JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Your reaction when you first land(ed) in Japan? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/37359-your-reaction-when-you-first-land%28ed%29-japan.html)

Umihito 05-08-2011 08:33 PM

Your reaction when you first land(ed) in Japan?

When you landed in Japan for the very first time in your life, what was your reaction when you landed? What did you do? If you haven't been yet, what do you think your reaction will be?

This may seem quite strange, because most peple will say 'nothing much, just walked through the airport and onto my destination with some excitement,' but the reason I ask is because I've seen a surprising number of people who say that when they touch Japanese soil, they'll collapse onto the floor, start crying and praising God that they're in Japan... right in the middle of the airport. Of course that'll probably never happen... but still, it got me thinking.

There are many people on here and other places that are quite obsessed with Japan. I've never really heard of these kinds of people actually ever making it to Japan though, and backed up by lots of people not even knowing what a 'Japanophile / Weeaboo' is even though they live in Japan, until they came onto this forum.
So when these Japan-loving people actually touch down at the airport, do you think their reaction is quite.... noticeable, so to say?

But yes, I'm interested in everyones reactions, and what you think your reactions will be if you haven't been yet. :)

For me, I was simply too jet-lagged to be jumping for joy when I landed, and the train into Tokyo just seemed like a blur I was so tired :L

SHAD0W 05-08-2011 08:54 PM

My first thought was:

"Bugger me, I'm roastin'!"

BobbyCooper 05-08-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umihito (Post 864906)
When you landed in Japan for the very first time in your life, what was your reaction when you landed? What did you do? If you haven't been yet, what do you think your reaction will be?

This may seem quite strange, because most peple will say 'nothing much, just walked through the airport and onto my destination with some excitement,' but the reason I ask is because I've seen a surprising number of people who say that when they touch Japanese soil, they'll collapse onto the floor, start crying and praising God that they're in Japan... right in the middle of the airport. Of course that'll probably never happen... but still, it got me thinking.

There are many people on here and other places that are quite obsessed with Japan. I've never really heard of these kinds of people actually ever making it to Japan though, and backed up by lots of people not even knowing what a 'Japanophile / Weeaboo' is even though they live in Japan, until they came onto this forum.
So when these Japan-loving people actually touch down at the airport, do you think their reaction is quite.... noticeable, so to say?

But yes, I'm interested in everyones reactions, and what you think your reactions will be if you haven't been yet. :)

For me, I was simply too jet-lagged to be jumping for joy when I landed, and the train into Tokyo just seemed like a blur I was so tired :L

This is exactly what I was playing through my mind :)

And I am going to do just that next year January and I am going to kiss the floor that I am still so blessed to visit Japan in this time at my age and with my dreams in my little head.

I will cry when I am getting out to the Airport, crying with so much happiness!

Maybe you don't believe me, but thats exactly how I see my first steps in this beautiful country! Call me what you want.. I don't care, I am living my DREAM then!!!

My emotions will overcome me I just know it!

WingsToDiscovery 05-08-2011 09:00 PM

I fit into the kind of "chill" feeling you described. I was glad I made it through the trip (14 hours on the plane) but I didn't have any kind of "awakening" while hanging out at Narita Airport. Truthfully, I was more excited on the plane ride with the cute stewardesses and good food of ANA than when I actually touched down :cool:
But I probably would have felt different if I was just visiting and not moving to Japan.

JohnBraden 05-08-2011 09:07 PM

For me, it was a non-moment.... I walked out of a crappy 747, walked down the stairs onto the tarmac at Yokota and proceeded to board a crappy C-141 on my way to Tohoku.... I don't remember much else-it was October 1987....

ps99 05-08-2011 09:29 PM

"I'm here. I'm actually here!"

Random memories from my trip in 98.

" It's just like Blade Runner " ( after spotting a road crew directing traffic with light-up sticks )

" They have BEER vending machines on the hotel landing! " ( no panty ones tho a-hem )

" They have COLD TEA vending machines in alleyways " ( presumably strained thro panties :) )

" Its ****ing humid here in June "

" Haven't seen anyone with huge eyes and purple hair "

" Why have they got airfix models of food in the window of restaraunts?"

" That person that told me that all western men look like Brad Pitt to Japanese women was lying!"

" Wow! People actually give a bit of thought to taking their mobiles to the end of the train carriage rather than bellowing I'M ON THE TRAIN! "

" It's 11 p.m on a weekday and pissed-up salaryman are just going home. It's a bit different to back home when theres a train full of drunks!"

OK thats many thoughts! I would love to go again ( only not in june! )

JohnBraden 05-08-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ps99 (Post 864916)

" Why have they got airfix models of food in the window of restaraunts?"

You must be from the British Isles! Haven't heard "Airfix" since James May's Toy Stories....

ps99 05-08-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 864917)
You must be from the British Isles! Haven't heard "Airfix" since James May's Toy Stories....

I am indeed, sir! :) Didn't know James May had made it onto american tv but those Top Gear boys get everywhere!

JBaymore 05-08-2011 10:01 PM

Quite a while ago...... so things have changed a lot. It's gotten easier for "first timers" every time I have gone back.

First thought...... "It's hotter than Hades."

Second thought....... "Crap.. I'm functionallly illiterate."

best,

.................john

Umihito 05-08-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery (Post 864910)
I fit into the kind of "chill" feeling you described. I was glad I made it through the trip (14 hours on the plane) but I didn't have any kind of "awakening" while hanging out at Narita Airport. Truthfully, I was more excited on the plane ride with the cute stewardesses and good food of ANA than when I actually touched down :cool:
But I probably would have felt different if I was just visiting and not moving to Japan.

Hehe, I was on Finnair when I went, and if I'm completely honest I slept through most of the flight so I don't remember them that well. You're lucky to get ANA ;)

Woah, so your first time there was when you were moving there?
And yes, I'm not surprised after all the probable headaches of getting everything ready for a new start in such a difficult to get to country :L

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 864911)
For me, it was a non-moment.... I walked out of a crappy 747, walked down the stairs onto the tarmac at Yokota and proceeded to board a crappy C-141 on my way to Tohoku.... I don't remember much else-it was October 1987....

C-141... sounds military, is that right?
What were you doing in Japan all the way back then, to land at Yokota? Were you posted there in the military? :)
Bet landing there back then was a different world to landing there these days :L