JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2011, 11:49 PM

Optimism isn't exactly a crime either. We live in a rather overly pessimistic society. I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

On the flipside,I suppose I can't say what they think without living there but maybe some of those people do genuinely think those things. People are paranoid and overanalyze situations in this part of the world. I mean,there are degrees. Some of them are probably secretly racist,some of them don't think they are but then they are when they meet them,but even if it's just one,at least one of them must mean what they're saying.

(I haven't forgotten the time I was accused of 'never having been to Japan' by the way,if people are going to try and claim that they are as pessimistic as the western world then they are ones that have never been there)

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 07-31-2011 at 12:00 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-31-2011, 10:22 AM

Go Japan!! Go Japan!! Go Japan!!

I am tired of these posts here really.. you guys have zero clue on how to value their culture and Love!! The way people put our shity society in the same category is beyond me!!

tokusatsufan said it well! I haven't seen so many pessemistic people at ones.. it's more then just disgusting to me!! You guys are just cry babies because you can't be there right now or in a long time.. which is more then understandable of course.

The first time when I meet a Japanese person and say arigato gozaimasu and I will lower by head a little at him and he will return with a beautiful bow at me and I will take a bow again and he will return the bow ones again in such a beautiful and kind way and I know that he/she won't stop before I stop..

Then.. I will know that I have finally found the place!

I feel Sorry for most of you guys for your poor mindset
(#13 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

07-31-2011, 10:45 AM

boby. go crash into a brick wall

your weebo personality is just beyond annoying. you haven't even met a Japanese person and yet you already jizz your pants about Japan.

also. no Japanese would be happy to meet another delusional foreigner who sees everything with his pink glasses on.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-31-2011, 11:11 AM

I used to think Bobby was a troll, but now I just find him fascinating... And am just waiting to see how things will be for him when he actually makes it to Japan. I`m sure it will be highly entertaining... If he posts about it.

It`s amazing that those of us who actually live in Japan and have lived in Japan for truly significant amounts of time could be seen as having no clue about the "real" Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-31-2011, 12:24 PM

Of course someone who's never been to Japan before and has only met a few Japanese people whilst on holiday in Australia would have a far better understanding of the Japanese people and culture than those who've lived significant portions of their lives in Japan Nyororin!!! It only makes sense....if you're a moron!
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Go Japan!! Go Japan!! Go Japan!!

I am tired of these posts here really.. you guys have zero clue on how to value their culture and Love!! The way people put our shity society in the same category is beyond me!!

tokusatsufan said it well! I haven't seen so many pessemistic people at ones.. it's more then just disgusting to me!! You guys are just cry babies because you can't be there right now or in a long time.. which is more then understandable of course.

The first time when I meet a Japanese person and say arigato gozaimasu and I will lower by head a little at him and he will return with a beautiful bow at me and I will take a bow again and he will return the bow ones again in such a beautiful and kind way and I know that he/she won't stop before I stop..

Then.. I will know that I have finally found the place!

I feel Sorry for most of you guys for your poor mindset
Agreed with Nyororin fully!

I've seen a lot of your posts on here Bobby... but I must say, this one takes the cake.
I'm just... speechless. There's obviously no persuading you otherwise, so I guess it's pointless trying. But just remember, many of the people who reply to you live in Japan. Even I've been there for 3 weeks. I've seen and met Japanese people in their homeland, while you've only seen fellow tourists. All I can say is I can't wait to see the look on your face the second a Japanese person thinks you're strange.

And if you continue that bowing loop for that long, then I think you would put any Japanese off being polite lol
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

07-31-2011, 12:46 PM

I think the Japanese people in the video are probably being fairly genuine in as far as they do believe in what they are saying, rather than it being just token answers.

If it's anything, the people being asked have probably not considered deeply what it means to be mixed-race in Japan, because it's just not something they have in their life. The question is also a little biased towards stereotype. They asked what the image of half's was, not what the individual thought. As a result the answers are mostly based on stereotypes, which are largely positive, but still stereotypes.

