Old
globetrotter36 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to globetrotter36
03-17-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Look who's playing the race card?

If you just stop and think... it's a very rational point being made.

In what way was I playing the race card? When people make uniformed statements like both you and suki have which are tantamount to 'who cares they are rich enough to sort it out themselves' it would seem you both have an axe to grind for reasons best known to yourselves. As I asked before but you either ignored or didn't read was how would either of you really know Japan's financial status since as far as I know you are no way involved with the treasury or whatever it's equivalent is? There was no rational point in suki's point (I take it you were referring to 'go there and help clean up the mess'), which is both illogical and irrational which should be obvious.

Ps: Suki Please learn to understand what I said instead of indirectly accusing me of calling you a racist.

Last edited by globetrotter36 : 03-18-2011 at 12:01 AM.
(#202 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-18-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter36 View Post
In what way was I playing the race card? When people make uniformed statements like both you and suki have which are tantamount to 'who cares they are rich enough to sort it out themselves' it would seem you both have an axe to grind for reasons best known to yourselves. As I asked before but you either ignored or didn't read was how would either of you really know Japan's financial status since as far as I know you are no way involved with the treasury or whatever it's equivalent is? There was no rational point in suki's point (I take it you were referring to 'go there and help clean up the mess), which is both illogical and irrational which should be obvious.
An axe to grind? With Japan?

I really don't consider myself loyal to any country but if I were to pick a country that I felt an emotional connection to, Japan would be one of the few I pick.

I have an axe to grind with how the world works in other ways. The way in which developed countries (The West in particular) f*ck over undeveloped or developing countries etc. and I will admit that sentiment is partly the reason why I feel I have to make this point. But that is a whole other thread I think.

I'm purely being rational and I believe Suki's point was not that you should actually go there and help.. but similar to mine that we should provide Japan with the assistance it NEEDS.

As for Japan's economic situation, I'm no expert I admit. But I'm not completely ignorant either. The post before this explains my opinion with regard to that situation.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 03-18-2011 at 12:10 AM.
(#203 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-18-2011, 12:10 AM

You say "Japan" and "Japanese government" has money, and they do.

However the fisherman who lost his house, his boat, and his family does not.

The daughter that lost her home, her school, and half her classmates does not.

The mother that felt her toddler's fingers slip from her fingers as they were separated by the tsunami does not.

I am not talking about giving money to the Japanese government. I am talking about giving money to the international aid and relief workers that are pouring into Japan AS WE SPEAK while we are here so smugly behind our computer screens.

Neither you or Suki addressed the fundamental issue. Yes Japan has money, but do they have what it takes to save their people RIGHT NOW? I gave my answer, and it's the same answer many Japanese living in Japan would give you. Obviously, NO! It's a bureaucratic system, and as I am seeing on the news every hour, doesn't work with the sense of speed needed to save the region.

Part of it is paying it forward. That means I help you now, knowing that when I need help, it will come back around. Japan helped New Zealand when it was struck by an earthquake a few weeks ago. What did New Zealand do? Turn around and help them back. That's good diplomacy and simply being a good neighbor.

No one is forcing either of you to participate in that process, but to call it irrational is absurd.
(#204 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-18-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You say "Japan" and "Japanese government" has money, and they do.

However the fisherman who lost his house, his boat, and his family does not.

The daughter that lost her home, her school, and half her classmates does not.

The mother that felt her toddler's fingers slip from her fingers as they were separated by the tsunami does not.

I am not talking about giving money to the Japanese government. I am talking about giving money to the international aid and relief workers that are pouring into Japan AS WE SPEAK while we are here so smugly behind our computer screens.

Neither you or Suki addressed the fundamental issue. Yes Japan has money, but do they have what it takes to save their people RIGHT NOW? I gave my answer, and it's the same answer many Japanese living in Japan would give you. Obviously, NO! It's a bureaucratic system, and as I am seeing on the news every hour, doesn't work with the sense of speed needed to save the region.

Part of it is paying it forward. That means I help you now, knowing that when I need help, it will come back around. Japan helped New Zealand when it was struck by an earthquake a few weeks ago. What did New Zealand do? Turn around and help them back. That's good diplomacy and simply being a good neighbor.

No one is forcing either of you to participate in that process, but to call it irrational is absurd.
New Zealand sent search and rescue teams, so did China, Korea, USA, Australia and Britain etc. I'm not against that for the hundredth f*cking time.

And I'm not really referring to donations at a state level but I suppose in the bigger picture my argument applies too (though political realities get in the way).

lol.. IF the Japanese government cannot make money available immediately then fine... send your own money.

Other governments around the world can and do all the time and I'm assuming of course that the Japanese government can too.

Oh.. I'm not calling it irrational. I'm calling my point rational.

Oh.. as for the people being directly affected by the disaster not having money? It's irrelevant in a RELIEF operation.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 03-18-2011 at 12:31 AM.
(#205 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post international response to earthquake in Japan - 03-18-2011, 02:05 AM

Following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, Japan received messages of condolence and offers of assistance from a range of international leaders. According to Japan's foreign ministry, 113 countries and 24 international organizations had offered assistance to Japan. This article is a list of charitable and humanitarian responses to the disaster from governments and non-governmental organizations.

Humanitarian response to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami
(#206 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-18-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
Following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, Japan received messages of condolence and offers of assistance from a range of international leaders. According to Japan's foreign ministry, 113 countries and 24 international organizations had offered assistance to Japan. This article is a list of charitable and humanitarian responses to the disaster from governments and non-governmental organizations.

Humanitarian response to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami
Cool.. what's your point?
(#207 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile the point - 03-18-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Cool.. what's your point?
I think they were driven by human compassion rather than cold rational thoughts.
(#208 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-18-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
I think they were driven by human compassion rather than cold rational thoughts.
First, I don't think they are diametrically opposed concepts.

You can be rational AND driven by human compassion (And I would argue that's what I am)

Second of all.. not really addressing the topic here. I'm talking about our individual donations going to help Japan which is a rich country.

Finally... How do you know rationale didn't play a part? Most countries sent assistance in the form of rescue teams and materials. Not financial assistance.

As I have said over and over.. I am not opposed to this kind of assistance

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 03-18-2011 at 03:22 AM.
(#209 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post rationale form - 03-18-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Finally... How do you know rationale didn't play a part? Most countries sent assistance in the form of rescue teams and materials. Not financial assistance.
Yes, you are right.
(#210 (permalink))
Old
lizlered (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2011, 03:40 AM

new poster here...hi everybody!

My thoughts on the crisis at hand

Purely a case of philanthropics...

Treat others they way you would like to be treated.

Ronin, clearly you want to be understood and want attention, right?

Of course you have your mind set, so why don't you just donate your money to Haiti causes and stop annoying people not to give monetary contributions to Japan.

Simple enough.