JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

Tokyo or Osaka - 07-08-2011, 08:56 PM

Which do you prefer and why? I've never been to Japan so I can't say. Although it may be harder to communicate in Osaka due to dialect, I hear Osakan people are generally friendlier?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2011, 10:37 PM

I think it'd be like comparing London to Birmingham. There's pros and cons of everywhere.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-08-2011, 11:22 PM

After a long thought process^^ I will head for Tokyo next year
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-09-2011, 12:07 AM

Why one or the other?

I wouldn`t, and haven`t, chosen to live in either of them.

If I`m going to travel to one, Osaka as it`s closer. But they`re both crowded and really quite similar.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Fr3sh (Offline)
JF Regular

07-09-2011, 04:34 AM

Since I've started to follow the J-League I've fell in love with Gamba Osaka...so even though I've never been to either, I prefer Osaka because of their football team.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2011, 03:22 AM

I visited Osaka during New Years 2011 and had a very enjoyable time.

Some benefits of Osaka versus Tokyo, I feel, are the fact people are friendly and maybe a little kinder because it isn't a huge haven for foreigners (as Tokyo seems to be.) I haven't made it to Tokyo but I am basing the previous sentence on rumors and allegations ! lol

Also, Osaka has great food and night life. It also served as a nice central hub for me when I traveled to Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Nara.

Some benefits for Tokyo versus Osaka, I feel, is that Osaka is not the most alluring of cities and some of my Japanese customers I deal with consider Osaka as "the country people." Similar to how people might view people from West Virginia or Kentucky. As I live in Ohio, I'm downright comfortable with these country folks and ya'll can keep that city vibe. lol (just playing a little but not a "huge" fan of the city but Tokyo is the bright lights and is the New York of Japan or maybe New York is the Tokyo of Japan...point is it should be interesting either way!)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-11-2011, 07:18 AM

I've live in both cities already, Osaka - 4.5 years then Tokyo for 2 years and now am back in Osaka again.

When I moved to Tokyo, I wanted to get back to Osaka immediately. I did not like the fast-paced life. My consolation was that I lived near my cousin already, my only family here in Japan.

One thing about Tokyo is that there is always something new to do. I am not saying that Osaka does not have it, but I guess being the capital and center of all new things, it will happen first in Tokyo.

Osaka's life is a bit mellow compared to Tokyo and food is definitely much better .

Though I worked in Central Tokyo I live in Kanagawa area, so it was nice

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

07-11-2011, 07:45 AM

Osaka if I had to choose between those two just because the people are actually more fun and playful

but I prefer a satellite town like Kobe or Yokohama much more

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-11-2011, 08:12 AM

I lived just about 20 minutes outside of Osaka about 15 years ago, but in recent years have developed an appreciation for Tokyo.

Personally, I like the Kansai lifestyle better, but it is pretty OK up in Tokyo, too.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

07-13-2011, 06:52 PM

Capitals are normally full of prats and in 99% of countries I'd go with the second city.
In Japan though....things are different. Osaka has quite a capitally feel and Tokyo is really nice despite its size...
I would have to go with Tokyo.

Though Nagoya over both.