JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Big earthquake in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36530-big-earthquake-japan.html)

GoNative 04-02-2011 07:03 AM

I wonder just how incredibly low you have to go before you think it's ok to put spam on a thread about the tragedy here? :confused:

Sturm 04-02-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 859871)
I wonder just how incredibly low you have to go before you think it's ok to put spam on a thread about the tragedy here? :confused:

Sorry, you are talking about?

dogsbody70 04-02-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 859797)
Hardly overtaken us. The vast bulk of us living here haven't had too much disruption to our lives at all. Up here in Hokkaido there's been practically no difference to everyday normal life.

think yourself blessed that it has not affected you as it has thousands of others. i shudder when i recall the terrible way that tsunami swept away all in its path. the helpless screams of those who were drowned buried beneath that horrific killer----------nature gone crazy.

the fears of radiation==which knows no real barriers or containment. now the world is re-thinking its energy policy.

japan will always be at risk of more earthquakes. my heart goes out to the whole nation.

i think myself extremely fortunate to still have a home and stability.

in a recent programme about the disaster and examination of the whys and wherefores of earthquakes and trying to predict them--it seems almost impossible. is it just nature treading its forever continuum of this planet---------and heaven help those poor devils caught up in it.

it was surmised that tokyo could be a victim--as one earthquake must set up movement elsewhere.

chimera 04-02-2011 10:51 AM

This is my first post, and I am inquiring about whether it's too soon for humour. In New Zealand, there is youtube song with karaoke about their experience. Maybe someone could translate this, or write a similar song. There are many pages of comments from New Zealand people who value the song as a way to cope with pain.
------
Video:The suburb of Parklands following the Magnitude 6.3 earthquake on February 22nd, 2011.

[Twenty second of February, in the province of Canterbury
We got the shaking of our lives
We've got rivers instead of roads, it was flat now it's full of holes
And we're in silt up to our eyes
There's a fraction liquefaction, there's a fraction liquefaction yeah
Driving 'round is too much trouble, what you need is a great big shovel
There's a fraction liquefaction yeah, oh yeah
Broken sewers and broken pipes, no water we are in strife
Worst part is perching over a hole
Hundreds, hundreds of aftershocks, dirty undies and stinky socks
Just cooking tea is a rigmarole
Cars buried up to their axles, daily life is a great big hassle
There's a fraction liquefaction yeah, oh yeah.
Look for a man with a great big shovel, look for a woman who will lend a hand
When it's rainy it turns to slush, when it's sunny it turns to dust
Christchurch just needs a good steam clean
Looking forward to normality, chokkie bikkie and cup of tea
And running water in my latrine
Neighbourhood is like a ghost town, don't touch anything if it's brown
There's a fraction liquefaction yeah...]

dogsbody70 04-02-2011 11:25 AM

Disaster aid puts new face on U.S. military in Japan

RealJames 04-02-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 859891)

The article makes it seem like shit was tense until a schoolgirl was gang-bang raped by two soldiers...
That was going on long long long before that incident, and has kept going on since.

I don't want to start a while America in Japan debacle but it sickens me that such a reality is summarized that way.

GoNative 04-02-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sturm (Post 859883)
Sorry, you are talking about?

The mods removed the spam...

GoNative 04-02-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 859886)
now the world is re-thinking its energy policy.

Yep if anything I think the reactor disaster here has shown just how incredibly safe nuclear reactors actually are. Biggest earthquake to ever hit the country, the most devastating tsunami to ever hit the country, just about everything that could go wrong at the reactors did go wrong and yet how many deaths from radiation so far? Not one. How many people treated for accute radiation sickness, as far as I know not one. Amazing really.

kenmei 04-02-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 859904)
Yep if anything I think the reactor disaster here has shown just how incredibly safe nuclear reactors actually are. Biggest earthquake to ever hit the country, the most devastating tsunami to ever hit the country, just about everything that could go wrong at the reactors did go wrong and yet how many deaths from radiation so far? Not one. How many people treated for accute radiation sickness, as far as I know not one. Amazing really.

yet Germans and French are up in arms about the nuclear crisis, oh my~~~~~~~!

lol

termogard 04-03-2011 11:54 AM

several months

1 Attachment(s)
Gov't eyes 'several months' in ending release of radioactive substances

TOKYO, April 3, Kyodo

It could take ''several months'' for the release of radioactive substances from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant to be halted, a key aide to Prime Minister Naoto Kan said Sunday.

''What will follow that stage is the goal of stabilizing the plant by installing a perfect cooling mechanism for the reactors,'' Goshi Hosono told a live Fuji TV news program.

''It would be unforgivable to allow the further release of radioactive substances into the environment and cause public anxiety,'' he added.

Speaking to reporters after the program, Hosono indicated that the government will set separate time frames for halting the release of radioactive materials into the atmosphere, seawater and ground.

''Although the plant has not yet emerged from its critical situation, it has recovered some stability,'' he said.

==Kyodo

Artist image of a possible future Fukushima Daiichi sarcophagus (amateur drawing) :