LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
And you are saying this to me? Have you not read my list of favorite movies I posted in the Inception thread? All of them are super new, like from the last 20 years, cept for maybe The Godfather. I'm not saying black and white and 16mm makes a film better, BUT for reasons I have come to learn most of the best films ever made are pretty old, maybe because back then most directors put a lot of thought into making their movies and were keen on trying things nobody had ever tried before, and today this spirit is kinda lost. That's why I put the Lord of the Rings in all of my lists, cause they were bold enough to put all their efforts into creating something new and that is what makes History, pushing technology to the limit and seeing what comes out of it. To me that's what makes a movie worthy of being in the Top 10, taking risks and creating new paths to achievement. I think both Orson Welles and Chaplin would agree with me on this one.
I'm not accusing you of anything. And you're right about older movies being story-based, which are the ones that stand the test of time. New movies have all kinds of crutches to lean on in lieu of good writing.

(#22 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-28-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Some movies will never lose their spot and can't lose their spot on such lists anymore in my eyes because people are like "brainwashed" to have these movies in the top 10.
And don't you think that maybe -just maybe- you are the one not seeing why these movies are so high up on the list, rather than them not being worthy of having a secure spot for years to come?

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#23 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-28-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
And don't you think that maybe -just maybe- you are the one not seeing why these movies are so high up on the list, rather than them not being worthy of having a secure spot for years to come?
No Suki, I think I am the one who doesn't follow everybody's list just because people call it a "must"

Casablanca doesn't deserve to be so high, just because it's a classic.. It's such a boring, worthless movie about a relationship.. I mean come on Suki sleepless in Seatle was a better movie , some movies just will hold there place forever.. and people will always tell you, "but you don't have Casablanca in there? Are you on drugs? Do you have any clue about movies??"

Same with Gone With The Wind btw. Absolutely overhyped until Legendary status.. but in reality it's a boring story and a boring cinematograhphy on top.

Last edited by BobbyCooper : 04-29-2011 at 12:02 AM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

04-28-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
No Suki, I think I am the one who doesn't follow everybody's list just because people call it a "must"

Casablanca doesn't deserve to be so high, just because it's a classic.. It's such a boring, worthless movie about a relationship.. I mean come on Suki sleepless in Seatle was a better movie , some movies just will hold there place forever.. and people will always tell you, "but you don't have Casablanca in there? Are you on drugs?"

Same with Gone With The Wind btw. Absolutely overhyped until Legendary status.. but in reality it's a boring story and a boring cinematograhphy on top.
Nah man she is being"intelectual"
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-29-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Okay then.
BUT for reasons I have come to learn most of the best films ever made are pretty old, maybe because back then most directors put a lot of thought into making their movies and were keen on trying things nobody had ever tried before, and today this spirit is kinda lost. That's why I put the Lord of the Rings in all of my lists, cause they were bold enough to put all their efforts into creating something new and that is what makes History, pushing technology to the limit and seeing what comes out of it. To me that's what makes a movie worthy of being in the Top 10, taking risks and creating new paths to achievement. I think both Orson Welles and Chaplin would agree with me on this one.

Woody Allen, Peter Jackson, Spielberg... maybe even James Cameron...?
Orson Welles literally had carte blanche and final cut... a bold and unheard of deal for a first-time director. Even Woody Allen and Peter Jackson show dailies to studio execs. George Lucas doesn't have to because he owns the studio he directs for.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-29-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Nah man she is being"intelectual"
yep, smart girl isn't she?
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-29-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:

Casablanca doesn't deserve to be so high, just because it's a classic.. It's such a boring, worthless movie about a relationship.. I mean come on Suki sleepless in Seatle was a better movie , some movies just will hold there place forever.. and people will always tell you, "but you don't have Casablanca in there? Are you on drugs? Do you have any clue about movies??"

No one should follow anyone's list just because it is there. However, at the same time no one should slam a movie they haven't given a fair shake to.

Let's not quote close-minded people who aren't actually posting here. We are all adults and can discuss reasonably without reacting to arguments no one is making.

Casablanca vs. Sleepless in Seattle? I take Casablanca. They are both relationship movies at the core, but Casablanca is so much more. A WWII movie where a man has to choose between love and doing the right thing, and helping fight the Nazis. Sleepless in Seattle hardly scratches the surface of the level of human emotion, determination, and character in Casablanca.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-29-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:

I don't think Casablanca is an absolutely great movie because hundreds of people before me have said so. I have been taught why it is regarded as one of the best movies of all time and have been able to understand its importance in the History of Film. It's ok for people to not like it, but to deny its relevance because you don't think the story it tells is entertaining enough? Sorry, I have to disagree. I'm just saying there's a reason why so many people over the years have placed it upon the highest level, and it's not because they are afraid to go against common agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Orson Welles literally had carte blanche and final cut... a bold and unheard of deal for a first-time director. Even Woody Allen and Peter Jackson show dailies to studio execs. George Lucas doesn't have to because he owns the studio he directs for.
So you're agreeing with me. These directors I mentioned pretty much have all the control they want over every step in the making of their movies, which is a good thing in my opinion. They show dailies because somehow they have to justify where the huge amounts of money they're being given is going to, but they know they can pretty much do anything they want with it.

everything is relative and contradictory ~

Last edited by Suki : 04-29-2011 at 12:48 AM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-29-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
So you're agreeing with me. These directors I mentioned pretty much have all the control they want over every step in the making of their movies, which is a good thing in my opinion. They show dailies because somehow they have to justify where the huge amounts of money they're being given is going to, but they know they can pretty much do anything they want with it.
I agree with what you are saying about Casablanca, but the counter argument is going to be, "Why should I be taught why it is a good an important movie? It should stand on its own."

Regarding Welles and Lucas, no I am not agreeing. I am saying even major directors like Woody Allen and Peter Jackson have studios to answer to. Welles didn't have to in Citizen Kane, and Lucas didn't have to in Phantom Menace. Of course tiny productions like El Mariachi or The Blair Witch Project didn't either, but they were made and then shopped to studios. Directors never have all the control they want when they depend on a studio to dole out the cash, script doctor, cast, etc...
(#30 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

04-29-2011, 05:14 AM

I wouldn't really place myself as an authority on something as subjective as films, but from personal preference, I have to vote for Citizen Kane from that list...
Outside the list however, I'd probably opt for Blade Runner and Amiri Baraka's short film, "Dutchman."