JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Big earthquake in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36530-big-earthquake-japan.html)

termogard 04-05-2011 07:44 PM

contribution

Quote:

Originally Posted by protheus (Post 860318)
Huh? Did you advice people? I only saw copy-paste news since page 1 of this topic from you. Where's your contribution if you're talking about mine?

:)

At least, I can copy-paste news both about japanese earthquake and following consequences such as damaged reactors at Fukushima nuclear power plant. This is not fearmongering, just gaining information about current events, including opinions, various reports and possible solutions of urgent tasks. As Dogsbody pointed out - it's much easy to read about in dedicated thread than to search at various separate sources.

As for you, you did nothing except whining and asking senseless questions. Think a bit;)

godwine 04-05-2011 08:00 PM

Enough threads about this incident got shut down for stupid reasons. Let's not do more damage to this one guys?

protheus 04-05-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by termogard (Post 860365)
both about japanese earthquake and following consequences such as damaged reactors at Fukushima

Just point me to one news that covers the earthquake and not only Fukushima. All you blab about is Fukushima, that is what's annoying. You know that this earthquake has done more than just damage a nuclear power plant and scare people around the globe for nothing?

Just one more, where did I whine or ask senseless questions?

MMM 04-05-2011 10:11 PM

This thread is not a place for bickering. If you want to complain to each other take it to The Chat Thread or to PMs.

termogard 04-06-2011 09:55 AM

the earthquake

Quote:

Originally Posted by protheus (Post 860376)
Just point me to one news that covers the earthquake and not only Fukushima. All you blab about is Fukushima, that is what's annoying. You know that this earthquake has done more than just damage a nuclear power plant and scare people around the globe for nothing?

The earthquake is over while nuclear crisis is still going on.
If you have some news or interesting information regarding earthquake or tsunami in particular, feel free to post that info here.

JBaymore 04-06-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by termogard (Post 860456)
The earthquake is over while nuclear crisis is still going on.
If you have some news or interesting information regarding earthquake or tsunami in particular, feel free to post that info here.

The earthquake (oh yeah.,... and little tsunami) is not "over". The shaking is over........the water has mostly receeded....... but the suffering goes on for many, MANY people. Far too many people are still missing, entire towns are wiped off the face of the earth, people are living in shelters and with relatives and friends and strangers, and too many do not have the basic necessities of life yet. Relief efforts are heroic by many people but still too small for the extenmt of the devastation.

The media focus on the nuclear situation is completely overshadowing at least an equal crisis in Japan.

No... it is not "over" at all. Like the nuclear situation, it will be years before it is over. Nothing can ever bring back the dead. And so far the nuclear situation has not claimed so many lives... and likely will never do so.

best,

.................john

RealJames 04-06-2011 01:12 PM

I'm gonna shoot in the dark and assume that Termo knows that there are still lots of people suffering, then further assume that he meant their situation is being managed and controlled sufficiently well enough to not enter into crisis-status again, whereas the plant may.

I'm not quite following the news posts though, I get enough of that from tv here, but I don't know what it's like for those outside Japan.

termogard 04-06-2011 01:35 PM

managed and controlled

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 860500)
I'm gonna shoot in the dark and assume that Termo knows that there are still lots of people suffering, then further assume that he meant their situation is being managed and controlled sufficiently well enough to not enter into crisis-status again, whereas the plant may.

I'm not quite following the news posts though, I get enough of that from tv here, but I don't know what it's like for those outside Japan.

Yes, exactly.

As for 'news posts' - they contain some information concerning to urgent measures of TEPCO or japanese government :

TEPCO to inject nitrogen into No. 1 reactor to prevent explosion

TOKYO, April 6, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. on Wednesday prepared to inject nitrogen into one of the reactors at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power complex to reduce the potential risk of a hydrogen explosion, while it succeeded in stopping highly radioactive water leaking into the Pacific Ocean from the plant.

The nitrogen, an inert gas, is expected to be injected into the No. 1 reactor's containment vessel, a process that could take several days. Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the government's nuclear agency, denied during a morning press conference that there is an ''immediate danger'' of explosion.

Kyodo News

kouichisan 04-06-2011 01:42 PM

Tsunami: British Search & Rescue - CHANNEL 5 DOCUMENTARY

British rescuers come to the aid of the Japanese people.

Channel 5 - 45 Minute Documentary showing the work of the Rescuer's in Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iDA1q0ioZA

termogard 04-07-2011 12:55 AM

consequences of the accident

Quote:

Within two years, the U.N. Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation will compile a report on such key issues as environmental impact and health risks of the accident, Wolfgang Weiss, chair of the committee, said at a press conference.

The committee will also check the health of workers, who are currently fighting to solve the crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant and are exposed to high levels of radiation, Weiss said.

According to Weiss, details about the plan are currently being worked out and negotiations with the Japanese government on the issue have already started.

He also said that off-site consequences of the accident in Fukushima Prefecture can be rated somewhere between the 1986 nuclear accident in Chernobyl and the 1979 Three Mile Island accident.

''It is not as dramatic as Chernobyl, but it is certainly much much more serious than in Three Mile Island,'' he said, adding that it is very difficult to foresee the consequences of the Fukushima accident since the crisis is still ongoing.
Kyodo News : U.N. to study health effects of Fukushima nuclear accident

Quote:

To make room to store the highly radioactive water that is hampering the plant's restoration work, TEPCO continued to dump into the sea massive amounts of low-level contaminated water from inside a nuclear waste disposal facility at the site as well as contaminated groundwater found from around the Nos. 5 and 6 unit buildings.

TEPCO is aiming to dispose of a total of about 10,000 tons of low-level contaminated water into the sea by this weekend, a move which has sparked concern among neighboring countries and strong protests from the domestic fishing industry.

After opening up the disposal facility, which can accommodate 30,000 tons of liquid, some repair work is expected to take place for about a week to ensure that the facility can retain highly radioactive water safely without fear of the stored liquid leaking outside.

The plant's power grid and most of the emergency diesel generators were knocked out by the magnitude 9.0 earthquake and ensuing tsunami on March 11, resulting in the loss of many of the reactors' key cooling functions, partial melting of reactor cores and hydrogen explosions.

According to estimates by TEPCO announced Wednesday, 25 percent of the nuclear fuel rods have been damaged at the No. 3 reactor. The company earlier said that 70 percent of the No. 1 reactor's fuel rods and 30 percent of the No. 2 reactor's fuel rods have been damaged.
Kyodo News