JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
givemesomebeer (Offline)
New to JF

05-23-2011, 07:14 PM

whats about hair police? exists this in some schools? is it legal?

and how japanese think of these institution keepers which dont want non japanese looking/speaking in their institution?

though i dont know how many shops/bars are tehre in japan, i saw too much signs and i could tolerate if it would be 0.6%

this racism is what contributes to my japanese exotic and although its bad that japanese dislike foreigners i welcome it, it can afford to be racist for me, if it would reach critical limit which manifests in *hairpolice*/ too many foreigner hostility then i still will counter it with grounds about leagueshipping, if it would be that bad then it could never have bring leagueshipping in existence and make leagueshipping change my life, pokemon proves that japan cant be that bad(if pokemon *atmosphere* would be representation of how japan should be/is)

i assume that changing hair color for sakes of discrimination is rarer than japanese only signs, but he wouldnt libel japanese if it wouldnt be true

i dont know if debito is attention whore, i dont care, but i found something on his site which exists in real life and he didnt invent it

coz u wantto know meaning of leagueshipping.....
i already have it here, u dont need to to it manually
leagueshipping - Google Search

_
sry im an attention whore
this pic i made in 2009
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1665/gfdgh4.jpg

Last edited by givemesomebeer : 05-23-2011 at 07:19 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-23-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemesomebeer View Post
though i dont know how many shops/bars are tehre in japan, i saw too much signs and i could tolerate if it would be 0.6%
You are saying you saw signs like this in Japan? I lived in Japan for a few years, and only remember one time seeing a sign like that (at a massage parlor) and was a welcome guest at dozens... maybe hundreds of bars and restaurants.

You can easily spend months and years in Japan and never be told you cannot enter an establishment because you weren't Japanese.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-23-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You are saying you saw signs like this in Japan? I lived in Japan for a few years, and only remember one time seeing a sign like that (at a massage parlor) and was a welcome guest at dozens... maybe hundreds of bars and restaurants.

You can easily spend months and years in Japan and never be told you cannot enter an establishment because you weren't Japanese.
I concur, 7 years in Japan and I have seen one of those signs.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemesomebeer View Post

and how japanese think of these institution keepers which dont want non japanese looking/speaking in their institution?

this racism is what contributes to my japanese exotic and although its bad that japanese dislike foreigners i welcome it, it can afford to be racist for me, if it would reach critical limit which manifests in *hairpolice*/ too many foreigner hostility then i still will counter it with grounds about leagueshipping, if it would be that bad then it could never have bring leagueshipping in existence and make leagueshipping change my life, pokemon proves that japan cant be that bad(if pokemon *atmosphere* would be representation of how japan should be/is)

i assume that changing hair color for sakes of discrimination is rarer than japanese only signs, but he wouldnt libel japanese if it wouldnt be true

i dont know if debito is attention whore, i dont care, but i found something on his site which exists in real life and he didnt invent it

coz u wantto know meaning of leagueshipping.....
i already have it here, u dont need to to it manually
leagueshipping - Google Search

_
sry im an attention whore
this pic i made in 2009
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1665/gfdgh4.jpg
So what is it you are trying to say here dude? Japanese society is bad/racist but there is hope because they invented pokemon?? LOL

And that is an LOL at your shortsighted view of Japan, and your pokemon comment. But sorry if I have misunderstood what you are trying to say.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-23-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You probably wouldn't know this by looking at the site, but the majority of those places are overpriced cabarets and massage parlors that you wouldn't want to go to anyway. The sign is actually a good thing. Read it as "We rip people off here, and don't want people who believe in complaining about our terrible business practices to enter."
THIS.

I have never personally seen one of these signs (and I`ve been in Japan for more than ten years and have traveled pretty extensively) - and have only heard second hand (as in from another person who personally saw one, not rumors or FOAF) of them being put up at the hostess clubs, soap lands, and erotic massage parlors.

There is a reason why almost all of them are reported by men. I`m sure there may be some that are up at other establishments, like the famous onsen case, where there have been issues in the past. I will also say that I`ve never visited one of the US base areas, so cannot comment on their numbers there (I`ve heard that this is where they`re most common - but still the great majority at sex related businesses.)

I kind of personally think that part of the reason that the onsen Debito pursued so persistently was chosen as a target was because it was one of the very few non-sex related businesses posting that sort of thing.

Quote:
Hair police? You mean teachers enforcing school policies in regard to hairstyles? It is part of the uniform, so yes, schools do enforce policies. If you are talking about something different, you`ll have to clarify.

Quote:
Being as school policy is "natural hair color" - I can`t see why on earth anyone would have to change their hair color "for sakes of discrimination".

