JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   influence of twitter and facebook (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/37160-influence-twitter-facebook.html)

dogsbody70 04-25-2011 02:55 PM

influence of twitter and facebook

The truth about Twitter, Facebook and the uprisings in the Arab world | World news | The Guardian

Do you think that this is helping to start these protests and fighting?

it seems like a plague that is whirling out of control.

What do you think? Here in UK I feel sure that many of our protest gatherings is thanks to easy contact via these blogs and so easy to organise large gatherings of people.

Is the rest of the world infected?

WingsToDiscovery 04-25-2011 03:00 PM

I don't think they're so much fueling the organization of protests so much as they are exposing the government's intentions leading to the reasoning behind the protester's rallying. No government wants to be on the front stage in front of the rest of the world when doing their people wrong.

Kozyra 04-25-2011 03:23 PM

Facebook has had a major role in the lives of Arabs, it has become a source of facts for them, and as a result of lack of credibility of the media, as they claim, and has become the place for planning and organizing the demonstrations away from the eyes of the government.
Despite the fact that not everything that appears on Facebook is correct.

TalnSG 04-25-2011 03:46 PM

Like any media that is populated by a mix of people with various backgrounds, the information is may or may not be reliable (just like on JF). The big influence of FB and Twitter seems to be in gathering those of like minds. Back when we had physical mailing lists, political action took weeks or months to even get a meeting set up. With immediate communication it takes only minutes.

GoNative 04-26-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 863115)
The truth about Twitter, Facebook and the uprisings in the Arab world | World news | The Guardian

Do you think that this is helping to start these protests and fighting?

it seems like a plague that is whirling out of control.

What do you think? Here in UK I feel sure that many of our protest gatherings is thanks to easy contact via these blogs and so easy to organise large gatherings of people.

Is the rest of the world infected?

Facebook and twitter undoubtedly assist the organisation and execution of these uprisings and protests but are not the cause of them. There is obviously deep seated unrest in many of these countries.

RealJames 04-26-2011 01:55 AM

follow the softbank / yahoo president on twitter for a really good insight on the fuktshima situation!

dogsbody70 04-26-2011 07:24 AM

how do I do that? I am not on twitter

RealJames 04-26-2011 08:07 AM

Well joining twitter is a good start.
there are tutorials on how to use it there :)
it's pretty straightforward, in case you aren't sure of that, people far stupider than you know how to use it :)

The short of it, he's an incredibly wealthy man taking matters into his own hands, from the research to alternative energy solutions, best part is he listens to everyone's suggestions and ideas and opinions, you could message him yourself with an idea and he'd consider it.

dogsbody70 04-26-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 863183)
Well joining twitter is a good start.
there are tutorials on how to use it there :)
it's pretty straightforward, in case you aren't sure of that, people far stupider than you know how to use it :)

HI James LOL--Of course, I have avoided joining either FB or TWT because of possible lack of privacy.

I am an oldie, and I guess rather suspicious. One hears so much that goes wrong--I May consider joining--------- thanks anyway-- I wonder exactly how stupid you really think I am? between one to ten!!! maybe seven LOL.

noodle 04-26-2011 08:57 AM

It hasn't changed anything here in France or over in Algeria (who badly needs this kind of communication). In France, protesting is somewhat of a culture, so they've never had problems gathering people! Social Media wouldn't have much of an effect I think, apart from on the younger generations who would probably be too lazy to inform themselves in the traditional ways!