JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Give money to Haiti, not Japan. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36600-give-money-haiti-not-japan.html)

Ronin4hire 03-14-2011 09:15 PM

Japan is the world's third richest country. I don't mean to sound heartless because I'm sorry for the tragedy. But my charity will be going elsewhere to people who needed it before the Earthquake (as it always does).

It's ironic giving charity to a country that is so rich and probably quite thouroughly insured.

It's like giving money to Charlie Sheen if his house blew up.

I've decided to delete the emotional appeal because the merits of my argument are purely rational, that and I'm sick of my comments being misinterpreted as being "heartless" or "sick"

kouichisan 03-14-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin4hire (Post 856431)
Japan is the world's third richest country. I don't mean to sound heartless because I'm sorry for the tragedy. But my charity will be going elsewhere to people who needed it before the Earthquake (as it always does).

It's ironic giving charity to a country that is so rich and probably quite thouroughly insured.

It's like giving money to Charlie Sheen if his house blew up.

This thread is running concurrently with another website, a person said something similar to what you said. I understand what you mean.

Japan has massive debt, far more as a % of GDP than even us. They have no money. If their economy collapses it will affect us all. Donate through a charity and they'll redistribute that money where it's needed. You won't be giving money to Japan, you'll be giving money that will be used to help its people.

The government does not fund charities, they are funded by ordinary people like you and I. They need financing to do their job, that's a reality.

Yeah it would be better to physically go out there and help them out, but if you see the scale of destruction along the coast of the country and with nearly 10,000 people missing. There is only so much the government can do with it's own man power. This is where foreign help is needed, charities offer additional manpower needed to facilitate the number of people left homeless. Even if some may eventually find safety, there are many parts that are cut off. Aid agencies are able to deal with the humanitarian side (food, medical aid, and shelter) while the government carries out search and rescue. These first few days are critical for the survivors of the disaster.

Thanks.

On another note, WolfMom recommended the following website, it suggests very good ways that people can help.

Japan earthquake: How you can help - Time Out Tokyo

Credit to @WolfMom.

Ronin4hire 03-14-2011 10:04 PM

Wait... so we have to bail Japan out of it's debt because a disaster hit?

No thanks. Japan can borrow to finance it's relief effort. There really is no excuse for Japan to be recieving charity.

If the Japanese economy suffers for it then what are the consequences? It loses a place in the richest country rankings to become fourth behind Germany? The economy won't collapse because of this. It will take a hit sure but not collapse.

I'm sorry but that's not an emergency to me.

If you want to help people suffering, help people that actually need it urgently in Africa or other parts of Asia.

kouichisan 03-14-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin4hire (Post 856437)
Wait... so we have to bail Japan out of it's debt because a disaster hit?

No thanks. Japan can borrow to finance it's relief effort. There really is no excuse for Japan to be recieving charity.

If the Japanese economy suffers for it then what are the consequences? It loses a place in the richest country rankings to become fourth behind Germany? The economy won't collapse because of this. It will take a hit sure but not collapse.

I'm sorry but that's not an emergency to me.

If you want to help people suffering, help people that actually need it urgently in Africa or other parts of Asia.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter about who the government is, or what country it is. It's humanitarian effort to help VICTIMS of natural disasters anywhere in the world. Charities don't operate often in countries like this because most of the time it isn't so serious and the government has the ability to resolve it themselves.

If it was a minor earthquake then I wouldn't bother encouraging people, but the fact is an entire city has been wiped out in a matter of minutes, and there are THOUSANDS of people missing. That is a 'disaster', if that isn't then what is?. It is about helping PEOPLE recover not giving to the government.

Yeah there are other countries that do deserve an equal amount of effort, nobody is saying people shouldnt give to them either. The Red Cross operates most of the time in those areas anyway, I even donated to the Red Cross operating in Libya myself at the same time I donated to Japan. I'm sure other people would do the same.

Everyone has the freedom to choose where their donation goes, those charity websites even give people the choice on what projects their money will go toward.

Don't turn a humanitarian discussion into a political one, thank you.

MMM 03-14-2011 10:28 PM

If you are not interested in helping the people who have lost their homes, families, businesses, literally everything, Ronin, then don't. But also please don't get in the way of those sharing information on how to help.

Thank you.

Ronin4hire 03-14-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kouichisan (Post 856439)
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter about who the government is, or what country it is. It's humanitarian effort to help VICTIMS of natural disasters anywhere in the world. Charities don't operate often in countries like this because most of the time it isn't so serious and the government has the ability to resolve it themselves.

If it was a minor earthquake then I wouldn't bother encouraging people, but the fact is an entire city has been wiped out in a matter of minutes, and there are THOUSANDS of people missing. That is a 'disaster', if that isn't then what is?. It is about helping PEOPLE recover not giving to the government.

Yeah there are other countries that do deserve an equal amount of effort, nobody is saying people shouldnt give to them either. The Red Cross operates most of the time in those areas anyway, I even donated to the Red Cross operating in Libya myself at the same time I donated to Japan. I'm sure other people would do the same.