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-23-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Being as school policy is "natural hair color" - I can`t see why on earth anyone would have to change their hair color "for sakes of discrimination".
And that's not an exclusively Japanese thing either. That policy is in a lot of areas.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-24-2011, 12:21 AM

Not this topic again.

Also the point Debito is making is that there is a lack of legislation that protects minorities in Japan not that Japan is a country full of bigots.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-24-2011, 06:02 AM

The basis of the problem is not a racial discrimination but "Theft . the assault . manners breach. "
The problem is not solved as long as these are not solved.

And, it is a group that has complicated the problem that is offering Debito money and the labor. (The club which increases the pocket money of the pig)
Debito is trying it by using not becoming strong feeling when Japan is a Russian other party well.
The action of the smuggling concerning this matter is more serious than "Problem of the entering rejection".

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#19 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

05-24-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Honestly, who cares. People can have who ever they want in thier store, it's their store. Could have "Martians Only" signs if they wanted.....course they wouldn't be open long.
Not in most countries.
America got rid of the idea of whites only places long ago.
In Britain a few weeks ago was a bit of controversy over some guys being kicked out of a pub for being gay.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
givemesomebeer (Offline)
New to JF

05-24-2011, 09:25 PM

maybe my request wasnt taken seriously

1. did they put these signs because they arent reasonable and label foreign looking/non japanese citizens(there are several categories, some dont let in coz of looking, some dont let in coz they cant speak japanese) as trouble makers or who will pollute their shop by their non japaneseness and it all concerns only few % of all services in japan and thus doesnt represent whole japanese relation to foreigners?

2. Schools single out foreign roots | The Japan Times Online

NB from the submitter of the photographs: "Last weekend, I saw a sign on Aoyama Dori advertising an "estee" salon for women. The sign and the salon are located next to the temporary Kinokuniya supermaket building. What made the advertisement unique was that it explicitly stated in English that the services provided by the salon are for "Japanese Women Only" (attached for your reference is a copy of the store's pamphlet advertising the subject services). I found the advertising offensive and called the store owner to ask for an explanation of the exclusionary statement. The owner explained that the salon would not provide services to foreigners, including Koreans living in Japan. I think that you may find it interesting that a store located in the center of Aoyama is openly and blatantly engaging in discriminatory advertising and practices."

NB from the Rogues' Gallery Manager: I called Princess Plumeria to confirm the reasons for exclusionism on Feb 24, 2005. The manager told me that yes, all "gaijin-sans" are refused because their facilities are "too small" (How big do they think feet can get?). And they want to avoid a language barrier should anyone feel unwell during the footbaths. When I asked about the Zainichis (Japan-born ethnicities, such as ethnic Koreans or Chinese), she said that they would be refused too. Even though Zainichis have no language barrier? That was where she said she was now too busy to talk...

We visited an Irish-themed bar almost opposite the base's main gate, owned by an international couple. After a quiet hour there downing a Guinness with few customers around, we asked the distaff-side manager where she saw the problem. She said, in paraphrase:

"I think the bars find it a nuisance to deal with the American military. The boys get shocked by the amount of money they have to pay at these places, and make trouble. They don't understand the Japanese system of service charges, like paying for "charm" and for hostesses' drinks. I doubt the bars need the military's patronage anyway. At current exchange rates, they don't have much money. They just aren't worth the trouble. That's why they get excluded."

I inquired about my status: I was both civilian and Japanese, so why was I refused? "Because you don't understand how we feel about these things." I asked whom she meant by "we". Manager: "We Japanese." When I asked if this was not a problem of racial discrimination, she retorted: "In England, I know places that refuse service to Japanese. Discrimination is everywhere in the world and there is nothing one can do about it (shikata ga nai)." When I pointed out that there are laws against racial discrimination in Britain and one can get arrested for this practice, she angrily responded that no laws would fix how we Japanese feel.

though its not my fav sign its the most "exclusive"(irony)
http://www.debito.org/edensign030707.jpg

my favorite sign

how many japanese r against it and do racists represent japan?

