JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Question about a curious thing I have noticed. (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36770-question-about-curious-thing-i-have-noticed.html)

stickmichael 03-22-2011 08:42 PM

Question about a curious thing I have noticed.

Hi this is my first question to this forum. See I am a nice guy the kind that always is smiling and laughing and kinda goofy but not too much. So of course I always shake ppl's hands or smile and nod at them. Now see I love kids too. I am good with kids and I like taking my nieces to the zoo and what not so I am used to it. I actually had to take care of my sis's 2 year old girl for 6 months at one period so mostly attached to her. Okay now that you know that about me my question is how come so many ppl now days give dirty looks to ppl that smile at there kid? I know for damn sure I dont look like a pedo so thought that was weird. I just noticed it recently and tried to stop but I catch myself doing it still all the time. Wondering if anyone else is noticing the horrible drop in trust between ppl. Its crazy. So yea that is my question if it makes any sense at all.

stickmichael 03-22-2011 09:01 PM

Forgot main question is if I smile at some little kid in japan are they going to cut me in half? Just curious. lol

JohnBraden 03-22-2011 09:08 PM

No way! I played hide and seek with kids on trains all the time. More like peek-a-boo than hide and seek.... Once the parent noticed what was going on, all I did was say, "kawaii" and they melt. I have no idea whether it's because nobody seems to notice one another or people are too into themselves to engage others or what, but, the smiles and appreciation I got from the parent was second best to the smiles I got from the kids....

I wouldn't go out of my way to approach them or make any kind of physical contact, but if you're on a train or in line and a child is near you, try to smile at them and see what happens....

Just so you know, not that many Japanese carry a katana with them all the time.... just a few here and there.... :mtongue:

stickmichael 03-22-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 858470)
No way! I played hide and seek with kids on trains all the time. More like peek-a-boo than hide and seek.... Once the parent noticed what was going on, all I did was say, "kawaii" and they melt. I have no idea whether it's because nobody seems to notice one another or people are too into themselves to engage others or what, but, the smiles and appreciation I got from the parent was second best to the smiles I got from the kids....

I wouldn't go out of my way to approach them or make any kind of physical contact, but if you're on a train or in line and a child is near you, try to smile at them and see what happens....

Just so you know, not that many Japanese carry a katana with them all the time.... just a few here and there.... :mtongue:

lol yea just making a funny about the cut in half. Well I am from Texas so maybe that has something to do with it. But glad to hear its not so bad. See that is the main thing I want to test about being there is the courtesy of the ppl. If that makes any since. See I am the kinda guy that smiles all the time but I see how rude everyone is now days. Its crazy. Not really to me either my friends and co-workers are great, but there has just been so many instances with others that I am finding it hard to not step in. So you see I dont want to make that mistake in Japan and you know be in their prison. That would suck great donkey balls. Ahhh.. and also didnt really read too much of the rules for this forum. lol my bad will do later but what is the response to curse words and bad language in general on this? Ha.. funny as you will notice I ramble alot about different things. I think I just like to talk in general. lol Okay well Thx ahead of time. ^_^

MMM 03-22-2011 09:29 PM

I think you can get away with smiling and waving at kids better in Japan than in the US.

stickmichael 03-22-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 858473)
I think you can get away with smiling and waving at kids better in Japan than in the US.

I hope so. I was raised by a very religious father that retired from the military. lol So I got the manners burned into to my very existence. lol But I am half Native american, so are they going to think I will scalp them. I only look it hardcore if my hair is long, but if its short I have the Scottish look of the family. Its funny. Oh and according to if I have been in the sun to have the darker look for the Native side.

MMM 03-22-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickmichael (Post 858474)
I hope so. I was raised by a very religious father that retired from the military. lol So I got the manners burned into to my very existence. lol But I am half Native american, so are they going to think I will scalp them. I only look it hardcore if my hair is long, but if its short I have the Scottish look of the family. Its funny. Oh and according to if I have been in the sun to have the darker look for the Native side.

Even if someone was told specifically you were partially Native American, and you were wearing traditional tribal garb and were actually carrying a hatchet chances are people would not think you would scalp them.

tokusatsufan 03-22-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 858470)
Once the parent noticed what was going on, all I did was say, "kawaii" and they melt.

;) Was the parent young? I think I might try that one!

JohnBraden 03-22-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokusatsufan (Post 858480)
;) Was the parent young? I think I might try that one!

They were predominantly younger than I. One meeting I remember distinctly was on the Yurikamome line heading to Odaiba. There were three generations: little girl, mother, and most likely mother's mother. I played peek-a-boo for about ten minutes before the mother found out what was going on. The little girl would duck behind her seat away from my view (I was standing by the doors) she would pop up and I would smile or make a face. She would smile and duck behind once again. We repeated that until her mother caught us. She looked back at me. I smiled back at her and said,"kawaii" and she thanked me. The girl and I continued for a while longer. They were due to get off at Aqua City and I was staying on until Tokyo Big Sight. As they were preparing to leave, the girl kept smiling and then I started waving and saying my goodbyes. She started waving her little hand and smiling. Mother and grandmother kept thanking me and smiling and even after they got off, they still waved goodbye....

Ryzorian 03-23-2011 03:20 AM

I work at a mall, kids are the devil's spawn and I never smile at them, ever.