JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ps99 (Offline)
New to JF

Praise for the Japanese character in the UK - 05-01-2011, 10:52 AM

In the reporting by UK media on the disaster there has been a constant thread. It is one of admiration for the stoic way that the people have dealt with the disaster. It is clear to western reporters that dealing with grief is a private matter. One reporter was amazed that a bereaved man ( his wife was crushed in the earthquake ) apologised TO the reporter for sharing a little of his pain. Contrast that to the common question to disaster victims in the west "How does that make you FEEL! "

I think that displays of public emotion have become more common in the west. Perhaps what we in the UK see in Japan is some of the public reserve we used to be famous for.

There is also great admiration for the "can do" way in which roads and infrastructure were quickly rebuilt. There is an almost envious quality to some of the reporting!

So, a great degree of admiration for Japan in the UK media - hopefully a trend that will continue. It can only be a good thing.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Well we have certain things in common,unless they start driving on the wrong side like they said they might,which will annoy me greatly being as I'll have learnt to drive here thinking I'll be fine and all those right hand drive people are gonna be going "YES! HEHE!"

[I am joking,they do not drive on the wrong side.Please don't hurt me!]