JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Digger (Offline)
New to JF

Question Looking to Volunteer - Help! - 04-25-2011, 08:32 AM

Hi,
I wishing to volunteer in Japan dissaster zone as i have extensive heavy machinery experiance, Can someone help me contact the right people.
please
(#2 (permalink))
Old
yasuto (Offline)
New to JF

04-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Hello Digger-san. As a Japanese I really appreciate your offer I too am going to Tohoku to do some volunteer work from this weekend.

If you are not fluent in Japanese, what you need is a volunteer group comprised of or including foreigners currently active in Tohoku region. There are some such organizations but the following is the only one I know of.

http://www.peaceboat.org/english/ind...ype=21&menu=62

I went to their orientation session and heard that the most wanted activity right now is sludge clearance. But I am not sure if you can utilize your skill as heavy machinery operator for them.

Are you in Japan now? I’ll let you know if I find any other organization that might suit you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-26-2011, 03:02 PM

Yasuto,

Are the volunteers in Japan asked to provide their own food and shelter?

I'll be in Japan in December and if they're still looking for help, I'd be glad to help out in any way.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
yasuto (Offline)
New to JF

04-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Yasuto,

Are the volunteers in Japan asked to provide their own food and shelter?

I'll be in Japan in December and if they're still looking for help, I'd be glad to help out in any way.

Food: Basically yes but now it is easy to buy them in most of the areas.
Shelter: It depends on the site the volunteer is dispatched. Some local governments near the disaster-affected area have built something like volunteer support center which provides access to foods, shelters and bath for volunteers. But there are still areas where the volunteer has to bring everything himself.

And thanks for your thoughts. There are still a lot of challenges ahead but just reading comments like yours encourages us a lot