Everyone has the freedom to choose where their donation goes, those charity websites even give people the choice on what projects their money will go toward.

Don't turn a humanitarian discussion into a political one, thank you.

But it IS a political one and it DOES matter which country the disaster was in as obviously different places have different resources available to them.

The Japanese government have the ability, the economy and the means to help their citizens out WITHOUT charity.

These people may have lost their homes but they live in a rich country which no doubt has the means to build new ones.

Ronin4hire 03-14-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 856440)
If you are not interested in helping the people who have lost their homes, families, businesses, literally everything, Ronin, then don't. But also please don't get in the way of those sharing information on how to help.

Thank you.

I'm sorry that in your black and white world I come accross as heartless to you. If I felt that my help was needed in that part of the world then no doubt I would. By my help isn't.

They have everything they need in Japan to get through this. The only thing that perhaps Japan needs from other countries is more bodies on the ground regarding search and rescue and to contain the nuclear disaster, but in terms of monetary support, they don't need it.

kouichisan 03-14-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin4hire (Post 856445)
But it IS a political one and it DOES matter which country the disaster was in as obviously different places have different resources available to them.

The Japanese government have the ability, the economy and the means to help their citizens out WITHOUT charity.

These people may have lost their homes but they live in a rich country which no doubt has the means to build new ones.

It's a developed country and they may get houses rebuilt for them, but how long will that be? houses aren't built in a month, the regeneration project will still take a while. Even if they are given temporary relocation, it won't be so quick before they do that. That leaves those survivors still in a bad position.

The government and charities would provide temporary places they can stay, like tents and provide food for them (until they can be relocated) of course that costs money for the charities. It takes time, these people affected in the coast were ordinary Fishermen, do you think all of them bought life insurance?. And you have said so yourself, what they need is manpower, these charities are well organised, and have the resources to provide temporary medical care until they can be transferred to hospitals. This saves lives.

The aid being provided by these charities will be short term. Even if there is money left over, that is better, they would be able to use that on other projects perhaps even in the areas you mentioned.

The charities would provide Temporary Short-Term assistance, and it does make a difference. Anyway if whichever country you are in was affected like this, you would want foreign help too. Especially if your government was struggling to deal with it.

Watch this
BBC News - Hunt for tsunami survivors continues

Ronin4hire 03-14-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kouichisan (Post 856449)
It's a developed country and they may get houses rebuilt for them, but how long will that be? houses aren't built in a month, the regeneration project will still take a while. Even if they are given temporary relocation, it won't be so quick before they do that. That leaves those survivors still in a bad position.

The government and charities would provide temporary places they can stay, like tents and provide food for them (until they can be relocated) of course that costs money for the charities. It takes time, these people affected in the coast were ordinary Fishermen, do you think all of them bought life insurance?. And you have said so yourself, what they need is manpower, these charities are well organised, and have the resources to provide temporary medical care until they can be transferred to hospitals. This saves lives.

The aid being provided by these charities will be short term. Even if there is money left over, that is better, they would be able to use that on other projects perhaps even in the areas you mentioned.

The charities would provide Temporary Short-Term assistance, and it does make a difference. Anyway if whichever country you are in was affected like this, you would want foreign help too. Especially if your government was struggling to deal with it.

That's great. But like I said.. the Japanese government are more than capable of footing the bill for assistance that is NOT given by other states.

I have no problem with the New Zealand government helping out the Japanese government (which is what has happened) but I do have a problem with me as a civilian, having to foot the bill to provide temp relief for a government which is more than capable of doing it.

Also.. I had a similar attitude towards the recent disaster in my own country. I volunteered at a shelter for displaced tourists that had fled to my city, but I wasn't going to donate my OWN money to relief agencies when the New Zealand government is more than capable of providing that relief.

kouichisan 03-14-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin4hire (Post 856451)
That's great. But like I said.. the Japanese government are more than capable of footing the bill for assistance that is NOT given by other states.

I have no problem with the New Zealand government helping out the Japanese government (which is what has happened) but I do have a problem with me as a civilian, having to foot the bill to provide temp relief for a government which is more than capable of doing it.

If you were a doctor and saw a guy dying on the street, would you just leave him there because he has medical insurance, so he should wait 10 more mins for an Ambulance do it for him and possibly die? or would you go out of your own way immediately to help him anyway?. Even if it isn't costing you anything financially?.

It doesn't matter if they have 'capability' it is about who can get their first and save lives. The more people there are with the aid effort, the more people that are available to save lives. The Japanese government is there doing the job, yes, but it is a massive area they have to cover. We're not footing the bill, we are helping them do their job. They are doing humanitarian work and working alongside them.

Let's say we buy an iPod, we just spent £250 on a device that eventually we will throw away. But if we donate say even £2 to a charity, that goes toward HUMANITARIAN work, saving lives. Which of the two was the waste of money?