LinkBack Thread Tools
(#421 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post nuclear reactions - 03-14-2011, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
There is virtually no chance now of a massive release of radioactive material like what was seen in Chernobyl. In fact due to the far superior constructions codes in Japan compared to the Chernobyl reactor there never really was that risk.
The difference between RBMK adn PWR was discussed earlier on this forum. But even in "far superior design by comparison to Soviet one", the partially-melted core in vessel containment of PWR may cause serious damage to health and environment.

Three Mile Island accident
(#422 (permalink))
Old
KuwaiiAva (Offline)
New to JF

03-14-2011, 03:28 AM

Japan you will get out of this stronger and better. Stay strong. My prayers are with everyone. It was shock hearing about the earthquake.

Best wishes from Columbus, OHIO
(#423 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-14-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
The difference between RBMK adn PWR was discussed earlier on this forum. But even in "far superior design by comparison to Soviet one", the partially-melted core in vessel containment of PWR may cause serious damage to health and environment.

Three Mile Island accident
Only if there is a leak of the contaminated sea water/boron coolant mix. Which doesn't appear likely at all at this stage. It's good to be aware of risks and all and it is still a serious situation but from what I can tell here they have managed it well and any major crisis has been averted. The safety measures in place appear to have worked well. Every hour that goes by means the cores continue to cool and the likelihood of anything worse happening continues to decrease.
(#424 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-14-2011, 03:39 AM

This is an incredible, and I mean INCREDIBLE video that really gives you the experience of a tsunami in real time.

It is six minutes long, and I recommend watching it all with no fast forward. Mind blowing.

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
(#425 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-14-2011, 04:00 AM

There does appear to have been a hydrogen explosion at the #3 reactor similar to the one at the #1 reactor. I don't believe there has been any damage to the containment vessels though so no significant release of radioactive materials. They had warned that an explosion was likely. The explosion occurs outside of the containment vessels from release of gases to reduce pressure.
(#426 (permalink))
Old
Chumani (Offline)
New to JF

03-14-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
This is an incredible, and I mean INCREDIBLE video that really gives you the experience of a tsunami in real time.

It is six minutes long, and I recommend watching it all with no fast forward. Mind blowing.

Mind blowing is the the thought here too.
The water more or less drag cars, house...
I really hope there do not get any worse right now...
I look at CNN live and and hope to donate more money for those who still fight, those who is need ...
(#427 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-14-2011, 05:07 AM

Self defensive force has saved 9,700 lives so far. Go self defensive force! You guys are the real hero of Japan!

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#428 (permalink))
Old
Anjin (Offline)
JF Regular

03-14-2011, 05:25 AM

I haven't been reading this thread for a while nor watching the news but I was looking at a few British news websites and found this,

Super earthquake No2 set to hit Japan | The Sun |News

"Super earthquake
No2 alert in Japan

SHATTERED Japan is braced for a fresh quake nightmare - with a mega aftershock likely to hit at any moment.
The alert was issued as millions who survived the tsunami that devastated the hi-tech superpower spent a third day without food and water - let alone electricity.

Japan's world-renowned centre for earthquake prediction said there was a seven-in-ten chance of a tremor with a magnitude of seven or more hitting "within the next three days"."
(#429 (permalink))
Old
AlexisSalas (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to AlexisSalas
03-14-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

OMG!! The water just talking the houses off the floor was devastating. I need to help but dont know how :$ alredy donated money but i dont think thats enough i hope you guys are ok !! Best wishes and regards to everyone..

Rosetta Stone japanese programs seems to not helped me much...Need help with my japanese, looking for help plz!!
(#430 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-14-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisSalas View Post
OMG!! The water just talking the houses off the floor was devastating. I need to help but dont know how :$ alredy donated money but i dont think thats enough i hope you guys are ok !! Best wishes and regards to everyone..
Bank of Japan spent 7,000,000,000,000JPY (approximately 85,370,000,000USD) just to stabilize the market. But they suddenly realized that wasn't enough. They spent extra 8,000,000,000,000JPY. That's too much for one day. That's too much for just to stabilize the market. We can't spend money only for stabilizing the market. World please cooperate.

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life