JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shijomts (Offline)
New to JF

Living expence in japan - 05-21-2011, 06:43 AM

Hi....i am Shijo from India. I got a job in india in a japan based company. This company is sending me to kyoto,japan for one year training. During that period they will provide me accomodation and 60000 yen per month for fooding....i want to know that this money is sufficient for me to live in kyoto. Can anybody help me to know the living expence in kyoto,japan. Please help me
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-21-2011, 07:24 AM

2000yen a day......
I think it is enough to live.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-21-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
2000yen a day......
I think it is enough to live.
It is enough to just get by and that's about it. You wouldn't be able to really afford to ever go out and have a few drinks over dinner though or really do anything except just survive. Y2,000 a day is extremely basic living. I certainly wouldn't want to have tried to survive in Japan on such a small amount! Double that amount and you'd have enough to survive and have a bit of fun as well.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
It is enough to just get by and that's about it. You wouldn't be able to really afford to ever go out and have a few drinks over dinner though or really do anything except just survive. Y2,000 a day is extremely basic living. I certainly wouldn't want to have tried to survive in Japan on such a small amount! Double that amount and you'd have enough to survive and have a bit of fun as well.
Are you sure? I mean, after an initial grocery store purchase, you can probably go a few days just on home cooked food, literally banking 2,000 yen each day, simply minus whatever you bought to cook with, which you could easily stretch. Then just blow the extra money on a nice dinner/drinks on the town on the weekend. As long as this is just his food expenditures, I think 2,000 is reasonable.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-21-2011, 03:50 PM

If this is just for food, with all housing expenses taken care of - it`s more than enough.

We get by, as a family of three, on about 35000 in food each month. Obviously we don`t eat out every night, and buy raw ingredients... But we`re not super thrifty either. (Quite picky about ingredients, really.)

60000 for food and some entertainment is more than enough for a single person if you`re not eating out constantly and can cook.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

05-21-2011, 04:02 PM

I took it that he'll only be getting Y60,000 a month for any expenses above the rental provided. I am 40 and am not exactly what you could call struggling financially. Maybe my idea of a reasonable amount per day to live on differs to some of you younger folk on here!

As I said you can certainly survive on Y2,000 per day but at least for me that would be very basic living.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

05-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If this is just for food, with all housing expenses taken care of - it`s more than enough.

We get by, as a family of three, on about 35000 in food each month. Obviously we don`t eat out every night, and buy raw ingredients... But we`re not super thrifty either. (Quite picky about ingredients, really.)

60000 for food and some entertainment is more than enough for a single person if you`re not eating out constantly and can cook.
Hell I gave myself around Y20,000 per week just for play money. Food for the family was on top of that!!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-21-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Hell I gave myself around Y20,000 per week just for play money. Food for the family was on top of that!!
I just saw that he said "2,000 yen a day for fooding," which I assume he means just food. Either of us could be right, depending on what he meant. Surely 2,000 a day isn't enough if that includes everything else.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

05-21-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I just saw that he said "2,000 yen a day for fooding," which I assume he means just food. Either of us could be right, depending on what he meant. Surely 2,000 a day isn't enough if that includes everything else.
If the company he works for is paying for it, I'm sure it's just for room and board, meaning lodging and meals. I'm sure he's bringing in his own spending money. At least, that's what I inferred from his statement.