LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-09-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Hehe, I was on Finnair when I went, and if I'm completely honest I slept through most of the flight so I don't remember them that well. You're lucky to get ANA

Woah, so your first time there was when you were moving there?
And yes, I'm not surprised after all the probable headaches of getting everything ready for a new start in such a difficult to get to country :L
Yeah, I'd never been to Japan before moving there. Some people think it's a good idea, some people think it's a bad idea. I just used my own judgement.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
05-09-2011, 01:27 PM

I was more concerned about making sure all luggage was accounted for and making sure i knew where to go plus i was god tired i dont think my excitement set in that i was in another country till day later.

(#23 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-09-2011, 02:15 PM

My first abnormal feeling was
- Why is everyone looking at me? (mostly glances, but quite often, well hidden)

And then the first strong feeling was
- HOLY SHIT DON'T TURN THERE! I'M GOING TO DIE!! (It took me a while to adjust to left-side driving, that first turn scared the shit out of me)

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps99 View Post
" That person that told me that all western men look like Brad Pitt to Japanese women was lying!"
That's funny, within a few weeks I distinctly felt like I was being mistaken for Brad Pitt...
I definitely got laid about 1000 times more easily here, by significantly sexier women, than in any other place I've been. Including Korea.. what a bunch of prudes...

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

05-09-2011, 05:01 PM

oh i remember that day vividly, i was actually overwhelmed and sort of "squashed" under all that sea of concrete around me. friends of my ex gf picked me up, so my first trip was in a car through the fly-overs straight to minato ku, which is in the center of tokyo. it was an outstanding day indeed.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

05-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I definitely got laid about 1000 times more easily here, by significantly sexier women, than in any other place I've been. Including Korea.. what a bunch of prudes...
ya i ve heard that many times, but for me it is the exact opposite. i simply would not know what to do with the chicks here, since i dont dig disneyhell and i find karaoke annoying to say the least, which basically summarizes dates in tokyo, 超つまらない...zzzzz....
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-09-2011, 05:22 PM

My arrival in Japan huh... to be honest my memories are pretty vague, I only remember bits.

Context:

End of August, the UK is suffering SEVERE flooding (of the people died variety), it's freezing and wet. The flight took almost a whole 24 hours, with an 8 hour stop. I'd just had a wisdom tooth removed and was on heavy antibiotics and pain killers which doped me up big time. I was with a classmate, who almost got beat up by a crazy man on the plane.

My arrival went (aproximately something) like this:

-well, that was the worlds most pointless and retarded escalator. <.< -

-finger prints! Immigration security! Posters about terrorism! I should look more serious for this occaision.... *unfortunately too drugged to apply this* ~ hiii!-

-"Matt? wh-" we're hiding why? "Shhh! Crazy man who wants to bite my nose off!"-

-It looks humid outside, urghhh... it's humid outside. It's like Africa. No, let's hover by the door like scared owls until the university man forces us to go to the bus stop.-

-HURRY UP BUS AIGPIOHAgHPAHmelting I cannot cope with this heat, it is atrocious, it was barely 4 degrees C when we left and it's, what's the temperature here? *sign board* THIRTY TWO!? D8 and 97% humidity. fffffff-

-"Matt, did I take my pills yet or not, I can't remember." ...."I think you did, you're dribbling." ....."Your hair has gone massive." "Maybe, but I'm not dribbling." ..."I hate teeth."-

-BUS! ....airport areas always look like crap, hope it's not this grey and built up where we're going. Oh hello terrified looking American,...What? uh... ok? I-will-speak-slowly-for-you?- seriously though, I don't have that much of an accent.-

-No trees, no grass! D: "It's pretty industrial." "Reminds me of Santander, a bit..." -

- MASSIVE FERRIS WHEEL! We should go there!-

-Urghhh...Aircon is my friend FOREVER.-

and then I passed out again pretty much until we arrived at the university, but that's a whole other scenario.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
And then the first strong feeling was
- HOLY SHIT DON'T TURN THERE! I'M GOING TO DIE!! (It took me a while to adjust to left-side driving, that first turn scared the shit out of me)
Yeah,Canada,America,all these European countries should start driving the correct side of the road!

I'm amazed about the South America story. They must be really paranoid.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
oh i remember that day vividly, i was actually overwhelmed and sort of "squashed" under all that sea of concrete around me. friends of my ex gf picked me up, so my first trip was in a car through the fly-overs straight to minato ku, which is in the center of tokyo. it was an outstanding day indeed.
Minato-ku is quite big. Do you remember which part? I currently live in the ward now

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#30 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
That's funny, within a few weeks I distinctly felt like I was being mistaken for Brad Pitt...
Now I gotta say that this is an interesting topic you are talking about here James. Would you mind going a little more into details maybe?