JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-08-2011, 10:16 PM

I was more concerned with finding my luggage and the people who were supposed to come and get me than anything else, really. It had been my first time flying, and I wasn`t exactly used to airports.

The first hint of "Wow, I`m really here..." was on the drive to my host family`s house. Seeing all the signs in Japanese left a strong impression... But I`d arrived in the early evening and it was getting dark.

The strongest thing that hit it home was waking up the next morning, looking out the window, and seeing all the students heading to school in their uniforms.

Most certainly no huge revelations, and definitely no breaking down in the airport. Also, no thoughts about the temperature as I first arrived in March.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Well the airport is not a good representation. Airports all look the same. When I was waiting by the bus stop I noticed it was hot,but then later,on the bus,I noticed just how quiet,and calm people were. My mother noticed I was more relaxed than usual.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-08-2011, 10:30 PM

I have already goosebumps
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-08-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
C-141... sounds military, is that right?
What were you doing in Japan all the way back then, to land at Yokota? Were you posted there in the military?
Bet landing there back then was a different world to landing there these days :L
Yes, I was in the military. I wasn't at all happy about going to Japan. My Air Force training allowed me only 8 duty assignments in the world-4 in Asia/Pacific (Misawa JPN, Elmendorf AK, Clark PI and Osan KOR) and 4 in Europe (RAF Chicksands, San Vito ITA, Augsburg FRG and Iraklion GRE). I wanted any base in Europe so I can make it home on weekends (Madrid), but I was sent to Misawa. I was ticked off, but I thought to myself it may be a blessing in disguise. I worked there at the 6920th Electronic Security Group, but I really can't discuss what I did there....

Northern Tohoku back in the 80s was quite a change from what I was used to in Spain. About a klick out of town and nothing is in English. At first it was just trying to identify the Kanji for the towns in the vicinity, but after a while, it was not difficult to drive everywhere-from Mutsu Bay to Sendai. I loved Lake Towada and the Oraise Gorge leading up to it. Hirosaki Castle was awesome and the whole of Tohoku is beautiful, though parts of it not so much for the time being.

I will head back there late next year and see if I can make it up to Sendai and beyond for a day or two....
(#15 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

05-09-2011, 03:01 AM

I'd done quite a lot of travel around the world before coming to Japan. And coming to Japan wasn't because of some lifelong dream and love of the country. It was to go skiing. I was pretty amazed though to see everything covered in snow right to sea level and the drive from the airport to the ski area was spectacular. Fell in love with Hokkaido very quickly.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

05-09-2011, 05:52 AM

Umihito - most likely that people who were crying and kissing the floor didn't do it because they landed in Japan. i bet on them being afraid of flying and finally feeling hard ground was the thing that made them to burst into tears.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

05-09-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
Umihito - most likely that people who were crying and kissing the floor didn't do it because they landed in Japan. i bet on them being afraid of flying and finally feeling hard ground was the thing that made them to burst into tears.
The first overseas trip I ever did was to South America way back in 1992. On the first internal flight I took in Peru from Lima to Cuzco when it landed everyone onboard cheered and clapped! I wondered is it that unsual for a plane to land safely that it's something to get so excited about!! It was a bit disconcerting!
(#18 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

05-09-2011, 06:28 AM

well. when you think about it then flying could be still viewed as magic. look at history - 60 years after invention of aircraft we went to space. not to mention continental flights are everyday occurrence. all that in a span of 2 generations. it used to take us 10 000 years to come up with a slightly better tool for crafting.

in flights that i have been people always applauded. and it is understandable. if you think about it - you just spent 10 hours flying 500mph in a comfy chair 10 000 feat in the air.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
05-09-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
well. when you think about it then flying could be still viewed as magic. look at history - 60 years after invention of aircraft we went to space. not to mention continental flights are everyday occurrence. all that in a span of 2 generations. it used to take us 10 000 years to come up with a slightly better tool for crafting.

in flights that i have been people always applauded. and it is understandable. if you think about it - you just spent 10 hours flying 500mph in a comfy chair 10 000 feat in the air.
30.000 feet, 10.000 meters.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
nellie1208 (Offline)
JF Regular

05-09-2011, 10:44 AM

My reaction when I've been in Japan, I was totally shocked!!!
It was one of the beautiful places in Asia.

I felt that I am a total stranger there because I don't understand their language at all. I tried to listen to people's conversation, yet, I am not able to relate and communicate with them.

AS I am seeing their culture, it was so good. I really wanna go back in Japan after seeing the places and their culture.

Now, as a preparation for my next visit in Japan, I am practicing its language, to be able to further understand everyone in this place, I really really love it here.

I also have noticed, that the people here are cheerful and hospitable. =D