JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Historyboy (Offline)
New to JF

What 'pre-history' is taught in Japanese schools? - 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Hi. New to the site as I've been looking to find out about what history (pre kofun) is taught to Japanese students. I appreciate that much may be conjecture, but am interested to know if the question of origins is touched on.

Here in the UK, we are given a general awareness of our ancestry at school, I just wondered whether it is touched on in Japan. Or is it the case that they are taught that the Japanese are 'just japanese' as a friend of a friend said.

It's probably quite a delicate subject...

Thanks in advance for any leads.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-02-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historyboy View Post
Hi. New to the site as I've been looking to find out about what history (pre kofun) is taught to Japanese students. I appreciate that much may be conjecture, but am interested to know if the question of origins is touched on.

Here in the UK, we are given a general awareness of our ancestry at school, I just wondered whether it is touched on in Japan. Or is it the case that they are taught that the Japanese are 'just japanese' as a friend of a friend said.

It's probably quite a delicate subject...

Thanks in advance for any leads.
Normally, any Japanese history course at a Japanese school starts at the Paleolithic Age, which is usually not given more than an hour of classroom time because that age never saw much developement in arts and sciences despite its length. We, then, quickly move onto Jomon and Yayoi Periods, which are always treated in depth in school. Then comes the Kofun Period that you mentioned.

As for the question of origin, some teachers may touch upon it but there simply is no convincing set of evidence to support any theories, which is why it is not officially "taught" at any level before college or graduate school.

Thus, we do not know where we come from. I personally wanted to know the answer when I was young but not anymore. I am big enough to let certain things remain as mysteries.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Historyboy (Offline)
New to JF

08-02-2011, 05:57 AM

Masaegu,

Thank you for your helpful response. I think that was pretty much the answer I was expecting, but it's always good to check these things out rather than assuming.

Thank you again