JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shu (Offline)
JF Wanker

Send a message via Yahoo to shu
is this a good idea? - 05-26-2011, 12:11 AM

If i was to learn german and get a job as a translator,then use the money to go to japan and or live there?while learning japanese on the side?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-26-2011, 12:21 AM

Why not cut out the middle man and just learn Japanese first, and then become a Japanese translator? Is there any more information we're missing that would incline you to learn German first?

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dosu (Offline)
JF Regular

05-26-2011, 12:31 AM

I don't know if you've heard of him or not but there is a polyglot on youtube whos screen name is laoshu505000 his flr technique will get you speaking german in a couple months or so

このサイトは私のPSPで効いて、幸せです。(ノ¤_¤)ノ
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

05-26-2011, 02:02 AM

German is a tough language to master but if you had learnt enough of it to be a professional translator then I'd say you'd pick up Japanese pretty quickly as well.
If you then knew English, German and Japanese at a high level then you're bound to find employment in Japan.

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-26-2011, 02:07 AM

normally if you have to ask someone if something is a good idea, it isn't...

you probably have a reason to feel it isn't otherwise you wouldn't have asked :P

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Guza (Offline)
WTF!?

Send a message via AIM to Guza Send a message via MSN to Guza
05-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
If i was to learn german and get a job as a translator,then use the money to go to japan and or live there?while learning japanese on the side?
nah just move to germany and stay there lol, i heard they got an awsome beer fest there!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

05-30-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guza View Post
nah just move to germany and stay there lol, i heard they got an awsome beer fest there!
Fair point. I'd forgotten about that. I had a mate who went there for the 2006 world cup and he drank flagons of the local beer in each town/city he went to and never woke up with a hang over the next day. Apparently they have a very pure brewing culture compared to other countries. If that's not heaven then you're on the wrong planet!

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com
(#8 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-25-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosu View Post
I don't know if you've heard of him or not but there is a polyglot on youtube whos screen name is laoshu505000 his flr technique will get you speaking german in a couple months or so

Hey, very interesting you bring up Laoshu.

Have you purchased his language program? I have seen some of his videos and while I am impressed by the man; the techniques / videos I have seen are very low-quality (i.e. Him in front of a 3 foot by 2 foot dry erase board in his bedroom) instructing on how to learn a language.

I have no doubt he is a polyglot (he learns multiple languages simultaneously!) but can't help and think a lot of it has to do with a God given ability.

Kind of like the man who sees numbers as "colors" and can recite the decimals after 3.14 of Pi accurately for hours on end.

I am hoping you can prove me wrong!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
krissgale01 (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2011, 06:55 AM

yeah German is tough language to speak. but what about Japanese. Can i learn Japanese language. I want to learn it
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ratty (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2011, 06:34 PM

i have done a beginners course in german which was fairly simple - my teacher said the first two years are very easy and then grammar gets extremely complicated after that point.

i have studied japanese for over two years and it is getting easier and easier. the more you learn the more unbelievable logical sense it starts to make. if you can master german you will be able to handle japanese in terms of grammar (japanese grammar is very straightforward. lots of simple rules to follow.)
but it depends if you have the ability to learn the characters (involving two syllabries *hiragana* and *katakana* each consisting of nearly 50 symbols, then you must go down the road of kanji (hundreds of basic kanji to learn to be able to read newspapers)

if you're not daunted by that then go for it. it is so much fun and such an interesting language to learn.

i found german and japanese compliment each other fairly well so why not start one and just dabble in the other along side for a while to see how you feel?

レイ・カワ