LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-15-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
It doesn't matter if the country is wealthier than others, people are suffering. Your hard earned cash helps the relief effort when you donate to a charity such as the Red Cross. I donated money to the US and their rich.
I'm saying it does matter obviously.

If the country is either a) developed or b) has a vibrant economy (China, India, Russia) then it doesn't deserve charitable assistance. It should pay for it on it's own.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

Give money to Haiti, not Japan. - 03-15-2011, 01:22 AM

I've decided to delete the emotional appeal because the merits of my argument are purely rational, that and I'm sick of my comments being misinterpreted as being "heartless" or "sick"

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 03-16-2011 at 06:26 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
jurianbai (Offline)
Aselian

03-15-2011, 02:03 AM

i am surely will donate to all my rich friends in Japan despite that troll with his agenda said. I encourage all individual to donate since helping Japan also mean helping yourself in macro economy.

this is japanforum and I am can't believe mr.moderator who usually very strick in no-human-risk topic, now become useless in preventing this troll spamming the thread with his campaign again and again.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-15-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurianbai View Post
i am surely will donate to all my rich friends in Japan despite that troll with his agenda said. I encourage all individual to donate since helping Japan also mean helping yourself in macro economy.

this is japanforum and I am can't believe mr.moderator who usually very strick in no-human-risk topic, now become useless in preventing this troll spamming the thread with his campaign again and again.
He hasn't broken any rules. I moved all of his posts to the new thread he started.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-15-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurianbai View Post

Helping Japan means helping yourself in a macro economy? Whoah.. you got a lot of explaining to do.

Please explain to me how this is so. [Moved here -MMM]

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 03-15-2011 at 02:53 AM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

03-15-2011, 03:21 AM

For some reason, I just feel that if I were to take OP's logic, it would be more beneficial in the long run to help Japan anyway because they hold more weight in the world. After all, neither country is important to you in either way, right? It's just a natural disaster, and shit happens, right? So by your logic, why should we waste resources on a third world country when we can help revive one of the most prominent first world countries?

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#27 (permalink))
Old
OzukakiBurasuki (Offline)
JF Regular

03-15-2011, 03:49 AM

I'm starting to wonder if ronin ever took a course in macroeconomics. :/

It would be a lot more efficient to help a country such as Japan through donating to charity when they are able to pay back our charity in the future with future technologies than to a country such as Haiti that will only survive off the money until it is unable to any longer and plea us for more instead of working for its own. Our GDP would be pleased with Japan over Haiti any day.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

03-15-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Japan is the world's third richest country. I don't mean to sound heartless because I'm sorry for the tragedy. But my charity will be going elsewhere to people who needed it before the Earthquake (as it always does).

It's ironic giving charity to a country that is so rich and probably quite thouroughly insured.

It's like giving money to Charlie Sheen if his house blew up.

-------------

FIRST POST REPOSTED:

As a citizen of this Earth I implore that you not waste your money on Japan or New Zealand.

Earthquakes and tsunami are horrible occurences and it is not without sympathy that I make this thread.

But there are far more needy parts of the world than these two and as a New Zealand citizen I believe that our government should not be seeking financial aid from NGO's as we are a developed country that can take care of the costs on our own.

I think the same for Japan. Japan is the third largest economy in the world. You shouldn't be paying the money that you work hard for, to support people that live in a country in which the financial problems they face can be overcome.

NGO's need to either invoice these state governments or stay out if they refuse to pay.

Of course I'm not against material assistance or the offer of expertise, so if you can help in Japan as an engineer or a rescue worker then more power to you. But when it comes to money, Japan and New Zealand are at the top of the world's pecking order being both developed states and they don't need it.
I would agree with you except for the fact that the lion's share of the aid being sent to Haiti never finds it's way to the poorer Haitian people, it ends up in the pockets of the corrupt "government" and it's friends. Take a look at Haiti today and see where the billions in aid so far collected have been spent. There are countless tents and new shacks, but no real repairs to infrastructure or small businesses.

Hurricane Katrina is a good example of overhead waste and political corruption, enough aid money was spent to buy each and every family displaced a $180,000 home and a new car to boot, but how much did families get? A few thousand dollars in spending money and a crappy $8000 trailer.

The UN is administering the aid mission to Haiti, and as usual is spending a great deal on overhead, but very little in substance elsewhere. Corruption is also rampant in the UN, and I should know, I have been on two missions with the UN in the past.

Japan has sent large amounts of money to aid Haiti, Thailand, Chile, and even New Zealand. My friends and I have scraped together nearly 1 million yen to donate, and I know that the aid organization will not automatically take 40% of that to put into their pockets, and I also know that it won't be spent on cleaning contracts to companies friendly to the local governments, I can trust that it will go to actually help those who need it.

This disaster will cause a reduction of about 10% to Japan's GDP this year, which affects the stock markets, currency markets, and commodity markets, which means that it affects every person living in every industrialized country, and this trickles down to an even stronger negative effect on developing countries.

Every dollar spent to help Japan will be of greater benefit to the world than every $100 sent to Haiti.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-15-2011, 04:27 AM

I was just watching an interview with the head of the American Red Cross, and they are able to get 91% of every dollar donated on the ground in Japan. This is very impressive considering some supposed "charitable organizations" get less than 10% of their donations actually to help people affected.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

03-15-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Helping Japan means helping yourself in a macro economy? Whoah.. you got a lot of explaining to do.

Please explain to me how this is so. [Moved here -MMM]

It's utter common sense. Anyone with a 9th grade education could figure it out in 10 minutes.

What is Haiti's annual GDP? And how much of that is spent around the world? How much does Haiti spend each year in foreign aid? How many countries around the world have tens/hundreds of thousands of people employed selling Haitian products?

Now change the country to Japan and do the math.

Did you actually attend university? Even McDonald's "Hamburger University" teaches rudimentary economics. Simply put, I am calling you and this thread stupid, and the mods should delete it before it makes you look even more stupid than you already appear to be.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 03-15-2011 at 04:35 AM.