JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Shabooboo (Offline)
New to JF

Shikata Ga Nai - 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM

After Japan's March 11 tsunami, I painted "SHIKATA GA NAI". My goal is to eventually sell this painting in an auction, and all the proceeds to go to a charity that is continuing helping those left from this grave disaster. The charity I am leaning towards giving funds to is SHELTERBOX.org but if anyone has another charity in mind that is continuing with help to those in Japan that was left with nothing, please let me know.
Thank you!

Here's the link to "SHIKATA GA NAI"...

YouTube - ‪SHIKATA GA NAI‬‏
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Magmell (Offline)
New to JF

05-30-2011, 01:26 AM

Hmm, what about Japan Society? They have a very large relief fund that's ongoing if you haven't donated to that one already.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-30-2011, 09:19 AM

do you think that donations are being used properly and going to those in need?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Shabooboo (Offline)
New to JF

donations properly? - 05-31-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
do you think that donations are being used properly and going to those in need?
No, I don't know and that's why I've asked this forum for advice. I put a lot of passion in my artwork, and it would be a disgrace if the funds from it were not used properly. That's why, I was leaning towards organizations such as SHELTERBOX.org because when all is lost, their little green boxes have proven to save many lives. Even though I'd much like for the funds from this painting to help in Japan's recovery effort, my eyes are open to worthy charities still involved in helping those recover from this disaster, and any advice is welcomed.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-31-2011, 07:17 PM

I didn't quite understand what you are doing, so I watched the video, and I have to ask... are you serious?!?

SHIKATA GA NAI means, as you know "It cannot be helped" which seems more than a little offensive to me when talking about a disaster of this magnitude. The painting you made is of a scene of horror and has no positive message of hope.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Shabooboo (Offline)
New to JF

06-02-2011, 02:21 PM

The Japanese are extremely proud people, a quality that is greatly admired, but the soul purpose of my painting is to help surviving people, and for the world not too soon to forget the magnitude of this disaster.