JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Big earthquake in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36530-big-earthquake-japan.html)

termogard 03-15-2011 12:42 PM

Red Wine as a Best AntiRadiation Cure

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celte (Post 856734)
Is this serious ? Then we should be okay in any nuclear accident here. Do we know which one of Bourgogne, Beaujolais or Bordeaux protects best ? I will grab a bottle from my cellar. :D

I think, Bordeaux would protect perfectly:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celte;856734As for the mushrooms, it's because it keeps easily the 134Cs and 137Cs, as you can see : [url=http://www.springerlink.com/content/g22774h2u10h3m3x/
SpringerLink - Oecologia, Volume 73, Number 4[/url]

Understood, thank you!:)

Celte 03-15-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 856730)
I thought the main source was the continued venting of gases to reduce pressure in the cores. I haven't heard anything about damage and leakage. Has there been something about that in the media? I must admit I've taken a break from the media for a bit. It can get a bit too depressing glued to it all the time!

Rated 6 out of 7 according to the media here.

I don't know what it means exactly.

Another source in english :

Quote:

Residents living within 30km (18 miles) of the plant have been advised to leave the area, or to stay indoors, and try to make their homes airtight.
There is a useful table with the levels of exposure :
BBC News - Q&A: Health effects of radiation exposure

CarlVercetti 03-15-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coltostallion (Post 856733)
Japan has been very open with the radiation levels. Tokyo is about four hours south of Fukushima, and while they have noticed a slight increase in radiation, it's very slight. The level in Tokyo now is reported to be 0.8184 micro-grays over a 24 hour period. Thus, if you spent 4,686.72 years in Tokyo at this level, you would accumulate the same amount of radiation as getting a single X-ray.

So the situation is still "calm" in Tokyo? Because here the media says that Tokyo it's looks like a Ghost Town and there is a "Radiation Allert" but they didn't say anything about the level.

GoNative 03-15-2011 01:09 PM

Here is a statement made by the UK governments chief Scientific Adviser. The notes were taken by the Chief Exec of the British Chamber of Commerce Japan, today:

Quote:

BCCJ Members Update on Japan’s Nuclear Power station situation

At 5pm Tokyo time (Tuesday 15th March 2011) a telephone briefing was given by Sir John Beddington the UK’s Chief Scientific adviser and Hilary Walker Deputy Director Emergency Preparedness at the Department of Health.

“Unequivocally, Tokyo will not be affected by the radiation fallout of explosions that have or may occur at the Fukushima nuclear power stations.”

The danger area is within the 30 kilometer evacuation zone and no one is recommended or will be allowed to enter this area other than those people directly involved with the emergency procedures currently being undertaken at both Fukushima 1 & 2.

Sir John went on to answer a series of questions including a comparison between Chernobyl and Japan. He said “they are entirely different, Chernobyl exploded and there was a subsequent fire with radioactive materials being launched 30,000 ft into the air. The maximum height of any Fukushima explosions would be no more than 500 metres."

“The radiation that has been released is miniscule and would have to be orders of 1,000 or more for it to be a threat to humans” This was confirmed by Hilary Walker.

He went on to say that the Japanese authorities are doing their best to keep the reactors cooled and that this is a continuing operation. All workers on site dealing with the emergency are being fully decontaminated at the end of each shift.

When asked on how reliable was the information coming from the Japanese authorities as to radiation levels he said “this cannot be fabricated and the Japanese authorities are positing all the readings on the recognized international inforamton sites which they are obliged to do. Independent verification shows that the data provided is accurate”.

In answer to a specific question from the Head of the British School in Tokyo, Sir John Beddington and Hilary Walker said that there was no reason at all for the school to be closed unless there were other issues such as power outages and transport problems.

David Fitton, First Minister at the British Embassy in Tokyo moderated the teleconference and confirmed that a transcript of the briefing will be available on the Embassy website later today.

I hope this well help to reduce some of the fearmongering going on by some of the media out there.

Inglar 03-15-2011 01:27 PM

I would like to bring condolence to the Japanese people. Be strong. The whole world is worried about you. Russia.

GoNative 03-15-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlVercetti (Post 856737)
So the situation is still "calm" in Tokyo? Because here the media says that Tokyo it's looks like a Ghost Town and there is a "Radiation Allert" but they didn't say anything about the level.

Tokyo is quieter than normal but this is mostly due to the fact there are continuing rolling power blackouts which is affecting transport significantly. Many workplaces remain closed. It has little if anything to do with radiation levels which have barely increased at all in Tokyo.

tipsygypsy 03-15-2011 01:38 PM

We just had another big earthquake. it wasn't as big as the one on 11th. but the epicenter was pretty close to Mt. fuji this time. We have another nuke plant in Shizuoka, and Mt. Fuji is the biggest volcano in Japan....

godwine 03-15-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsygypsy (Post 856753)
We just had another big earthquake. it wasn't as big as the one on 11th. but the epicenter was pretty close to Mt. fuji this time. We have another nuke plant in Shizuoka, and Mt. Fuji is the biggest volcano in Japan....

When did this happen? Any news coverage yet?

tipsygypsy 03-15-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 856754)

about 5minutes ago. and it seems nuclear plant in Shizuoka and Mt. Fuji both are ok.

but this time, even people in Osaka could feel the quake.

termogard 03-15-2011 01:55 PM

NHK english live

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 856754)

Here is a net version of NHK Live coverage