JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Japanese Illuminated Trucks (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/37361-japanese-illuminated-trucks.html)

ps99 05-08-2011 09:46 PM

Japanese Illuminated Trucks

I've googlef for this but got very few results. What I want to find is anything about the trucks in Japan that have hundreds of lights on the sides that strobe and play patterns.

There was one on view in the film "Black Rain" and i've seen one in the video game "18 Wheeler". Is there a name for them? I would be really happy if someone could help.

JohnBraden 05-08-2011 11:07 PM

You mean these? Dark Roasted Blend: Electric Light Truck Decoration in Japan

I never saw anything like that outside the Philippine Islands!

termogard 05-08-2011 11:46 PM

lights

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ps99 (Post 864919)
I've googlef for this but got very few results. What I want to find is anything about the trucks in Japan that have hundreds of lights on the sides that strobe and play patterns.

There was one on view in the film "Black Rain" and i've seen one in the video game "18 Wheeler". Is there a name for them? I would be really happy if someone could help.

I think it's a kind of navigation lights serving to display visual size of the vehicle in a dark or bad weather conditions. Similar to international basic Red (Port side) and Green (Starboard side) lights of merchant vessels.

Examples : Hino Ranger and Nissan Quon :

masaegu 05-09-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ps99 (Post 864919)

The name is デコトラ. Google it and you will find more information than you need ----- in Japanese.

Columbine 05-09-2011 05:34 PM

[quote=termogard;864929]I think it's a kind of navigation lights serving to display visual size of the vehicle in a dark or bad weather conditions. [quote]

It's waaaay more than that: Dekotora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it's mentioned briefly in Hokkaido Highway Blues (book), but I think it's a dead trend now somewhat; something people did in the '90's?

godwine 05-09-2011 05:47 PM

Check these pics

Columbine 05-09-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 864999)
Check these pics

LOL! Does that truck say what I think it says?

JohnBraden 05-09-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 865003)
LOL! Does that truck say what I think it says?

It's a mirror image-backwards too....

Columbine 05-09-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 865005)
It's a mirror image-backwards too....

I've heard of covering all angles, but that's a new one. XD

JohnBraden 05-09-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 865006)
I've heard of covering all angles, but that's a new one. XD

LoL! Didn't mean it that way, but I see what you mean! Would it matter much if I said "it's a mirror-image (backwards) as well"? LOL again!