JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
AC Japan, あいさつの魔法 - 03-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Those outside Japan probably will not catch on to this...

During the non-stop news reports of the tsunami, most advertisers pulled their commercials. No one wants to have their products be associated with gloom and doom, nor do they want to seem insensitive by playing their perky commercials during disaster coverage. Pretty sensible on their part, really.

This left the stations with empty commercial breaks. For some they just recycled previous footage. For others, they filled in the time with public service announcements from Japan`s big non-profit organization - AC Japan.

One of these had a catchy song. It will eternally be associated directly with the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, and has developed quite a following. Mainly because it was played EVERY break, usually 2 or 3 times. At first it was annoying... Then it became "comforting"... Then "addictive". People are calling it a type of brainwashing. (Humorously, of course.)

As it looks like 99% of the people watching the coverage from overseas were tuned into NHK (which doesn`t run commercials) they missed out on this.

So... I thought I`d give everyone else the chance to experience The Magic of Greetings.

Full version - 60 seconds; Run very rarely, and special enough that people would call each other to watch it (Seriously) "It`s the full version! Hurry!!"

Half length version - 30 seconds; Actually probably just as rare as the full version. Led to plenty of mistaken full version calls, only to be disappointed when it was shorter.

Quarter length version - 15 seconds; This is the one that was played over and over, and over, and over... And over and over again. Sometimes back to back.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 03-24-2011 at 08:28 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-24-2011, 10:21 AM

I've caught onto this! Yeah,I've seen the AC Japan adverts.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-24-2011, 05:02 PM

We only had NHK, so I had no idea about these.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-24-2011, 05:23 PM

Someone commented to me about not understanding why this was such a huge hit in Japan right now, and that it didn`t make sense that so many Japanese blogs were associating this cheerful jingle with the earthquake and tsunami...
It sort of prompted me to post this.

It`s become a bit of a meme, but more widespread than just the internet. ポポポポ~ン is recognized by pretty much *everyone* in Japan now. There was even a video (of course I can`t find it now... *sigh*) of children in one of the evacuation shelters acting it out while singing.

On the net side, people have been making remixes of it, and different "versions" - for example this one.

There is also a flash page to play around with it... Though it`s so incredibly popular that it`s down half the time.
http://azflash.net/az/fla/popopopon.swf

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-24-2011, 07:07 PM

LOL I never paid much attention to the cartoon ones! That video was pretty funny!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

03-25-2011, 01:04 AM

LOL!
So many times I said to my gf "Are you shitting me?! AGAIN?!?! If I hear 'エエエエシイイイーーーー' again I'm going to murder someone!"

It was digging into my temples haha

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.