JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   What is japans view on England? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/37176-what-japans-view-england.html)

TeaAndScones 04-27-2011 12:50 AM

What is japans view on England?

hey guys.

I've always wondered this.

I'm English myself, and absolutely Adore Japan, And would love to visit, even live there if I could afford.

but What Does japan Actually Think Of England, Or Britain?

I'd love to hear.

MMM 04-27-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaAndScones (Post 863282)
hey guys.

I'm English myself, and absolutely Adore Japan, And would love to visit, even live there if I could afford.

I'd love to hear.

Does England have a singular opinion of Japan?

For the most part I have found that is respected and admired as a cultural beacon in Europe, and many British-style pubs and tea shops can be found in cities in Japan.

TeaAndScones 04-27-2011 12:59 AM

England's opinion on Japan would be a positive one.

I've spoken to many peers and relatives about Japan and they love it.

The vast, Illuminate and exciting culture is something I think the English love about Japan.

MMM 04-27-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaAndScones (Post 863284)

I've spoken to many peers and relatives about Japan and they love it.

The vast, Illuminate and exciting culture is something I think the English love about Japan.

Not to nit-pick, but a country is made up of individuals, and I have met my share of UK natives that thought Japan was "shite" the beer was "piss" and the food was not up to snuff unless you want to pay out your arse.

RickOShay 04-27-2011 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 863286)
the food was not up to snuff unless you want to pay out your arse.

I used to kind of agree with this sentiment, when I was younger and here as a student. But I have since developed Japanese taste, and stomach size.

Sorry nothing to do with the topic, but yeah, to each his own. Overgeneralizations rarely look like intelligent, or unbiased perceptions. I mean everyone's perception is biased, but balance is a good thing to try to keep in your thoughts.

RobinMask 04-27-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaAndScones (Post 863284)

Please don't speak for me and every English-person ;)

I actually know a fair few with a less than positive image, not that their perceptions are downright cruel or racist, just that they see some of Japan's actions as somewhat unethical, or don't understand why they do things the way they do. You wouldn't believe the ammount of times I've heard "You can't go there, they hunt whales" or "do you know how many children are in care, their foster/adoption system is so cruel"? If we're now allowed to speak for an entire country I'd ask what that says about English.

JamboP26 04-27-2011 08:00 AM

I see somebody hasn't played Call Of Duty: Black Ops online. My gamertag is 'JapanL0ver' and occasionally I get some gip for it (and the barage of usually racist comments). Granted, its usually young people, but they are always British. So to say the majority view is positive is false, although Britain does have its fair share of admirers of Japan. (On J-Melo, the UK was the highest E-mailing country, thats including the US, and all the east Asian countries. Btw. J-Melo is a music programme on NHK World that showcase a range of Japanese music, for those that don't know)

SHAD0W 04-27-2011 09:43 AM

From my experience, there are 3 British stereotypes in Japan.

The first is the football hooligan. Drink, drugs and fighting.

The second is the British Gentleman. Top hat 'n' tales with tea and biscuits.

The third is a 1980's Punk rocker. Mohawks, razor blades and leather jackets.

Fish 'n' Chips!

dogsbody70 04-27-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaAndScones (Post 863282)
hey guys.

I'd love to hear.

maybe you meant to say, "what do the Japanese think of England?

Read some history------------its doubtful that many japanese even think about England or the UK any more than many in the Uk even stop to think about Japan-- apart from the recent earthquake---

I used to Hate the Japanese because of their terrible cruelty to Prisoners of War in the Pacific war.

I believe that there are businesses-- really and truly it is Big Business that rules the world.

One would need to ask any Japanese who have lived here (UK) for any time.

I know of some Japanase women who married a Brit-- and moved to UK-- but many are unhappy-- Our culture is so different from that in Japan.

One cannot generalise at all. MY Japanese friend who is over here studying, Longs to Remain here, but it is doubtful that she will ever be able to do so as she is not a young woman.

She adores the UK-- especially its nature.

tokusatsufan 04-27-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 863328)
From my experience, there are 3 British stereotypes in Japan.

The first is the football hooligan. Drink, drugs and fighting.

The second is the British Gentleman. Top hat 'n' tales with tea and biscuits.

The third is a 1980's Punk rocker. Mohawks, razor blades and leather jackets.

Fish 'n' Chips!

lol i remember from justin lee collins when he did manzai comedy and he had to be the fool!