JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

What do you think about virginity before Marriage? - 05-22-2011, 09:03 PM

And what do Japanese people think about it?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-22-2011, 09:23 PM

I don't think you can generalize how people view this... Just like everywhere else in the world, most guys want to lose it as soon as they can, while most girls want to keep it for as long as they can..

Majority of Japanese people are still very traditional, some area still believe in sex after marriage, but I think (Again just MY thought) some girls are open to the idea of losing it if they believe they've found Mr Right.

At one point, big city girls consider virginity to be something to be shame of, so everyone were try to lose it as soon as they can, but I think that mentality has since changed...

Most of my info are old, others probably have more recent info to share....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-22-2011, 11:35 PM

Japan is not a Christian country (like Korea) so there is not the social shame of losing one's virginity before marriage. I have never heard some one being praised for saving it or lambasting for not.

I wonder what Japanese mothers tell their daughters about sex.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-22-2011, 11:39 PM

Yeah, I've never heard any kind of stigma attached to this subject. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with Christian religious values, and their absence in Japanese culture as MMM stated.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#5 (permalink))
Old
pumpum (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-23-2011, 12:05 AM

It is so good to hear there are places where such stigmas are not prevalent due to the curse of religion(s)

The things that come to those who wait are the things that are left by those who got there first !
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-23-2011, 01:19 AM

You do not hear to much about the sex part, but once a pregnancy is involved, a marriage to follow is somewhat expected I think. Also living together before marriage is traditionally looked down upon.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-23-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuko81 View Post
Because MMM wrote about Christian I add some words. I read Bible, I've not seen anywhere about virginity before mariage.
Let's read short paragraphs about "the Bible say about marriage". I think it's exiting:
Genesis 2:23–24 (ESV)
23 Then the man said,
“This at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called Woman,
because she was taken out of Man.”
24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Genesis 2:18 (ESV)
18 Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”
Ephesians 5:25 (ESV)
25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,
Ephesians 5:28–29 (ESV)
28 In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church,
Ephesians 5:31 (ESV)
31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”
I have a hunch that this was simply your way of subliminally spreading biblical verses, but just to show you an example as you couldn't find one, I'll provide one, thanks to Google.

“If any man takes a wife and goes in to her and then hates her 14 and accuses her of misconduct and brings a bad name upon her, saying, ‘I took this woman, and when I came near her, I did not find in her evidence of virginity,’ 15 then the father of the young woman and her mother shall take and bring out the evidence of her virginity to the elders of the city in the gate. 16 And the father of the young woman shall say to the elders, ‘I gave my daughter to this man to marry, and he hates her; 17 and behold, he has accused her of misconduct, saying, “I did not find in your daughter evidence of virginity.” And yet this is the evidence of my daughter's virginity.’ And they shall spread the cloak before the elders of the city. 18 Then the elders of that city shall take the man and whip [1] him, 19 and they shall fine him a hundred shekels [2] of silver and give them to the father of the young woman, because he has brought a bad name upon a virgin [3] of Israel. And she shall be his wife. He may not divorce her all his days. 20 But if the thing is true, that evidence of virginity was not found in the young woman, 21 then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has done an outrageous thing in Israel by whoring in her father's house. So you shall purge the evil from your midst."

- Deuteronomy 22:13-21

So basically if a woman is found not a virgin, she gets stoned to death as an appropriate punishment, according to the bible. A man gets fined if the accusation is wrong.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#8 (permalink))
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-23-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Japan is not a Christian country (like Korea) so there is not the social shame of losing one's virginity before marriage. I have never heard some one being praised for saving it or lambasting for not.

I wonder what Japanese mothers tell their daughters about sex.
There is a significant Christian population in Korea though. About a quarter is Christian.

I wonder what Buddhist teaching is like regarding virginity before marriage...since it seems there is a huge Buddhist element to Japanese society (many of them having Butsudan in their house)

What do American mothers teach their children about sex?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-23-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
most guys want to lose it as soon as they can, while most girls want to keep it for as long as they can..
Why do they want it so, respectively?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-23-2011, 05:27 AM

This is a pointless circular arguement. Some will think it's fine, some won't. Some people like coffee, some like tea.