LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
tangomike (Offline)
JF Regular

05-29-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I don't think that China can be dealt with by force.
Military size and the like are semantics when the momentum of China can't be denied it's direction.

Economics are the last front, not bullets, or it's a lost cause.
Well I'm fairly certain America would annihilate China in a war...thats not to say the damage would be one sided but America would come out on top for sure as of now. 1 million troops, top military technology overall, military positions all over earth, allies...mountains of modern weapons.

Im also fairly certain that will never happen as shooting China in the head would also mean shooting America in the head as long as our economies are intertwined.

Its kind of like marrying a b*tchy woman who is hella rich. You want the money but you have to deal with someone you dont enjoy....the two are holding each other by the neck saying, "I dont like you but I need you"

However, any Chinese expansion will no doubt be met with opposition...it could also be what scares japan back into creating an army

Last edited by tangomike : 05-29-2011 at 08:30 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2011, 08:52 AM

It will be nice to live in a country that has renounced war. I hate war films,no
story,it's just 2 hours of shooting "OH MY GOD MAN!" significant looks...

...But then again they have gotta be ready for China. They've got to work on making those robot suits. I think they're the future.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
tangomike (Offline)
JF Regular

05-29-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
It will be nice to live in a country that has renounced war. I hate war films,no

...But then again they have gotta be ready for China. They've got to work on making those robot suits. I think they're the future.
Well Japans got an army of Gundams, Godzilla, Metal Modzilla and Mothra hidden inside Mt Fuji....didnt you know ? OH yeah and Sadako from the Ring, shes on retainer too for defense of Japan...she comes crawling out of bomb craters and kills the enemy haha

Last edited by tangomike : 05-29-2011 at 09:11 AM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-29-2011, 09:54 AM

The idea that Japan is somehow without a strong military is ridiculous. They have the 6th largest military expenditure in the world, only slightly behind Russia. They spend more than Germany does. Japan has a very strong military but it's focus is on defence rather than offence which last time I saw any surveys is how the Japanese people want it to remain. There's a few ultra-nationalists and of course some elements within the military that would like to see a more offensive role for the armed forces but most Japanese seem to be against that.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-29-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
The idea that Japan is somehow without a strong military is ridiculous. They have the 6th largest military expenditure in the world, only slightly behind Russia. They spend more than Germany does. Japan has a very strong military but it's focus is on defence rather than offence which last time I saw any surveys is how the Japanese people want it to remain. There's a few ultra-nationalists and of course some elements within the military that would like to see a more offensive role for the armed forces but most Japanese seem to be against that.
Yeah, a budget so badly spent it's laughable.
The SDF is a joke,
having said that, Japanese military could wipe out most countries' forces, just not much of a factor when we consider big-leagues

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
tangomike (Offline)
JF Regular

05-29-2011, 10:33 AM

I tend to view the SDF as ultra modern, high tech and well trained though lacking any real experience. If they were to form a real army they would be formidable even with the big boys. Japan is still the worlds 3rd or 4th leading economy and as you said they spend a lot of money on their military as it is.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

05-29-2011, 02:04 PM

Japan's defense budget is much lower with the U.S. presence, problems or not. If they were to have to fend for themselves (and I don't mean non-allied) their expenditures for defense (self or not) would be much higher than I'm sure they would like.

Then there's the boost to the local economies outside of the bases. While some military personnel mess it up for the majority, I'm sure the pulling of military installations in Japan would decimate the local economies.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Guza (Offline)
WTF!?

Send a message via AIM to Guza Send a message via MSN to Guza
05-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post

haha yeah, for some reason i can see japan making real life gundams xDD
(#19 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

05-29-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guza View Post
haha yeah, for some reason i can see japan making real life gundams xDD
But they have!

Last edited by JohnBraden : 05-29-2011 at 07:29 PM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Sure! Doesn't Japan have a defensive military these days too? Germany has about 300k soldiers who help their allies almost every time..

Japan should have a similar unit if they do not already have that!

How does the Japanese military look like these days?