tokyo now is reported to be 0.8184 micro-grays over a 24 hour period. Thus, if you spent 4,686.72 years in Tokyo at this level, you would accumulate the same amount of radiation as getting a single X-ray.
(#510 (permalink))
Old
Celte (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
Red wine 'can protect against radiation'
Is this serious ? Then we should be okay in any nuclear accident here. Do we know which one of Bourgogne, Beaujolais or Bordeaux protects best ? I will grab a bottle from my cellar.

As for the mushrooms, it's because it keeps easily the 134Cs and 137Cs, as you can see : SpringerLink - Oecologia, Volume 73, Number 4