LinkBack Thread Tools
(#901 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post reactor's proximity - 04-08-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Just one thing though termograd I think you're missing a decimal place. From what I saw they got up to just over 11 microsieverts/hr not over 100.

Ah just rewatched and yes it got up to 112 but that was very close to the reactor. To be expected I guess. No one will be living close to the reactors for a long time I'd say!
Did you read comments below footage? Almost everyone asks about abandoned animals.....
(#902 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-08-2011, 05:20 AM

This is interesting

Quote:
The level of natural background radiation varies depending on location, and in some areas the level is significantly higher than average.[5] Such areas include Ramsar in Iran, Guarapari in Brazil, Kerala in India,[6] the northern Flinders Ranges in Australia[7] and Yangjiang in China.[8] In Ramsar a peak yearly dose of 260 mSv has been reported (compared with 0.06 mSv of a chest radiograph or up to 20 mSv of a CT scan).[9] The highest levels of natural background radiation recorded in the world is from areas around Ramsar, particularly at Talesh-Mahalleh which is a very high background radiation area (VHBRA) having an effective dose equivalent several times in excess of ICRP-recommended radiation dose limits for radiation workers and up to 200 times greater than normal background levels. Most of the radiation in the area is due to dissolved radium-226 in water of hot springs along with smaller amounts of uranium and thorium due to travertine deposits. There are more than nine hot springs in the area with different concentrations of radioisotopes, and these are used as spas by locals and tourists.[10] This high level of radiation does not seem to have caused ill effects on the residents of the area and even possibly has made them slightly more radioresistant, which is puzzling and has been called "radiation paradox".
The radiation levels these guys recorded are obviously higher than any background radiation anywhere and if you were to stay there for extended periods it would undoubtedly cause significant health problems. That they spend some time at over 100 millisieverts/hr is pretty crazy. I wouldn't want to do that! Still don't believe they would have even had mild symptons of radiation exposure but I wouldn't have done what they did!
(#903 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post serious radiation - 04-08-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmins View Post
A couple of questions here.
1. If the whole Fukushima power plant were hoisted into space and sent off somewhere towards the sun would there still be any serious radiation in the area where it used to be?
2. If so, how long would it take to return to tolerable levels?

Tricky questions I know. Any ideas?
It depends of the levels of radiation in already contaminated soil, water, facilites etc of exclusion zone. It also depends of a sort of radionuclides.

The half-life of Iodine-131 is 8, 0197 days.
The half-life of Cesium-137 is 30,17 years
The half-life of Plutonium-239 is 24,200 years
(#904 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post radiation exposure - 04-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
That they spend some time at over 100 millisieverts/hr is pretty crazy. I wouldn't want to do that! Still don't believe they would have even had mild symptons of radiation exposure but I wouldn't have done what they did!
I agree, but those brave and desperate japanese stalkers showed us a true situation inside an exclusion zone.

So, it's about ~ 100 millisievert / hr at a distance of 1, 5 km from a reactor according to footage. What about a situation with radiation exposure nearby damaged reactors, I wonder?

Last edited by termogard : 04-08-2011 at 05:50 AM. Reason: adding link
(#905 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post you tube comments - 04-08-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:

videonewscom | 06.04.2011

Fukushima, Japan - The Japanese government has issued the evacuation order on March 12 for the residents living within the 20 kilometer radius of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.

Since then, residents have left their homes, and the "no man land" has been out of touch with the rest of the world.

A Japanese journalist, Tetsuo Jimbo, ventured through the evacuation zone last Sunday, and filed the following video report.

He says that, inside the evacuation zone, homes,building, roads and bridges, which were torn down by Tsunami, are left completely untouched, and the herd of cattle and pet dogs, left behind by the owners, wonders around the town while the radiation level remains far beyond legal limits.
Rapid calculation

Quote:
This is journalism.

kowalskipuntozero 19 hours 57

by my fast calculation, if you take 2.4 mS as a annual radiation dose allowed for a human you reach this value:

at 20 km ( 1,25uS/h ) in 80 days

at 17 km ( 2.5 uS/h ) in 40 days

at 15 km ( 6.5 uS/h ) in 15 days

at 8.5 km ( 5 uS/h ) in 20 days

at 3 km ( 3.64 uS/h ) in 28 days

at 1.5 km ( 109 uS/h ) in 22 hours

this is way much bad that TEPCO and Japan government are trying to show.
Source
(#906 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
04-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Please don't triple post. Use edit at least...

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#907 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-08-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
I agree, but those brave and desperate japanese stalkers showed us a true situation inside an exclusion zone.

So, it's about ~ 100 millisievert / hr at a distance of 1, 5 km from a reactor according to footage. What about a situation with radiation exposure nearby damaged reactors, I wonder?
Those graphs I showed earlier show the levels right at the reactors is still up around at least 700 millisieverts. Much lower though at the gates.
(#908 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post radioactive particles - 04-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Radioactive particles found in rainwater across S. Korea

SEOUL, April 8, Kyodo

Traces of radioactive particles have been detected in rainwater across South Korea following the release of contaminants from a stricken nuclear power plant in Japan, but the levels are too small to pose any risks to humans or the environment, according to the country's nuclear safety agency.

The Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety said detailed analysis of rainwater Thursday showed traces of iodine-131 in 11 of the 12 detection centers nationwide, with cesium-134 picked up in five locations and cesium-137 in four.

The highest levels of iodine-131, celsium-134 and celsium-137 in rainwater were all detected at the center closest to Japan, on Jeju Island off South Korea's southern coast.

The concentration levels are all far too low to pose any health risks even if a person were to drink 2 liters of such rainwater every day for a year, KINS officials said, according to Yonhap News Agency.

Kyodo news
(#909 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Just saw this on NHK World, which confuse me. They are saying the level of radiation around Fukushima has no health concern, and that traces of radiation from around the world is still MUCH lower than that of Chernobyl. That said, they are saying that this incident was worse than Three Mile, if thats the case, why was Three Mile such a big deal then????

NHK WORLD English

UN expert: Fukushima worse than Three Mile Island

A senior UN scientific official says the ongoing problems at the Fukushima nuclear plant are much more serious than the Three Mile Island case in the US in 1979.

The chairman of the UN Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation, Wolfgang Weiss, spoke at a news conference in Vienna on Wednesday.

He said the Fukushima case is less serious than the accident at the Chernobyl plant in the former Soviet Union in 1986.

Weiss said his organization has seen traces of iodine in the air all over the world but they are much lower than traces seen at similar distances after Chernobyl.

The Japanese government is rating the Fukushima accident a "level 5" on the international scale of 7 that measures nuclear accidents. The Three Mile Island is ranked a level 5 and Chernobyl a level 7.

But Weiss said although detected radiation levels around the Fukushima plant are higher than normal, they are not expected to have major impact on people's health.

The UN committee is to send its experts to Japan to see the effects of radiation from the Fukushima plant, after consulting with the Japanese government.

Friday, April 08, 2011 06:15 +0900 (JST)
(#910 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-08-2011, 05:54 PM

2ch JF branch thread

*'``・* 。
        |     `*。
       ,。∩      *    もうどうにでもな~れ
      + (´・ω・`) *。+゚
      `*。 ヽ、  つ *゚*
       `・+。*・' ゚⊃ +゚