Quote:
So what is it you are trying to say here dude? Japanese society is bad/racist but there is hope because they invented pokemon?? LOL

And that is an LOL at your shortsighted view of Japan, and your pokemon comment. But sorry if I have misunderstood what you are trying to say.
u misunderstood it and not, if japan is racist and hates all who arent from japan and want to live isolated then pokemon wouldnt be what it is, pokemon shows a style of life which is too far from foreigner hostility and thus japan in reality somehow is like that in pokemon....originally i wanted to say that if it would be too bad then pokemon wouldnt be so awesome and change my life and if japan is racist then pokemon wouldnt be able to change my life and coz of these facts concerning pokemon and leagueshipping and japan i dont want to believe that this debased issue exists in japan and hairpolice made it worse coz it goes against my anime issue and personal issue(though its inly for schools but its enough), it was too good to be true when i saw a dark skinned comedian who performed traditional japanese comedy stand up and japanese accepted him and it was hard to believe that they did but they did it(like if they dont care), i was afraid about what they think and didnt know whether its normal for them or they just clap and dont accept him, its another issue but now im not sure what to think about this all since i saw the signs........ i have a gauge concerning respecting stuff, it was hard for japan to "get on up" just only coz of 1 sign or several reports about not letting foreigners in, i wouldve said "go to other restaurant if u dont like", i was patient and coz just some foreigners werent let in coz they dont look asian didnt bring it on up, coz of personal issues which also concerns pokemon/leagueshipping and personal again i overindulge japan more than other countries and the worst misdemeanor which japan misdemeanored against me was that stuff in 1860 when they accepted west rules(regarding homosexuality) and this racism issue, i respect japan's racism (to japanese: dont try to say japan is not racist, i know its not officially racist and in japan is less racism(real racism(race) not foreign hostility) than in usa) coz it can afford to have it (for me at least) and i dont care about it, and who can else dislike japan, its japan, u must be sick if u dont like japan(exotic may have other meaning to others than to me, to me its connected to myself and has bigger meaning to me than to u and now this racism issue wants to destroy it , and i want to add that "u must be sick if u dont like japan(but its only from my point of view and they arent me and thus they dont understand why i said it so coz they arent me)") just coz of racism i cant disrespect japan---- its personal issue u wont understand why i respect japan , it has very much to do with personal(pokemon included) stuff--- and to lower misunderstandings, i never lived in japan and pokemon was the first what brought me officially to japan, and because i so much believed in japan and knew that there were legal issues which need correction, i couldnt accept(after i saw so much signs) that they dont want to accept foreigners or who dont look japanese, it was contrary to what i knew about japan, it were too much signs and it looked like there is 1 of 5 shops with these signs; i talked about my gauge of patience before(and its hard to make it go up), now i couldnt hold it and its hard to bring it up and its hard to make it go down, when its on a side then it stays there so long(either up or down) until the situation is clear and i know the background behind the issue and this gauge needs to go down coz it misrepresents japan "in my mind" and japan's spirit is misunderstood and it lowers respect of japan and damages my connection to it and i seek for confirmation that THESE PPL WHICH KEEP FOREIGNERS OUTSIDE COZ THEY ARENT CITIZENS OR AND WHICH KEEP CITIZENS OUTSIDE COZ THEY DONT LOOK JAPANESE OR AND WHICH KEEP THEM COZ THEY DONT LOOK ASIAN OR AN WHICH KEEP NON JAPANESE OUTSIDE COZ THEY BELIEVE THEY R BETTER THAN OTHERS AND NON JAPANESE ARENT WORTH IT DONT REPRESENT WHAT A JAPANESE MUST BE, gauge went up coz of quantity of it not coz its quality, and it forced to doubt japanese way of life(to accept foreigners, foreign looking and even getting along with those who dont speak japanese(and still somehow get in contact) and respect them(its what u see in tv with helpful japanese which seem to accept anyone)), im not one of those with tourist mentality who is now shocked coz i found racist signs in japan, i respect it otherwise i couldnt accept japanese racism(which is only(?) found in "japanese hillbilly"), racismt on itself doesnt shock me and i have more to do with japanese way of life than u think coz u dont know me or my connection to japan, but i never want to live permantly there and never would want to be citizen of japan coz it intervenes with my "exotic connection" to japan and would destroy many things, i want to keep an exotic not-on-citizen level relationship to japan and see it as something exotic what all westerners desire coz it doesnt exist in west and thus its exotic coz its in japan(hence i said "who else dislikes japan, its japan,it cant be disliked despite its mistakes"), im very special with gift that u dont know coz its tailor made for me and u cant have it coz its only for me and its greatest gift that i have,i know u would die for it to get it coz its very precious, and this has to do with all this japan stuff but also other stuff, its all connected, i dont require u to understand it, i have my own opinion about japan and dont let anyone impose any other japanese exotic upon me even if its showa himself, i have my own japan exotic(or "my opinion about japan") and coz its precious and japanese maybe wont accept it as 100% japanese coz its my own version of japanse exotic(but also could be my own version of japanese way of life____________

10k limit makes look this reply like 2 replies though it should be 1, its pathetic

Last edited by givemesomebeer : 05-24-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Closed Thread