JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
fatalbert130 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Now,

For the water front of my town, an evacuation order was announced by a city hall.

A tsunami of 3m came to Atami.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-11-2011, 07:37 AM

The prayers of your friends in America are with our Japanese allies at this terrible time. Hopefully the President will authorize the U.S. Military in Japan to come to your aide at once.

We just got the Hawaii alert now....Hawaii under a threat warning for landfall at 3am. We here in Washington state are waiting ourselves for what may come. Early estimates say first landfall in Seattle at 0851am.

God help Japan and the rest of the Pacific.

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-11-2011, 07:38 AM

The tsunamis began hitting within minutes of the quake occuring, I can't imagine that people had time to get away even if they were prepared.

Urayasu in Chiba (where Tokyo Disney Resort is located) was hit by a Tsunami, but it appears to have been small, and only flooded the streets.

So far the damage is incredible,
(#14 (permalink))
Old
jurianbai (Offline)
Aselian

03-11-2011, 07:43 AM

I'm watching LIVE now, there is a footage of official still inside the building while the building shaking. 8.7 and still the building stands strong, good test for Japanese anti-earthquake construction.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-11-2011, 07:45 AM

I am watching live and reading the news on Internet. They are saying 8.4 or 8.9 magnitude. This is huge beyond description, and may be one of the biggest on historical record.

I was in the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995, and I believe that was a 7.2 M earthquake that rocked a heavily populated area, and ended up with nearly 6000 deaths total. I hope to the greater powers we don't see that kind of death toll in this one.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

03-11-2011, 07:45 AM

Plenty of building have collapsed though and plenty have just been completely washed away in the tsunamis. This is incredibly devastating. I expect the death toll will be very high, especially in Sendai. They've had a 10m tsunami hit them head on. Nowhere near enough time for everyone to evacuate.

Last edited by GoNative : 03-11-2011 at 07:49 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

03-11-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannavy85 View Post
God help Japan and the rest of the Pacific.
God has nothing to do with it. And the Japanese don't believe in that crap anyway. Send your best wishes but how about we keep the god bs out of it!
(#18 (permalink))
Old
jurianbai (Offline)
Aselian

03-11-2011, 07:51 AM

it's a tsunami warning now for the pacific. i think this is one of the moment where we will witness sistematic major evacuation in real.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

03-11-2011, 08:14 AM

The Cosmo oil refinery in Chiba is burning, and the fire is incredible, they'll never be able to put it out, it's going to be a total loss.

The prime minister just spoke on TV; the government will get another chance to show how incompetent it is.

I's going to be days before the extent of the damage is known, I don't even want to think about it.

Another strong aftershock is hitting, more tsunamis are expected,
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
God has nothing to do with it. And the Japanese don't believe in that crap anyway. Send your best wishes but how about we keep the god bs out of it!
No need to be like that. Let each of us express wishes of hope how we feel comfortable.

I was in the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995, and that was a 7.2 mag. This is looking like 8.4 to 8.9. I don't know the math, but that is at least 30 times larger, maybe 50 times. That is unthinkable to me. The tsunamis are devastating the coastal areas. I am watching ships being tossed over, in real time. I assume there are people aboard.