Only a few of them knew anyone mixed-race closely; no one really offered up an anecdote, which may not be a very Japanese way to approach a question, but a good interviewer could prompt that if there was a basis for it. Also I think it's quite telling that they didn't find anyone who had anything negative to say. This was a one off, very quick sampling of people on the street; yes, these people likely were very positive about mixed-racial heritage in Japan, which is lovely and I'm glad to see it, but the point is, it's not representative and not very informative of the real-life experiences of halfs and the environment they live in. There are quiet but significant social problems with immigrants and integration in Japan. People with negative opinions probably wouldn't have approached the interviewers or allowed themselves to be interviewed.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-31-2011, 04:02 PM

You know... I don`t see anything particularly heart warming in this video at all.
All I see are people parroting the popular media image of mixed-race people as being cool, more attractive, smarter than average, etc etc.

When media image doesn`t match up with reality, people react MUCH differently. A "Half" who isn`t bilingual, isn`t model-like in appearance, isn`t super fashionable does NOT get a positive reaction.

I know someone who has a not-so-attractive half child. They`re not ugly. The little girl looks a lot like her dad, but has gotten the less attractive features. She`s what would be considered "average".

She has a huge complex now (in elementary school) because when people see her their remarks aren`t ones of acceptance or love. They are "What a waste." "What`s the point of having a half kid if they`re going to be this ugly." "I didn`t know halfs could be so ugly. What did her parents do wrong?" etc. Yeah, real heartwarming.

Basically, if you`re a model-looking who is perfectly bilingual and who spent part of your life abroad - you`ll be considered "cool" by the opposite sex, and loathed by the same sex because of it.

"Half" kids are looked at in the same way weeabos look at Japanese babies. Oh they`re so cute, I want to have one all my own and raise it to be cool and bi-cultural!!! Like a little dog to show off.

And before Bobby hops along and says that I don`t know the true love and superiority of the beautiful pure hearted Japanese... I have a "half" kid.

BTW - the girl at 1:26 needs to be slapped. 混合・混血 is pretty darn derogatory. You want to get a parent of a half kid to punch you - call the kid a 混血児.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-31-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I used to think Bobby was a troll, but now I just find him fascinating... And am just waiting to see how things will be for him when he actually makes it to Japan. I`m sure it will be highly entertaining... If he posts about it.

It`s amazing that those of us who actually live in Japan and have lived in Japan for truly significant amounts of time could be seen as having no clue about the "real" Japan.
I'm the furthest from a troll Nyororin. It scares me that people even think that, after all my posts on here. It gives you a great indication on why the Western society doesn't work anymore.

Oh I doupt I will spend one second in front of a computer screen with pessimistic people in a virtual world while I am in beautiful Nippon-koku. Every second is going to be LIFE sourrounded by people who are like me!!
I wasted too much time already and I am already 23.. I need to catch up for what I've lost after my World trip 3 years ago now..
I plan on never returning except for my Honeymoon^^ so I might as well write again while being in Japan/Korea/South-East Asia/China/Taiwan.. who knows

I also never said that I would know the real Japan either.. I only said that I know the difference between Asia and our World.

And that I Love Asia so, so , so much more BECAUSE OF THEIR WONERFUL PEOPLE and that I want to become old on this part of the world, cause otherwise my life wouldn't be fulfiled.

Last edited by BobbyCooper : 07-31-2011 at 04:41 PM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

07-31-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
And before Bobby hops along and says that I don`t know the true love and superiority of the beautiful pure hearted Japanese... I have a "half" kid.
You're forgetting that Bobby knows far more than you though Nyororin. He may never have been to Japan before but he knows far more about the people and culture and well just about anything to do with Japan than you ever could. Just because you've lived there for a good portion of your life and you're fluent in the language and happen to be married to a Japanese guy and have a half child is all meaningless to Bobby. Remember he spent a little time with some Japanese people whilst on holiday in Australia. He knows all about Japan and its' people!!
Closed Thread