JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
thetrueflesh (Offline)
New to JF

05-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Yes it has been confirmed already by the t.v networks, and as a matter of fact this picture has been around the web since 2009.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
It's all about how one can relate. I'm sure news was pouring from the UK about the recent wedding, and while America and the rest of the world covered it, it surely didn't have as much significance as it did to England. The Bin Laden story isn't not being covered; there were news flashes about it on all of the prompter screens as I walked through Tokyo station today. I found out about the news simply from being in Japan and walking through the station before I heard what happened from a western news source. But there's definitely more significance to it for Americans.
Actually the US news covered the wedding to a far, far greater degree than the UK press did - or at least from what I've seen. There was a lot of press about it on the actual day, but in the month leading up it was the US who had the most coverage . . . and you're right, it is being covered elsewhere (Bin Laden, that is) but just not to the insane degree in the US.

You could be right, and that it's because the event has far more significance to the US than to elsewhere, but at the same time the terrorist attacks affected everyone, and a lot of smaller countries had smaller attacks too. I know 9/11 was in America, but so many people died from other countries and from other nations in the towers, I have to question why it's more significant to America. Sorry, I just really don't get it :-/
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-02-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Yeah, I get that, and I'm not denying the fact he was a bad man. I just dislike the way the American press and public have responded to it, I don't think it warrants the attention or celebrations that it has had. I agree its news, and I think it's great closure for all those effected, and we could easily argue it's justice of sorts . . . but I don't understand how (or why) people can cheer, party, and actually celebrate his death. If anything shouldn't it be a moment of reflection, rather than for street parties and at the cost of all other news?

Edit: With that said, I do agree with you and the others that he could still easily be alive . . . my very first thought on seeing the news was how easily that could have been faked. I also agree with you and others that he should have been captured and imprisoned, I don't (nor have I ever) agree with capital punishment, or the celebration of death. I dislike how Sadam was handled, and I dislike how Bin Laden's death has been responded to.
Before this goes too much further, what parties and celebrations are you talking about?

For me the news is barely 15 hours old, and I guess I missed all the impromptu parades and fireworks you are seeing on the news over there.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

05-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Before this goes too much further, what parties and celebrations are you talking about?

For me the news is barely 15 hours old, and I guess I missed all the impromptu parades and fireworks you are seeing on the news over there.
Spontaneous parties in front of the White House, in Times Square, and at Ground Zero. The most notable reaction happened during a New York Mets/Philadelphia Phillies baseball game when the spectators got the news on their Blackberries and started chanting. As a side note, that game went 14 innings and took five hours.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#25 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

05-02-2011, 04:07 PM

Obama is giving another live address right now:
msnbc.com Video Player

Edit:
The first few minutes were dedicated to thanking those involved in the defeat of Osama. The rest of the address was in respect to two fallen American heroes from years past who gave their lives for their country.

Last edited by ModusOperandi : 05-02-2011 at 04:34 PM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

05-02-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Actually the US news covered the wedding to a far, far greater degree than the UK press did
they did. and it is, in a way, retarded. why a country that fought against Royal Family's rule where is no election of leader-only accident of birth, would give such a praise and high ratings to them?
"Specially seeing how Royal protocol should be offensive to any free humanist."
(#27 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-02-2011, 05:00 PM

BIN LADEN BURIED AT SEA AFTER BEING KILLED IN FIREFIGHT WITH U.S. FORCES ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

on Japan Today.

Osama buried at sea. Thats rather convenient isn't it? How is anyone now able to identify the body.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Actually the US news covered the wedding to a far, far greater degree than the UK press did - or at least from what I've seen. There was a lot of press about it on the actual day, but in the month leading up it was the US who had the most coverage . . . and you're right, it is being covered elsewhere (Bin Laden, that is) but just not to the insane degree in the US.

You could be right, and that it's because the event has far more significance to the US than to elsewhere, but at the same time the terrorist attacks affected everyone, and a lot of smaller countries had smaller attacks too. I know 9/11 was in America, but so many people died from other countries and from other nations in the towers, I have to question why it's more significant to America. Sorry, I just really don't get it :-/
I have a feeling that America puts up lots of trivial stories as major news in their media for some reason. For one I remember Elizabeth Smart getting missing and then being found all making big news. I don't know what's such a big deal about that that everybody has to know about? i guess it does help them being found but i've seen photos of missing children on store bulletin board who don't get publicized in press.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Anybody believe in the 911 conspiracy theory? If so what are your take on this?
(#30 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-02-2011, 05:59 PM

I won't believe he is dead until I see his head on a stick.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me